Thursday, March 29, 2018

Jesse Gary Mystery at KTVU; Morning Not So Glory at Fox2 in Spite of Success; Ama Daetz Back at KGO and I'm Delighted; Happy Passover and Easter; 415 Media Thursday; Play Ball


Related image Veteran Reporter, Jesse Gary, most recently at KTVU is either, A. not at KTVU anymore (under mysterious circumstances) or B. is still at KTVU but he's not on the station's website roster ...and his LinkedIn account is KTVU nada.

Maybe I smelled something odd not so long ago but who knows.

Gary's Facebook page still has a KTVU badge but it was a long time ago.

Which shows you how some news stations regard a prominent reporter who suddenly disappears from the screen without reason. And when viewers wonder what happened, to heck with viewers.

Gary is not considered a high-profile talent which might explain why he's been suddenly MIA from KTVU. Even pre-Fox days, this sort of thing fits a pattern.

I inquired to a station source about his (Gary's status) and the source was oddly vague. Translation: doesn't know.

Something is amiss --he hasn't been on the air for some time and his whereabouts are unknown. Maybe he woke up one day and got tired of covering fires in Hayward and did what a lot of TV reporters do lately: go into PR and have some stability in life.

Image result for ktvu news*MORE KTVU: Its morning platforms are still humming. The early news and "MO2" continue to rule the ratings but the tranquility and serenity has become greatly diminished. Why? Because there's a noticeable sea change at KTVU. The big and little people on the screen and behind the scenes seem to be more anxious these days. Sure, ratings are still high but there's significantly less viewers these days because of social media and a gazillion alternatives. There was a time when it was FUN to go into the office and get paid pretty good dough to read the teleprompter. It still beats working for a living but the strain is clearly evident.

To wit:

Sal Castaneda used to be a perfectly fine traffic anchor with just enough wit and personality to carry the day.

Now, Sal has apparently been infected with mass-ego influenza and capped an attitude.

Dave Clark is a really nice guy but doesn't register well with some viewers because he comes across as cold as an Alaskan winter.

Gasia Mikaelian has finally realized that I'm not the only one who thinks she's sort of phony and embarrasses the station.

Pam Cook is so, so, misused --everyone knows that except the suits.

Image result for pam cook rich lieberman ktvu*I'm glad and delighted Ama Daetz is back (from maternity leave) at KGO. Daetz gets a lot of heat (sometimes deserved) for being blase about her anchoring style but truth be told, Daetz is doing best what she's paid to do: calmly read the news and look as splendid as you do. Daetz delivers on both counts. And that's the only thing that matters.

Image result for Catherine Heenan KRON*Still miss Rita Williams --class act on and off the air.

FINALLY...

Tomorrow is Passover and I will be without my best friend and soulmate ...Go ahead, kick me for having the audacity to bring this up, (Again!); for having the gall to tell you that it'll be a different and sad holiday for me.

It's so weird that the time to feel blessed and happy as friends and family gather to eat and reflect I will once again be tormented.

I share this because some of you continue to ask what's up, how I'm faring --it sounds a bit self-pitied but truth is, I'm miserable and haven't quite been able to cope. You find that wussy, fine, sue me.

Wishing all you a happy Passover and Easter; see ya.

OH, and Play Ball!






22 comments:

  1. Okay, it's possible I might be hallucinating, but I saw Jesse Gary on the 10 O'clock News just the other evening. Maybe earlier this week, maybe towards the end of last week, no more than a week ago. He was billed as "Fox 2's South Bay Reporter Jesse Gary" and did a standup near Highway 17. If he's gone AWOL, it has to have happened very recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I just saw him too and I'm sure it was within the last week or so. May have been a report on the Tesla crash in Mtn View.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rich- thanks for checking up on Jesse Gary. He has a unique intensity - one that doesn't come across as overbearing or false. Just a genuine interest in what he's covering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rich, the loss of a loved one can stay with you for months! This is perfectly acceptable behavior!! Don't be so hard on yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second 2:21. Find something positive this Passover, even if it's trivial like the A's winning their season opener in walk-off fashion.

      Delete
  5. Agreed with the posts above. I've seen Jesse Gary within the past few days. Maybe it's because he usually reports from locations in greater San Jose that you've missed him?

