Friday, March 18, 2022

Ms. Belva Davis: Bay Area Giant

THIS IS WAY TOO LATE...but better late than never.

I want to say a few words about pioneering Bay Area TV News journalist, Belva Davis. She is special.

I followed Ms. Davis's career in the mid 1970's when I was a teenager, on stations such as KRON and KPIX. I always found her work, particularly her interviews to be both incredibly insightful, passionate, and informative to the max. When Belva came on the screen, it was/is appointment TV. Her tenacity is simply amazing and she is always on point and thorough.

That's what I admire about Belva more than anything else but there's quite a bevy to choose from.

Her background, growing up in Oakland (born in Louisiana) and covering everything from the Civil rights movement to Bay Area politics and culture is daunting.

Worthy of a movie.

Another thing about Ms. Belva Davis--and I mean this from the bottom of my heart:

I met her several years ago at a news function at the SF Press Club. It was getting late in the day and I went over to say bye. Ms. Davis could have given me a benign goodbye but thanked me for attending. I told her, "no, thank you, Ms. Davis." It was completely sincere and genuine.

What a kind, classy, brilliant woman with such great charisma and an endearing personality to boot.

Ms. Belva Davis is still going strong today at 89 and very much alive. I will always cherish my meetinmg with Ms. Davis and look forward to seeing her again soon.

She is one classy woman, yeah, worth repeating.

Ms. Belva Davis is a Bay Area GIANT and will always be.

12 comments:

  1. I had the pleasure of appearing on her KQED program Friday night in the late 1990s. A legend in every sense of the word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Davis at a friend's backyard BBQ about 15 years ago. She was so very nice and not at all full of herself.... just a very genuine person and soft spoken.
    This was a group of average ordinary everyday people and Ms. Davis was as comfortable as anyone at the party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree, Belva Davis is a class act and a damn good reporter...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her book - "Never in My Wildest Dream: A Black Woman's Life in Journalism" - is an absolute must-read. Readers will gain a clear sense of the adversity she overcame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reporters back in the 80s and 90s were the best of the best. Dennis Richmond, Dave Mac, Faith all good reporters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. People always speak so negatively about you Rich, yet you write these beautiful well thought out tributes to People and nobody notices. This was an enjoyable read and I vaguely remember this woman on the news as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved her in the movie Jackie Brown.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up watching Belva Davis and Ben Williams in the daytime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's gonna be a movie about Belva. Send 'em a few bucks. https://www.documentary.org/project/belva-davis-reporting

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had the pleasure of working with Belva. Her KQED (1978) show Evening Edition got me hooked into pursuing photojournalism

    ReplyDelete