Monday, July 13, 2020

The Great Sports Writer, Lowell Cohn, Comes Out of Retirement to Write a Column for 415 Media

Podcast: Lowell Cohn on his retirement and 37 year career – East ...

 My friend Rich Lieberman asked if I’d come out of retirement for one day and write a column for his blog,  415 Media. So here I am writing a column after three-and-a-half years of being columnless.

And here’s the
deal.

What follows is a list of topics I would write columns about if I were still writing columns...



BUSTER POSEY is a great example for ballplayers and people in general. Why? Because he refuses to play baseball during the pandemic. It is insane to play ball with that virus in our midst. Of course, Posey could afford not to play because he’s very very rich. But so are lots of other major leaguers. They all should pick up their gloves and bats and go home.

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL should cancel plans for the upcoming season. I mean, come on. Show some smarts. Have a heart. Same for the NBA and their abbreviated playoffs.

WHICH LEADS ME to a statement from the heart. I miss sports. I really do. I miss baseball more than basketball – a personal preference. At this time of year, baseball is the background story to my life, listening to Ken Korach on the radio, his wonderful voice in my head. But – and here’s the key – I don’t need sports. Let me write that again. I miss sports but I don’t need them.

 Here’s how I fill my time. I read. I write. I look out the window. I watch British mysteries on TV. I talk to my wife. I drink good wine. I’d prefer there to be sports, but my life isn’t in the dumper because the Giants aren’t playing. How about you?

THE 49ERS STRIKE me as cheap. That statement right there probably ticked you off. The 49ers are a good team after being a bad team and ownership deserves a ton of credit. For sure. But the Niners have done some cheap things lately – in my humble opinion.

Let me be clear. The 49ers are generous with their coaches, pay big salaries and, clearly, have an elite coaching staff. So, the team is not a cheapo bunch in that regard. But look at their player contracts.

They got rid of their best player, DeForest Buckner, because he asked for, in their opinion, too much money. They have not improved the contract of George Kittle even though he’s currently their best player and deserves a big raise. He is one of the best players in the NFL. And they are snubbing their best running back, Raheem Mostert, who’s requested a modest raise. He is being paid as a special teams player even though he’s among the best running backs in the league.

This is troubling stuff. And I’ll tell you why. Word gets around the locker room that the team isn’t treating its stars right. It hurts morale. Word gets around the league that the Niners are cheap. Players hear the word, so do agents. It’s never good to have a bad reputation.

I always have doubted the accumulated wisdom of the York family. This behavior toward star players doesn’t exactly make my doubts vanish. If there’s one bunch who can louse up a good thing it’s the Yorks.

I HOLD TWO degrees from Stanford. I taught Freshman English at Stanford as a grad student ages ago. I love Stanford. But I don’t love what Stanford did last week. It announced its intention to discontinue many so-called minor sports – like men’s and women’s fencing. Why? So it could support football and basketball, etc.

Bad move. The university is for students, not for the football team. Let the university delete certain assistant coaching positions on David Shaw’s football staff which resembles an NFL staff in sheer numbers of coaches. Let the university eliminate some positions of assistant athletic directors. Let the school be a school instead of a minor league for the NFL and NBA.

Read Gary Cavalli on this travesty: https://www.insidetrackgarycavalliblog.com/single-post/2020/07/09/The-Unkindest-Cut

FINALLY, I MUST write about the NFL and the Jews. I am a Jew. The Nazis killed six million of us not so long ago. Instances of anti-Semitism are rising in America. Yes, in America. It makes me sad and scared. As you know, the Eagles DeSean Jackson posted anti-Semitic stuff on the internet a few days ago. Horrible stuff.

God love DeSean Jackson, he apologized. I accept his apology. I always try to accept an apology. He has accepted an invitation to visit Auschwitz, the Nazi death camp. He wants to educate himself.

But what about the NFL and the issue of anti-Semitism. A lukewarm response. To the best of my knowledge commissioner Roger Goodell hasn’t said a word. The league issued a statement but Goodell said nothing. If I’m wrong please correct me.

Thing is Goodell went out of his way to apologize to black players for his past actions. He should have. I applaud that. He also should apologize to Jewish players and Jews in general. Why hasn’t he done that? Don’t we count?

One more thing. Kevin Durant – yes, that Kevin Durant – “liked” an anti-Semitic pic on the internet posted by DeSean Jackson. While Jackson has apologized, Durant has said nothing unless I missed his apology. Shame on you, Kevin Durant. Glad you’re out of here.

* Lowell Cohn has a book out --getting great reviews --415 Media thanks Cohn and his column for a day.

