Monday, January 25, 2021

Larry King In Depth from a Personal Standpoint

 AROUND THREE DAYS AFTER MY MOM PASSED, in March of 2018, I got a call from Larry King--out of nowhere. I was always calling Larry; rarely he called me. (Insert joke)


He called to console me. A good friend of mine who was a good fried of Larry's called Larry to tell him of my mom's passing. In his vintage ways, Larry called me and told me to stay strong and not to worry --that my mother was in a better place --and that my mom would want me to carry on and not feel sad.
















I'm not telling the proper story. You had to be there. One thing Larry King was not was a schmuck.  He really was a good man. And a total real person, not in any way fake. Nothing like some people here in SF that I know.


*In January of 1987, I invited Larry to dinner at Oakland Tribune columnist, Perry Phillip's home-- a palatial mansion in Danville. I arranged for a limo to take us all: myself and a date; Larry and his date, Sylvia Chase on ABC and KRON, to arrive in Danville. It was bigtime. Parry's daughter, Frosene Phillips and a cast of thousands. It was a Saturday night that went late. The day after Larry would take a red eye back to Washington and do his Monday show on Mutual --his 12 AM --5 AM radio show. It was that night and early Monday Morning that Larry was having chest pains. Extremely painful. So much pain in fact that King drove himself to George Washington Hospital after he signed off which is good since at the ICU a doctor told Larry, "Mr. King, you're having a heart attack." 


*In 1984, me, then a wide-eyed 22 year-old working for K-101 and dooing free-lance work for ABC Radio got coveted floor pass press credentials for the Democratic Convention at Moscone Center. While I walked the floor and got to interview Ted Kennedy and Fritz Hollings, Larry King invited me up to the CNN VIP box to watch him do his Mutual Radio show. This was a blast. Again, not only was I able to schmooze with Larry, but sit in real time and watch him do his broadcast for the network.


*January, 1988, I flew to Washington and was a guest on Larry's 10th (then) anniversary show for Mutual --a special broadcast from the Duke Ziebert's restaurant --a place Larry would talk about all the time on radio. Tonight, I was amongst celebrity/political royalty at Duke's: Chuck Norris, Ted Koppel, Pat Sajak, Sam Donaldson, Janet Jackson, virtually all of Washington's elite, I was there and a guest of Larry.  A night I'll never forget.


*October, 1988. Dateline: Oakland. The World Series.  I was at all the games --it was the Dodgers and the A's. During the home portion of the A's participation, I was able to interview baseball comish, Peter Ueberroth --direct from  Crogans in Downtown Oakland on Larry King's Mutual show. Talk about timing and talk about being in the right place at the right time. 


*As I said, Larry King was NOT a phony. He was real, genuine, a rel mensch. He really was all about being a good guy, a true friend. And about as sincere and genuine as it gets.


I'm proud and honored to have known him for so many years and something I'll always cherish.

8 comments:

  1. Nice tribute and personal accounts, Rich. Extending sympathies to all who were touched by Larry's extraordinary and inimitable presence.

    Larry's considerable favorable traits transferred very well to his extensive body of work. Seeing or reading/hearing about Larry, on TV and other media, always put a smile on my face. His positive energy, journalistic excellence, and honest nature will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I worked swing or graveyard in the late 70s and early 80s, there were two great voices in the night ... Ray Taliafero and Larry King.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rich, great story. He sounded like a down to earth person. Used to listen to his overnight show on Mutual back during the 1980s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listened to the Mutual show most nights. I remember he treated the callers and guests with respect without regard to social status. He was quick and funny. He could tell poignant stories as well stories of sport, politics or the news of the day. Listening to him on the radio show was like shooting the shit with a friend. I have not had that feeling with any other host radio or TV
    He was a true part of Americana and will be missed


    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice story. Too much name dropping though. Makes it weak.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had the chance to know him and did some things too. One of my cousins met him many moons ago and she said he was a kind and first class gentleman. She was a big fan and was very sad when he crossed over to the big talk show in the sky.

    RIP Larry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stories and he took the time when you were to young after a chance meeting.

    What baffles me is that a 2nd city newspaper writer had a palatial estate in Danville.

    Wonder what the convo was in that limo with Larry and Sylvia.

    And yeah i’d be curious to hear the names of the other luminaries at the party to paint the word picture. Sounds like such a fitting party for the era!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed his radio show. He didn't use a screener. Yes once and a while some fool would get on. But he was always enjoyable and had a good subject.
    Rest in Peace.

    ReplyDelete