Saturday, March 14, 2020

Thurston's Emotional, Gut-Wrenching Interview on KGO (AUDIO) ; Mal Sharpe Dies

Image result for sf bay area zip code map

*ON Friday, KGO's Pat Thurston explained, in an emotionally-frightening interview with Nikki Medoro, her health-scare malady --it's worth a listenr (Here's the AUDIO)

Thurston's test result of coronavirus won't be known until Monday.

*Saturday around SF --a ghost town in full frontal mode --with the rain pounding down, the streets are empty. So too the restaurants as people hunker down and hope for better news.

*We'll be telling people in the years ahead how we lived and went through this crisis and it will dominate the conversation, as it should.

Image result for pat thurston guy thurston
Pat Thurston
*KGO --more importantly, the old KGO, was a community bar where people could commiserate and vent--the new KGO has seen a return to the vintage form, with excellent work from John Rothmann and Chip Franklin. Even Medoro, on Friday, did good work and allowed listeners a place to hang out and ease their collective anxiety and not go bonkers. I've been rip-city on PD Lee Hammer but Hammer deserves high marks for breaking format and allowing host to take over and add much-needed levity for a city and area in need of all of that.


*Mal Sharpe, the MOS king of interview, died on Tuesday.

He was 83.

Sharp's engaging man-on-street interviews were a significant part of Bay Area broadcast lore. He was a very cool man too with legendary wit and intensely funny irreverence. A major RIP to Mr. Sharpe.

Image result for mal sharpe
Mal Sharpe


19 comments:

  1. Damn it, Mal Sharpe, you are irreplaceable and needed right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard (at least most of) Thurston being interviewed. She did sound sick and scared (I feel for her). I understand the frustration of not being able to easily get tested if at all. The testing protocols are just too restrictive, at least at Kaiser, where I go. Even so, it doesn't do much good to know whether I've got Covid19 or not as there's no cure or vaccine anyway. I'm an older guy now and remind myself people are dying from this virus at my age, therefore, taking precautions and pretty much quarantining myself, washing hands, etc. Best wishes to Thurston even though I've never listened to her shows (I'm more of a 560 AM guy).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh,sorry to hear about Mal. My parents laughed at his man in the street act. I remember how quick he was to jab,and yet nobody was offended...much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read a timeline of Donald Trump's & aides statements on the Coronavirus. From not two weeks ago "We have it contained said Trump"..to "The President feels fine and has no need to be tested" said aides.
    When I read he met with some Australian who tested positive? I knew Trump is way too cowardly not to be tested even as he told Americans "It was just a flu and Democratic hoax"
    Trump would sacrifice virgins if he had the virus and that was the cure. "How many virgins?..those brown ones we have locked up at the border should do" 'One less band of Mariachi singers,no loss.".

    Really, just think as criminal and selfish and cowardly as you can and you too can be a predictor of Trump's next move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are still as crazy as ever! Why Rich lets you use his platform to spew your nonsense is beyond me.

      Delete
    2. What a moron you are, Stan.

      Trump said Friday he will be tested regardless. Virgins? Seriously?

      Rich, what is this with you letting this idiot post again. Unless you like the responses he draws which lowers your blogs relevance and validity.

      Delete
    3. And BTW, I'm no Trump supporter but facts are facts.

      Delete
    4. Does this man think he is entertaining?

      Delete
  5. Man up, snowflakes! Your odds of being killed by some idiot texting and driving are many hundreds of times higher than dying from this virus. Learn how to read statistics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never realized that Sharpe began his great MOS routine in his 20s. Please say that some other health issues led to this too-soon passing, and not what has been going on this calendar year.
    And I absolutely agree with Christine's post above. Miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved Mal !!!! And I, too, absolutely agree with Rich's and Christine's well-put tributes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh boo hoo. Poor Pat got sick. Her call and vehemence were certainly dramatic. On the verge of tabloid. Look, this is an unprecedented situation. People will be getting sick. Some will die. At the same time they are complaining about getting sick, they are still out there in public spaces, with other people and not following distance guidelines. Yes, we know we are not equipped to deal with this as well as some other countries have.
    There is no argument there. But the best use of the soapbox now is for washing hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seem like you are making fun of Pat's call, or at least not taking it very seriously. As for her facebook post, are you sure it was recent? Pat was out for about 2 weeks with the flu, then she was back on the air, saying she was feeling much better, then she got sick again and was out last week, not wonder she is scared and frustrated. I listened to her interview it sounded honest and I don't see the need to diminish it.

      Delete
  9. So did they sneeze on each other?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pat, eh, she said she's already feeling better on twitter. Chill out, Rich.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so bad that even the hookers in the Tenderloin are practicing social distancing.

    Oh the humanity!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mal Sharpe nabbed me for one of his "Man on the Street" interviews while I was walking past Sutter and Grant (or somewhere around there) in 2000. I remember panicking at first and thinking he would make me look like a fool on TV if I stopped and talked to him, but I stopped anyway. I can't remember exactly what he asked me - I think it was something about my job. Very nice guy. If that segment was ever broadcast, I never saw it and nobody else mentioned seeing it.

    ReplyDelete