31 comments:

  1. How wonderful to read Lowell Cohn again! I think you have hit on a great idea Rich...inviting people to write short columns for 415 Media...I do miss baseball more than I thought until I started watching the past games that are being shown now...great to read Lowell again!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although it's great reading Lowell again, I disagree with him on his stance on baseball. Posey is not a doctor or nurse. He cannot do anything for these infants right now,
      aside from writing checks. The Poseys are multi-millionaires and can afford round-the-clock child and healthcare. Anyone who has had children knows that this is the time of life where babies eat and poop and that's about it. They won't even miss him for the nine weeks of the baseball season and the Giants need his leadership.
      Quarantine yourself away from your family for 9 weeks, Buster. You have @ two years left in your baseball career and then you can be a dad for the next 50 years. Your place for this short period of time is with your team.

      Delete
  2. I love Cohn and great to read him again but the 49er take isn't on point. The Niners have big upcoming salary cap issues. They have been cheap in a lot of ways but salaries is not one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you get Johnny Carson next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only if he could be pulled from his Malibu grave. Which would top even Carnac The Magnificent.

      Delete
  4. Agree with everything (and I mean everything) Lowell wrote. Miss reading his columns. Thanks Rich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a coward and apologist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree with Lowell but he is a little too idealistic about Stanford keeping some of those sports programs. Colleges are just as much into money as professional teams. I'd like those programs to remain as well but I'm not surprised Stanford is eliminating them, unfortunately

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miss you Lowell...What British mysteries have you enjoyed, that'smy go to also!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rich, great win getting Lowell to write in your blog. Also, you being so active today must mean the bucks (I'm guessing $ 10K plus) came rolling in over the weekend, Congrats on both accounts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love sports but the financial issues have ruined them for me. But I must say that as much as I have appreciated sports, I appreciate good sportswriters more! Lowell Cohn, Glen Dickey, Art Spander and the entire staff of the Sporting Green today. As well as myriad regional and national writers. Thank you to all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lowell, good to read you again and thanks for being a stand-up guy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Lowell,
    What a nice treat, your my all time favorite columnist and miss your columns. I don't really miss sport either, I read my books, love John Grisham. Did you read Bleachers? Quick read only about 200 pages, it was wonderful. I have watched so many movies, I don't know 1/2 of their names. Glad life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rich, I don't much care for most sports and almost never read sports writers, but you but a home run here. Would really appreciate seeing Lowell again as a fill in for you when you need a break.
    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice reading Lowell again! Hope he does more guest columns here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. T'was good to read about you today, Mr. Cohn. I'm not too into sports, but you seem like an interesting person. A lot of people in this little Club seem to think highly of you. So you see? For the most part, you didn't get the Substitute Teacher Treatment. You can tell Rich we behaved well today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mr. Cohn: Retired from a long and distinguished career, but still very much on his game.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Raheem Mostart is on his 7th or 8th team. He's gonna make aa couple million next year. I wish I could fail upwards that well. Just because he had one good year means nothing. Defensive coordinators will figure him out just like they do every next great thing. So many examples of the next great one flaming out quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. More Lowell Cohn please...He's delish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lowell, man did you nail all of those nails directly on their respected heads. And in contrast, the Oakland (Las Vegas) Raiders late owner Al Davis used to do the exact opposite of what the current 49er owners currently do- Al would pay his players handsomely but didn't believe in paying his coaching staff much. Thanks for your contribution, Lowell, and thanks Rich, for asking Lowell to contribute an article to this site.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay, Lowell. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on COVID. I think the country is still in denial about the pandemic. It will move on its own schedule and not on ours. Hope you are enjoying your retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a nice treat for your readers Rich. Thanks for reaching out to Lowell. He still has it!!! I just wish Herb Caen was still around, I miss reading his columns with breakfast. I think we would ALL enjoy reading what he had to say on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Rich, for inviting Lowell to write a column on your blog. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Lowell was one my late father's favorite newspaper sports writers. The link to Gary Cavalli's blog was also a very interesting read. What Stanford has done to their athletic department is a sad state of affairs. I hope you'll invite Lowell back for another column every now and then. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. After Goodell apologized post-George Floyd, I'm thinking that Jones and the other owners demanded silence. It is sadly true that there is too much preference for the almighty dollar over basic human well-being in every league. Can't even get up for baseball, due to the increasing number of pandemic-stricken players on the top teams.
    And yes, I am very disappointed if KD added a Like to Desean Jackson's inaccurate post. Even with KD's lifelong high sensitivity level dating to his high school days before Texas & OKC, let alone the Warriors or Brooklyn, which I try to respect, the perennial on-court All-Star should be condemned for his off-court reactions.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, the anti semitism crap must stop!! Durant is a disgrace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Durant's a screwball. I don't expect anything intelligent from him.

      Delete
  24. It was depressing reading Cohn's column because it so clearly demonstrates how bad journalism has become since professionals like him retired and were replaced by hip and woke 20-something sports bloggers who spend most of their time commenting on tweets.

    ReplyDelete
  25. According to an article by NFL.com, the biggest logistical problems facing the sport of American Football being included in the Olympics are very similar to that of Rugby. sports gear reviews

    ReplyDelete