Saturday, February 18, 2023

Herb Caen, SF Social/Journalism Royalty; When The Chronicle Was King; Caen Influence Big Time; The Magical Column; Three-Dot Love Through Triumph And Tragedy

HERB CAEN, true SF Giant.

A Bay Area treasure.

I grew up both idolizing and admiring Herb Caen.

Early on, when I was a kid in the 70s I couldn't figure out his popularity. I read the Chronicle. I heard the endless line, "did you read Herb Caen?" --an almost everyday occurence. My family, your famly too, probably, gazed the Chronicle to read Herb Caen. What was all the fuss about, I used to think.

Well, for starters, the man could write. And he could write a lot of words almost every day. Yeah, he had lots of helpers, but still, that column was one long read and absolutely fantastic for the most part.

Even so, I had a complex feeling about Mr. Caen. Why was "the kid from Sacamenna" making fun, snide remarks about Oakland all the time? I thought, here's a guy from Sacramento, hardly a cosmopolitan town making derisive comments about my hometown city. I thought it was odd at best. But oh well, as Herb would have said, "What the hell", (and he did).

As I grew up and lived my formulative years in the 70's, a special time in the Bay Area, I then began to appreciate Herb Caen.

He was unique. He could write anything from nostalgia to joy, to wonderment and excitement to tragedy, sadness, and mayhem. We had a lot of that in the 70's in SF--the Moscone/Milk murders; Jonestown; Patty Hearst and the SLA; the Zebra murders; talk about drama. It was non-stop in the Bay Area.

Caen, thank god, could navigate the madness. His writing neutralized the insanity of it all. He'd set the proper tone and be able to create a certain calm within a populace that badly needed a respite from all this chronic bad news emanating right in our own backyard. The Moscone/Milk tragedy was awful enough made even worse coming off Jim Jones and Guyana only a few weeks earlier..

Caen wondered aloud, "if there was a god, why did he allow all this?" --and how could SF recover? It did, and thank goodness for Herb Caen.

Caen was Mr. San Francisco. The social magnet. The column that everyone dreamed of making.

"Hey, I made 'Herb Caen!"--and if you did, it was BIG NEWS! An instant gratification note and boy, talk about EGO building. For the record, I made Caen's column seven times. I'd call his office and it was either Herb picking up the phone himself, or his cool assistant, Carole Vernier, taking down my item and offering a laugh, sometimes forced. I was a mixed bag, (wink).

Caen was prolific and a master wordsmith. Every Friday he'd write about his lunches at John's Grill, say, with Willie Brown, da mayor! Tadich Grill was a regular spot, so too Perry's and Sam's. In fact, a few restaurant--bars especially, worked hard, paid good money to publicists to get in Caen's column, it was that important and damn good for business.

Years ago, I spotted Caen at The North Beach restaurant schmoozing in the back with 49ers' owner Eddie Debartolo and Carmen Policy. Soon, Willie Brown and Ronn Owens showed up. The red wine was flowing and Herb's "vitamin V" (vodka) was hovering in the background. Pass the french bread and get the oysters. When Lorenzo Petroni (the owner) showed up at the table, I was waiting for the Godfather music to commence.

Maestro, cue it up.

30 comments:

  1. A nice, trip down memory lane when the Comicle was always worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Herb Caen was resurrected today, he would be treated like Thomas Wolfe's character George Webber of "You Can't Go Home Again". Same with the likes of Hunter S. Thompson. This country has turned soft, hypersensitive and predictably boring. Welcome to Aldous Huxley's 'Brave New World". Careful where you step.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I mention Chico as the Velveeta capital of the world, nobody knows what I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He was a little too sensitive about calling it Frisco. I grew up on the East Coast and it we always referred to it as Frisco. Mets are playing Frisco today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calling it "Frisco" is a dead giveaway that you don't get it.

      Delete
    2. San Francisco is a sophisticated, world-class, proud, special city (sorry old timers, and I'm now one of them, but this is still true). It's fine if you want to call it 'Frisco', but just note this will identify you as a tourist/outsider...you know, someone who enjoys Pier 39. For the rest of us natives (or former natives)...we'll continue to call San Francisco 'The City', drive through the Presidio (pronounced Preseedio), drive on Arguello (not pronounced Argwayyo) and acknowledge people riding 'Street cars' (not Muni Metro).

      Delete
    3. 11:24 - False. Not true anymore at all.

