Thursday, February 20, 2020

KNBR 'TKB' Delivers on Thursday PM Drive; A 'No-Soup' Rant and Karl Interview Elicits LOL Laughter (Audio) 415 Media Thumbs Up

Image result for TKB KNBR
From left: Tom Tolbert, Larry Krueger, and Roderick Brooks on "TKB" connect

I RIP KNBR constantly, the all-sports AM 680 AM (and FM 104.5) radio juggernaut--you read me, you know how I feel.

But when there's solid and good, interesting radio, I will applaud too.

Today (Thursday) I listened to its "TKB" afternoon show, (2-6PM) and was pleasantly surprised to hear quality radio, quality sports-talk radio, more importantly, real, genuine, entertaining radio, so entertaining and fun I actually laughed hard and thorough, and I'm tough to please.

The first entertaining go-through was the hosts, Tom Tolbert, Larry Krueger, and Roderick Brooks talking with and interviewing former NBA coach, George Karl, who was discussing the inside of NBA Basketball and today's game. It wasn't your standard, garden-variety, jock talk that only diehards like; no, it was more like three guys sitting in a bar drinking beer and talking hoop, sports, jokes, your having-a-blast and getting a buzz, which was evident today minus the hosts having a buzz because beer wasn't evident, but you get my point.

HERE'S PROOF IN THE PUDDING: give a listen here and tell me if you agree.

Yes, dare me, I'm actually complimenting which isn't such a big deal but listening to actual, genuine, live and non-screaming, non-sound-effect radio when its good and cool excites me to a degree no one can even fathom, especially me but such is life.

I got more from the guys early in the 4 PM hour and wish KNBR archived their non-interviews' segments because early 4 o'clock was a hoot, even better, because it came out of nowhere.

Tom Tolbert, who loves his beer, gambling, and sports told the Bay Area audience that he had some damn good soup today; Tolbert is watching his sodium because he had a real, freakish health scare not that long ago-- something you never expect to happen, even when you're an ex-jock, a basketball jock at that, anyway, he had some good soup and talked about it.

Then both co-hosters, Krueger and Brooks chimed in with their own soup stories. Krueger inexplicably said he wasn't fond of soup, and more specifically, "creamy soup." What? It began to get both weird, funny, and very funny--all being discovered, devoured, on local radio, KNBR no less.

Krueger was dissing soup, the creamy variety which is sort of unconstitutional in my book, but when he said he hated New England clam chowder, Tolbert said, in essence, "what the hell?" Brooks began to laugh and then, all hell broke out--a clear-out laugh, LOL extravaganza. Why?

Because it was FUNNY. You have three grown men on a sports-talk radio show talking soup and out of nowhere, laughter ensues and it's all very clearly funny, original, and entertaining, I'll say it again, someone at KNBR should archive this because its content that's quality and totally real, dude!

Amazing what happens when realness trumps artificial noise.  And though I love clam chowder and could probably pick a bone with Krueger, I'll give him a pass because today's rant was worth chuckling and I think I'll have soup for dinner.

Image result for No soup for you!

6 comments:

  1. You could have saved us all a couple of minutes by saying "I had KNBR on for a few minutes and I found nothing to bitch about"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm worried about that black fella. Do I need to hide my wallet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rich, first, it's cool to see you complimenting a show... good to hear both the good and bad sides of things.

    Can you find out why KNBR doesn't podcast their entire shows as some stations do? They used to do that for at least the morning show and then stopped. As you've pointed out, it's not just the interviews that can be interesting, and for me, many times it's the non-interview segments I like best. I'd be listening to KNBR a lot more via podcast if they would publish full shows instead of just the interview segments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard the George Karl interview. It was good because Tom mostly handled it. It's when Rambling Rod gets involved that I have to switch to The Game. Why say something concise in 50 words when you can stutter, babble and repeat yourself for 300?

    ReplyDelete