Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Narsai David Meat and Potatoes on KCBS

Narsai David was pontificating the other day about artichokes. It got very dense and important even though it was hardly profound. Although for me, David's spiel could have involved various types of lettuce and I would have stopped and give a listen.

I've been a Narsai fan for years. His food bites (no pun) on KCBS are funny and interesting and I mean funny in a good way, like I say to myself, "why am I so interested in listening to a guy talk about food, even a simple obscure few minutes detailing artichokes?"

Easy answer.

David has a unique style. It's an acquired taste, so to speak. Like artichokes. Only Narsai, with his familiar, folksy, verbal flair, makes it a blast. It's one of the best features that KCBS has carried for years. If you haven't heard of Narsai, he's one of those chefs that talks and schmoozes, the culinary gem and noted East Bay foodie guy. He's an author too, had a famous restaurant in Kensington and he still speaks around the Bay Area.

His recipe segments on KCBS have always interested me. It's not anything pithy or earth-shattering but it has a pulse and it's compelling and in today's nutty world, you can use a change of scenery.

The thing about Narsai's schmoozes is that the beauty of his reperoire is the simplicity of it all. For some reason, whether it's his distinctive voice or his embellishment, (say, about artichokes) you stop and listen. Maybe because he seems so darn sincere and genuine. There's no rhyme or reason.

Pass the pepper.

One day, I heard him talk about how you can do wonders with simple spaghetti and meatballs. It was years ago. I was immediately hooked and have been a believer ever since.

Pour the wine.

14 comments:

  1. Just down the road apiece from San Francisco is Castroville and other Monterey county agricultural areas. We are the major producer of artichokes in the world. How they are grown, marketed and enjoyed is of interest to many, particularly the foodies who listen to Narsai David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn Monroe was named California’s first honorary Artichoke Queen in 1948. The official Artichoke Festival is still held annually in Castroville.

      Delete
  2. That was a nice writeup, sincere and lacking your usual blase ennui of snark and misused (and misspelled) words.

    See, it really isn't all that hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you, as usual, are full of GASia.

      Delete
    2. I'd rather be full of gas than full of shit. You obviously made the opposite choice.

      Delete
  3. He's solid, unlike most of the boobs who work at KCBS. I happened to listen this past Sunday morning and the audio levels were perfect and transitions into commercials, the network and news reports was smooth. That's because Lisa Chan wasn't on the air. Hope she doesn't drive a car because based on what she does on the air, she's not mechanically inclined.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rich, I took my mom to see him speak / give a cooking demonstration at Valley Fair Shopping Mall in SJ years ago. Helluva nice guy. Signed autographs (yes, there were people who wanted his autograph), talked to people, was pleasant...generally an affable person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always Interesting...Thumbs Up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rich,
    I had the pleasure of eating at his Kensington restaurant around 1980 when I lived in the area. Please let me know what time his segment is on so I can listen via Audacy.
    Hope all is well in SF. I miss SF. NYC is ok but I miss SF.
    Continue the great service of your blog.
    Walter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know specific times, Walee, they vary, check the KCBS website is my best advice.

      Delete
  7. Such a happy face. Who doesn't like Narsai?

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are some guys you wanna have some beers with..maybe with some pizza...or nachos...or maybe even just peanuts-in-the-shell...and talk sports and chicks.
    And then there's Narsai: Someone I'd love to sit down with a bottle of wine...some fresh sourdough bread...room-temperature butter...or EVOO...and just talk food or wine. I've been a fan of him since the early 80's.

    ReplyDelete