      Delete
  5. In that era whenever I got overly stressed working my high tech Silicon Valley job, I'd make a point to lunch by myself, & read Caen's column. Somehow it seemed to help. I expect there were quite a few pop-culture newspaper columnists in many other newspapers around the world who got their start by reading Herb Caen, and owe much their career success to their ability to channel his column. I don't think such a newspaper column is possible anymore. That sort of column requires a large, daily, & printed newspaper readership.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to read the Chronicle while eating lunch every day. Herb Caen was the first thing I always read. You should do one on Bill Fiset at the Oakland Tribune. He was a hoot, I started reading him in 6th grade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiset is a name I hadn't seen in ages! I feel old!

      Delete
  7. I grew up in the East Bay in Albany, California. I always thought that herb cane made too big of a deal out of calling it at Frisco. All the Mariners that would sail into SF day, called it Frisco from the gold rush days
    All the major metropolitan cities, have a nickname, specially a guy from Sactown would insist on referring to it as San Francisco… Everyone is so careful and trying to be politically correct. Even major league, sports players call it, San Fran… Kind of silly. I’m 75 years old, I have all kinds of nicknames from my first name to my last name… People need to get over themselves… With all the conditions going on in Frisco it’s not the city it used to be… I hope the mayor and the city / county dupes can return it to a spectacular glory days … Seems awful impossible today with all the corporate influencers, and they divide the fight between the haves and the have Nots. Thanks again for your blog Rich, I always enjoy and nostalgia, columns, Spiceman, 707.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I called it Frisco in front of my SF native Irish great aunt one time, I about got a USMC Drill SGT dressing down. LOL.

      Delete
    2. 2:39...It's not Frisco unless you are a hick or a tourist. It wasn't Herb "Cane", either.

      Delete
  8. Missed my one chance to see Herb Caen. Took my wife to a birthday lunch at Le Central on Kentucky Derby day. A dapper, diminutive black man came in, and took a seat at the bar. We finished our meal before anyone joined Willie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dad read Herb every day for years, so I did too. Until his last column. He was part of my morning for a long time. I was once part of his "Apostrophe Posse!" The thing where if you saw one where it didn't belong, you sent it in. I was stuck in a bus station in the desert about 1994 and took a photo of a sign reading "Welcome to Palm Spring's." I still have the column. If you wrote Herb Caen a letter about something , anything, it was a good bet he'd respond with a bon mot on a memo-size paper with the Chron logo. He was in a real way the conscience of The City. He loved it while describing all the things wrong with it. He was accused of being too nostalgic and saying the old days were best, but who is to say for sure that they weren't? He is irreplaceable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was bad then what would caen Say about SF today? He's probably Turning in his grave

      Delete
  10. Remember when the Hearst Examiner hired Rob Morse from the Peninsula Daily Blatt to fill their Herb Caen spot? He was OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob Morse was OK. He just disappeared.

      Delete
  11. Oh, Christ, Rich, Herb was a glib three-dot mediocrity. Stop making him Aristotle, Thomas Aquinas and Albert Schweitzer all in one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Thought he was smug and a bit of an ass.

      Delete
    2. All of this is true and we loved every column inch of it. I was Oakland-born, Mountain View-raised and we know that "Frisco" is a community in Texas, Cali is in Columbia and "The City" is on the best sports uniform of all time!

      Delete
  12. Good evening Rich. Do you ever watch Mornings on 2 on the weekends? This morning, every 30 minutes they repeated the same 3-4 (meaningless, no-effort) stories along with an unnecessary number of weather reports.
    To refer to it as news is generous by any definition.
    Herb Caen knew what stories to tell, how to tell them, how to connect with his audience, and always provided some interesting insight we wouldn’t have otherwise had.
    KTVU Mornings on 2 checks none of those boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My roommate back in the late ‘80’s used to be head chef at Ernie’s. He hated when Herb Caen waltzed through the door with his cronies. Herbs crew ran up large bills and they would be complimentary meals. Not good o the bottom line.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a lovely, well written article on your part!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We could use a man like Herbert Hoover again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I once wrote Mr Caen a letter of belly-aching in his style. A few days later he wrote a column that mimicked my mimicking him, but his was 32,000 times better. I loved his jovial response. Between him and Art Hoppe, you had a good chuckle to start the day. Long Live the Ratt of Phynkia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rich could be the next Herb Caen...or at least, the Caen of the broadcast industry...if he wasn't always going negative. Caen had a way disagreeing and making his point w/o going for the jugular....or trying to stir emotions.

    ReplyDelete