    There is definitely an attitude here that SJ is still the world's largest cow town and deserves no respect, but there are far more people living in SJ than any other city in north of L.A., and newsworthy stuff does happen there on a constant basis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jesse reported on the Tesla crash in Mountain View last week. Live shots for the evening newscasts and a full package for 10, 11pm News.... Fellow South Bay reporter Azenith Smith just returned from maternity leave, so perhaps Jesse is enjoying a week off...maybe??? The real mystery at KTVU is Rob Malcolm.... He literally vanished from channel 2, but I think he may return soon. Another big time mystery to me is Monte Francis, who rarely gets stories or on air time. And what about Anne Reuben? A couple stories a week, but very under-used.... ALSO, Bill Martin has been out all week. Rosemary Orozco and Mark Taymo both have filled in. Keep in mind Bill is a father and this is Spring Break time.... Holmes is out all week on vacation, so Rendon and Claudine Wong are her fill ins. Wayne took some time off as well. NOT MUCH CONSISTENCY AT KTVU! They seem to always have someone "out"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dave Clark maybe a nice guy but he is ignorant and phony..Sal has been Foxified so badly they've made him a prima donna...his traffic radios are too loud and the viewer can't hear him over the roar...Steve P.'s tweets suck and Pam Cook needs a major makeover..Nobody I know (except stupid me) watches this station.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 100% in agreement about Dave Clark. KCAL groomed him to compete in the L.A. market and it stuck. Wide-eyed inflection with nearly every sentence that comes out of his mouth.

    I saw Rob Malcom almost every night over the past week. I like him a lot, and if went missing I'd have noticed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right.... Not sure how I missed Rob last week, but I saw him live from Sacramento today... I agree, very solid reporter.

      Delete
  9. Does Dave Clark still commute to Oakland from LA?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember when Mornings on 2 was actually entertaining. You had Mark Curtis, Frank Somerville and female anchors doing the news, Ross McGowan with good interviews, and Steve McPartlin with features.

    I think the downhill slide began with the release of Mark Curtis, Frank S. going to nights, and Ross McGowan leaving. The last time I saw him he was doing walk-in tub commercials.

    Now we have Dave Clark who appears to be reading the news to a wall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They basically let Mark go because--get this--he was getting OLD. And chubby. I think the TV suits worry a lot more about this than actual viewers. The suits would rather have a charmless robot who's thin than an anchor or reporter with personality and intelligence who's not shaped like a GQ model. Which is why TV is as boring as it is. It's run by morons. Seriously, the dumbest people I've ever met in my entire life work in TV news management, which is why I had to get out of that idiotic "business."

      Delete
  11. Rich, no worries...I believe a simple majority of us have been there, & done that. My Mon died on Easter Sunday in 2004, so it is always a day of deep reflection, no matter what day Easter falls on. I'm not going to tell you, "it gets better," but with time it will ease up a bit.

    For the longest time I felt like an orphan...And dear gawd, Mothers Day made me remember with each TV ad, that I was without a Mother. Mothers Day is still very hard Rich, but what I did was send a Mother's Day Card to all my Aunts, Cousins, & Friends with Children, to make up for the fact that I could no longer send that Mothers Day Card to my Mom. Stay Strong Rich, you will get through this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I lost my mom long ago and still miss her although she's been gone for some time.

      Rich is a trooper keeping the blog going during a sad time in his life, and anyone that puts him down need to move on. Many of us care and are saying prayers for him.

      Delete
  12. Judging from Ama's blouse, Maternity Leave has been an "uplifting" experience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's the farthest thing from "wussy" to miss your mom. Geez, if anyone gives you shit about that, they aren't human. I can't imagine one ever gets over the loss. Mention it all you want. I am terrified for when my time to mourn comes ;_;

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sal (Brick) loves lamp. And apparently the buffet too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just keep letting us know how you are doing. We care about you and those of us who have lost their Mom understand what you are going through. I still want to pick up the phone and call my Mom who has been gone for 24 years. Try and remember all the wonderful times you had with her. Love and prayers to you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Update 4/3/18: Mr. Gary is working, right now, reporting on the Youtube shooting in San Bruno and he's holding a KTVU microphone (although I'm watching him on FoxNews). Perhaps he was just on vacation/personal leave earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad Ama Daetz is back. Kirsten & Dion can't hold a candle to her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love ama datez she does a great job each and every day she gives 100% and more. πŸŒΉπŸ˜πŸŒΌπŸŒžπŸ¦‹πŸŒˆπŸ’š❤πŸ˜πŸŒΉπŸŒΌπŸŒžπŸŒžπŸ¦‹πŸŒˆπŸ’š❤keep going.

    ReplyDelete