Tuesday, November 7, 2017

The Bay Area's 'Marathon Man'; KGO-TV's Ashley: Never a Bad Word About Veteran Anchor; Circle7 News Man Heavy Work Load No Problem; 415 Media Tuesday PM Wrap-Up

Image result for Dan Ashley
Ashley with co-anchor, Ama Daetz
ONE OF THE CONSTANTS of the TV/Radio biz; it's something that's so unfortunate but nonetheless reality; a real bummer; is people talking behind one's back. Happens in every town and city; doesn't matter if its small pickens or big city. And it's not just that; it's the inevitable "hey, did you hear about 'such and such'--what a jerk!", etc.

Which brings me to veteran KGO (ABC7) lead news anchor, Dan Ashley,  one of my favorites.

I mention Ashley in this posting because I have NEVER heard a bad word said about him. Never. It is astonishing, quite frankly, because even someone as nice as Ashley, you inevitably hear something negative, some bad story; it's a fact not only in life, but especially Big market TV News.

Ashley is the Bay Area's "Marathon Man"; I've mentioned before his workload routinely involves an astounding 5 newscasts a night; 5! OK, so he's not doing heavy lifting but five broadcasts a night is pretty darn impressive and you know me, I'm not much of a believer of anyone.

Ashley impresses me because he's a hard worker. He never slouches nor lags. He can work with anyone and everybody no matter how fluid or combustible. Generally, there's always something going on in life; your life, mine. With the Marathon Man, he doesn't take his issues into the office. In this day and age, that's quite a distinction. 

Am I being unusually flowery? Yeah, it's not always fun, ripping.

With KGO's Ashley, there's nothing to rip --at least for now.

17 comments:

  1. What impresses me about Dan is the fact that whoever he is anchoring with, their able to elevate their game. Case in point, Marie, when she first started.she wasvsolid with him. Now she's just a clown like the rest of the a.m. gang. A damn shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed... Dan Ashley is the best in the Bay Area. However, I am currently watching the one thing he cannot do, which is make Dion Lim look good. Who is she (besides horrible)? With her fake faux-anchor voice, she is just awful. Why ABC7 ever hired her is a mystery to me. I can't blame Dan Ashley, though. I just wish he could make her better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree. She's terrible. Just leave him with Kristen Sze. Lim is over her head. Too over caffeinated.

      Delete
  3. Plus it’s entertaining to see what his hair will look like on any given day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember feeling badly for Dan when Pete Wilson came to KGO and took over the main anchor chair. Not that Pete didn't deserve it, but Dan seems like such a good guy and a consummate professional.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got it right. Dan's the man, one of the very best in the business.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's nice to hear-- I've always enjoyed watching him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kudos to Amy Hollyfield too, KGO's morning field reporter. Day in and day out around the Bay Area, she delivers great reports. This morning, they just showed a montage of her No. Bay fire reports and it was a great reminder how good she is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is sweet and charming in a cutthroat business. Some are able to rise above it all...that's Amy!

      Delete
  8. Dan is more friendly than Frank, both anchors I like. Frank doesn't really smile and perfect choice to replace Dennis Richmond who doesn't smile and look serious on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dan Ashley was born to anchor. A trusting, calming voice. No frills. No BS. Just straight as an arrow. All of you other pretenders, please take note. Especially the youth hostel that does the morning news on the same station.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agreed many times over. I feel I owe Dan an apology for not watching at 6 and 11 last night. I have enough stress in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Someday, perhaps those who've been designed as your ripping targets will leave the business. Fatnich, Wonder Bra, Reggie Boy, Natasha Fatale, etc. But they deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's just nice to have a familiar face on the air every night for decades. Dan and the team at 7 do a nice job. He's a pro's pro. His hair looks pretty good now to be fair, but that's neither here nor there. At least he’s got some!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well-deserved praise for a true professional. I've been watching Dan for years. He is among the Bay Area's best ever. In my book, Dan's up there with Amburg, Richmond and Macalhhatton. Thanks for the steady hand, and voice - keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. He always seems like a nice guy on the air-- I'm glad to hear that he is in real life.

    ReplyDelete