Wednesday, June 12, 2019

KCBS Weather Orgy; Bunger Goofy Weather Chatter; Jim Taylor Mellowness at Night; Somerville and Ibanez KTVU Factoids; Wednesday Wash

Image result for san francisco media 1976 WEDNESDAY WASH


Heat wave? What heat wave? Was there a heatwave? I haven't heard or seen one dang notice of a heatwave, other than...


*KCBS spending over 5 minutes --twice during the top of the hour and some shlunk interviewing other shlunks at the GG Bridge: "yeah, looks like fog's coming." Yeah, that sorta happens here. Eventually the fog rolls in but thanks, KCBS, for the tips. How informative.


*Stan Bunger's increasingly aggressive weather chatter. Bunger gets real hyper when there's a big heat wave or cold front, almost to a point where other things take a back seat, like real news, for instance!


*In LA, they get a lot of hot days. LOTS. But you don't see their TV/Radio folks go off the deep end like you see the morons here do. What a debacle.


*TWO Big, YUGE Trump supporters at KTVU: Julie Haener and Heather Holmes. Figures.


*Brian Murphy reminds me of the Ann Richards line about George Bush Sr: "Born on third base and thought he hit a triple."


 I had it FIRST about Jessica Castro.  Way before FTV Live.


*Speaking of KCBS, a great treasure to hear Jim Taylor anchor the evening news last (Tuesday) night. Taylor, the Bay Area native, has come back to SF from a long stint at CBS News in New Yawk, another story I got, FIRST.


Taylor has a great repertoire and comfort delivery. He's as good as ever. It's a catchy style that sounds folksy and sincere as opposed to someone who is clearly in love with their voice and has no news acumen whatsoever.


Taylor, I hope, will get a permanent gig, hopefully the 7-11 PM shift but he'd be great in any slot, day or night.


*Thoughts and prayers go out to sports anchor, Bruce MacGowan.


*I don't have to like someone personally to like them on the air: Frank Somerville. Frank and I met as students at the broadcast dept.at SF State in the 1980's. He was/is a nice guy. But Frank has to understand when you get a high-profile gig you're subject to public scrutiny, including divorce and other personal issue, yeah Frank, damn the Internet.


*Ditto Mark Ibanez who I met at a coffee shop in Oakland in 1981. Like Frank, Mark is a good guy who has also succumbed to Internet sensations. I'm not a boy scout; never was. I have issues in my life too but I never left a friend mourning and grieving in a bar.

24 comments:

  1. I knew there was something I didn't like about Julie Haener and Heather Holmes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The LA folks save their deep end act for 0.10 inch rain events, and cold snaps where the temperature drops below 65 degrees.

    I was down there a while back, and one station did a "breaking news" field report from a grocery store parking lot. It was raining lightly, very lightly, and the focus of the report was marginal puddling on the pavement. The reporter delivered this "news" in a tone that bordered on hysterical; screaming, voice cracking, quivering finger pointing at the barely visible puddles. I thought it was a joke, and I got a big laugh out of it, but they were being serious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holmes being pro-Hairpiece is not a surprise. But I remember when Haener bragged about the music of Dave Matthews, not exactly an orange hair-loving South African-born, Virginia-residing rocker. I guess the Firm has been brainwashing a once well-respected anchor, now fortunate that KTVU still leads the overall news ratings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Richard Strauss, Karl Böhm and Walter Gieseking (look them up; they're not pop musicians) but that hardly makes me a Nazi sympathizer. And I've read L. Frank Baum but that doesn't mean I want to slaughter native Americans. And I watch Tiger Woods play golf, but don't endorse his extra-marital behavior.

      Delete
    2. Yes...because every piece of idle gossip is 100% correct without the facts.

      Delete
    3. I never though I'd be saying this, but I feel sorry for Heather when Alex is off.

      Delete
  4. Don't know if he's been reading you or not but last night Ibañez referred to Larry Biel on air as his good friend.

    Yup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Figures ... birds of a feather.

      Delete
  5. Brian Murphy?....the lady who used to read the news in North Korea was less of a homer than Brian Murphy. No time for that ridiculous show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first time I met Julie Haener, when she was just a weekend anchor, I could tell in two minutes she had the IQ of a walnut yet thought she was the smartest one in the room, so I'm not surprised about Trump. Never met Heather, but if you can't tell the difference between dressing for a newscast and dressing for a dance club in SoMa then I'm not surprised. Both were hired because they're purdy blondes; just listen to their silly ad-libs after a reporter tosses back: "Oh, gee, so I guess he's sad that someone stole his electric wheelchair. How sad!" "So I'll bet those BART commuters who were stuck on the tracks for three hours were unhappy later..." Einsteins they ain't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you upset they dont have cisgender boy haircuts like the ladies on MSNBC and CNN?

      Breaking news: they don't swing the way those ladies do.

      Delete
    2. I don't know what cisgender means and I don't watch MSNBC or CNN. Or KTVU for that matter. But I used to work at KTVU, and Haener was and is one of their dimmer bulbs, as I said. I'll leave it to you to watch anchors and get your jollies over their haircuts.

      Delete
  7. Julie and Heather are vacuous and without a TelePrompTer, total airheads. Jessica Aguirre would be a great anchor for KTVU. Aguirre is experienced, smart and attractive. NBC Bay Area is stupid not offering her a contract.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's over 50, so they know she has few options. They can play like that when you're over 50. When you're in your 30s, they cum all over you.

      Delete
  8. I'd grab Julie and Heather by the Haener.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rich you called it 100% on Jessica Castro. Now ABC 7 mornings is anchored by two people who act like they're still in High School. What an embarrassment. Usually people leave voluntarily because of bad management or a better offer. Humm wonder which one this is considering her Twitter account says she "taking time off".

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I know why I just love Julie and Heather!! Thanks for the info Rich.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always liked Julie Haener. Now I like her even more! Funny, though, how you only know of 2. There are plenty more, they just don't want to be outed among the Bay's oh-so open-minded media community, who can't stomach differing opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trump supporters = white people who don't like the fact their neighborhoods and lifestyles are changing (egg. Asian in the Bay Area, Hispanic everywhere else). Selfish view: I made money, bought a nice house, and now all these foreigners are coming in and ruining my neighborhood. Enlightened view: Change is good, I like learning about new cultures, trying new food, helping newcomers adapt to the USA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all change is good. Change produces unintended consequences. Like learning about other cultures? Take some anthropology classes and leave us white people alone.

      Delete
  13. Heather, are U really a Trumper...
    Very disappointed 😞

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always liked Julie and Heather. Now I like them even more. Imagine, two people with more than 1 brain cell in the media!! It's very rare, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mark Ibanez looks like he is 80 years old with the beard and whatever he has on his face. Get rid of the face hair.

    ReplyDelete