Saturday, July 21, 2018

Larry Beil Back Stabs Mike Shumann

Image result for Larry Beil Mike Shumann KGO
Larry Beil (left) and Mike Shumann
DURING and after his travails in San Antonio, Mike Shumann, the former KGO-TV weekend anchor and Warriors' reporter who was fired over a nothing burgernever heard a word from his partner, longtime anchor, Larry Beil. Not a peep. Nothing.

Nada.

Which is surprising since Beil has worked alongside Shumann a good decade and appeared to be quite friendly with Shumann but hasn't said anything supportive nor even offered a simple pat on the back.

Almost all the KGO people have contacted Shumann either directly or through a Facebook post that Shumann talked about his ordeal. They all offered support and assistance, if necessary.

Conspicuously, Beil didn't offer anything. Not a word of support.

You can say that maybe Beil doesn't want to compromise his position with the Warriors because he's scared and spineless. And you would be right.

Beil has backstabbed many in the business so Shumann is no different. When I asked Shumann directly had Beil contacted him via phone or e-mail, he said no. It was nothing vindictive and he (Shumann) was polite and diplomatic--he could have spun off the wheel and get angry but he refrained.

I won't.

Almost the entire KGO newsroom is supportive of Shumann and believes he got the short end of the stick when he was fired. There was no "resignation"--Shumann signed off on a deal under severe duress that would give him a modest severance because he was concerned about taking care of his family and his own well-being. There is and was never a "resignation" which is why Shumann is consulting with lawyers.

I believe him.

Beil is the only KGO employee who hasn't reached out. It's OK, he has a right. And so do other people like myself who thinks he's a weasel.

12 comments:

  1. Some people are real pussies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have not liked Biel from day one at ABC7. He seems to think every time he opens his mouth he has to say something funny. His "cute" funniness isn't funny it's extremely irritating!

    If I want to watch grown men acting "cute and stupid" I'll watch the late evening talk shows, which I never do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Schumann did something really bad and "resigned," apparently as a polite alternative to being fired.

    Too bad he made a really stupid mistake but he did. Don't see why this is still a story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What nonsense. I like Beil's work in the studio and doing interviews. He's one of the best highlight presenters around. He also does a good job as the news anchor when called on for those duties.

    He might be hard to work with and have a huge ego - which is exactly how Shumann came across on the air. The arrogance from Shumann was out of place for a guy who was so-so at his job. At least Beil is really good at what he does. I don't miss Shumann a bit, and I'm surprised you are defending him so much here, Rich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't remember anyone from KGO publicly supporting Shumann. Everything that occurred, including Shumann's refusal to defend himself at the time, other than saying there was a miscommunication, makes me think most people felt he was guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you know??? Doesn't all KGO 7 or any reporter of another tv station either backstab or not get along with one or another?

    Kristen Sze against Natasha
    Natasha against Reggie

    Enjoy his retirement!! Look at Dave and Doug from KPIX, gone at a not too senior age.


    I like Larry more than Mike!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natasha loves everyone.

    Natasha smells like strawberry's from Watsonville.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If your not guilty in your resignation you say, "While I admit go no wrong doing, I believe it is in the best interest of both KGO and myself to part at this time." Instead Shumann said this (including he caused embarrassment to KGO and didn't exhibit appropriate integrity):

    "It is with sadness that I announce that ABC7 news and I have decided to amicably part ways after 24 years together.

    I regret any embarrassment I have caused the station. My recent actions do not reflect the high standard of conduct expected at KGO. Nor do they represent the integrity with which I have conducted my professional sports and broadcast careers.

    I have nothing but great memories working here and covering four World Series, three Super Bowls, three NBA championship runs, a Stanley Cup and two U.S. Opens.

    I want to wish the station and all my fantastic colleagues at ABC 7 the best as they move forward. It has been my pleasure to work with you.

    I also want to thank all the great viewers that have supported me over the years through thick and thin. It has been a great run from a Super Bowl Champion with the 49ers to riding in parades with other World champs here in the City by the Bay. As a 40 year resident I am humbled by the support and will never forget how fortunate I have been to ride the wave of Bay Area greatness.


    Hope to see you down the road.

    Very truly yours,
    Mike Shumann"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shumann created this shenanigan himself. Beil is correct and smart to stay out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's a "back story" to the Shumann story....a missing piece of some kind. He pretty much apologized right away....then - a long silence. Now - the "I'm innocent - poor me" gig. Something's not right...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the unedited security tape is the "missing piece" to which you refer.

      Delete
  11. Larry Biel, like Ronn Owens and Gary Radnich are all cut from the same cloth.
    How to betray your coworkers.
    The word cowardice comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete