Monday, November 4, 2019

Monday Buzz: Few Talented Women Anchor/Reporters in Bay Area TV News; Sussman/KSFO Mystery MIA; Dion Lim at KGO Needs Tweaking (Her Own); Connie Chung Gives Me a Wink; Pia Zadora Loves TV News Here, Sort of; Quick Hits


Image result for morning media


WOMEN ARE SMARTER THAN MEN, so goes the saying ...and I'm sure that is true here in these parts but not the case with the women anchors and reporters. Is there a Rita Williams in the house anymore? Nope. Where's Betty Ann Bruno? Not present. I'm dumbfounded that, outside of a few notables (Juliette Goodrich, Melanie Woodrow, Lyanne Melendez, to name a few), the Bay Area women anchors/reporter membership is devoid of talent. As a progressive feminist that I am, this is very profound and sad.

*Here's something KGO can do and should do: work newsman, Bret Burkhart on a Saturday from, say, 9-6 --specifically, to handle breaking news stories and to take calls if necessary. As more news happens on weekends, KGO has ZERO staff personnel; it would allow KGO to have someone in the building to broadcast live, especially if there's a major incident, natural disaster, terrorist attack, etc. Burkhart could have a Friday off so it wouldn't cost KGO and Cumulus a penny plus it would provide its listener base a human body inside to report. Burkhart, as I noted, did a great job on Sunday last week anchoring during the disastrous Kincade fire; frankly, it was spot-on coverage --a delight and good, old-fashioned KGO in its best form. Sure, Lee Hammer, tinker with this, tweak it, whatever, but it's a Go do it.

Image result for dion lim
Dion Lim
*KSFO mystery: where's Brian Sussman? Not that I've noticed but I occasionally turn the dial down to 560 AM to hear the latest Trump cheerleading and right-wing conspiracy theories and for the past several weeks, Sussman has been off the air. I've tried to find out the reason why: no one and I do mean no one is talking. I don't think it involves illness because Sussman has been tweeting away on Twitter. There's a hunch I have: money. Sussman could have seen his latest Cumulus love check and thought, "maybe I'll take a break". Or an extended vacation. Or both.
UPDATE: Sussman is indeed on a medical leave.

*There are several factors to anchor appreciation. You have to be comfortable with them. Dare I say, trust them. Believe in them. Feel as if they're almost a part of family. I'm generalizing of course, but you know my thinking, even in this world of declining numbers for local TV news, the fact exists, comfortability and trust is a major factor. That said, I don't feel comfortable watching KGO's Dion Lim. I cannot stand her voice and inflections. It is more than robotic and irksome, it is tedious and unbecoming. Lim can adjust her delivery and try to sound more convincing and not the visual Barbie she comes off as; seriously, I can't believe Dion talks that way in public. So why can't she adapt? She certainly has the chops and mental fortitude to become complete and fresh and sincere. That's not the situation now. It's a large smorgasbords of a meal but no one's at the restaurant.

Image result for Connie Chung
The lovely Connie Chung (right) and hubby, Maury Povich
*A few years back, I met Connie Chung; she was on a media tour for a charity and I was happy to hang out with her at the Van Ness Holiday Inn. I put on my best black and white suit and met her at the bar where she was munching on some cheese fishing while sipping some house cabernet. When I arrived, she quickly hopped up and noticed my appearance and acted as if a dignitary entered the room. We spoke mainly industry chatter and she told me how much she loved the Bay Area. "Maury (former KGOer and talk host, Maury Povich, her husband) always loved his time here and we had our first date here. It's a gorgeous city." I told Connie that I lived across the bay in Oakland and she rightly stated, "oh, isn't that the Brooklyn of the Bay Area?" Smart lady. Her press rep showed up and invited me to a private party at the Fairmont. I politely declined. I have to mention that Ms. Chung gave me a certifiable wink as I got up and retreated for the exit. She looked decidedly golden in a sheer black suit and white pumps. I gotta tell you: Chung and I would be the complete power couple but I don't mess around with the married ladies. Lord knows I've had plenty of chances.

*Pia Zadora was in town recently and said she's a secret lover of Bay Area TV media. Seriously? "When I visit here I don't go out much other than to perform so I stay in the hotel and watch the news." "But not CNN?," I asked her. "No, I love KTVU and KRON." I asked her who stands out. She couldn't name anyone. "I'm bad with that." Uh, sure, OK Madame. Got it.

Image result for Pia Zadora
The lovely Pia Zadora
QUICK HITS...

*Continuing to be a late-night fumble: KNBR sports talk host, Mark Willard.

*Mired in mediocrity: 95.7 FM "The Game" --just a pile of weeds.

*KPIX: nobody's watching. Heads should roll. CBS is finally paying attention. Sort of.

*Heather Holmes continues to dress like a San Ramon cheerleader on her way to a nightclub which means she really wants out of KTVU.

*Jeopardy answer: Free cruises and rooms at the Handlerly: Jeopardy question: What is the purpose of the "Ronn Owens Report?"

*Sales guy at local IHeart media confab: "We're barely making money these days." Sign of the times.

*Does anyone admit to listening to Rush Limbaugh anymore? What a predictable bore.

28 comments:

  1. I posted in previous post too but here goes again.

    I trust Dion because of who she is as a person. A genuine soul who cares about others. I understand that you disagree with how she speaks but I will keep watching her until the day I die.

    This is a women I can believe in

    https://www.instagram.com/p/B3dn6bOJoCU/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given your criteria I guess you'd also like Helen Keller as an anchor.

      Delete
    2. > This is a women I can believe in

      Um, you do know they just read words other people write for them, and often these days with budgets the way they are they actually just do "rip and read" right off of press releases and subscription news wires. Dion will go off the air at the end of an hour or half hour, and the next anchor who comes on just picks up the same copy and reads it too.

      Delete
    3. 7:14 you literally just described EVERY Obama speech that the Democrats would go so gaga over. "Ohhhh listen to him! He speaks so well! His words are soo inspiring! Lets light a joint!"

      Ridiculous.

      Delete
  2. > As a progressive feminist that I am...

    Oh, thanks for the laugh of the day/week/decade!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "to hear the latest Trump cheerleading and right-wing conspiracy theories and for the past several weeks"

    Do you prefer to leave your dial on 810 to hear the latest Obama/Hilary cheerleading and left wing lunatics in need of medication yelling TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP every segment?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connie Chung stories lol. The only thing missing was the "30 years ago I rode in a limo with Larry King because of my friendship with Ronn Owens" segment "but I hate Ronn now".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather is hot. Who cares what she wears?

    ReplyDelete
  6. H.H. is hot.Get rid of Tijuana Tammy Folsom. That broad is a legend in her own mind. Disgusting old hag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pia looks Zadorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 95.7 The Game had a fun premise today: mix up the radio hosts throughout the day. The problem was the 2-6PM show. Someone didn't tell Ratto to play along. He was awful and brought the show to a halt with his unwillingness to participate. Just awful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alas, Tara Moriarty left KTVU for private PR gig. She was a super reporter. I loved her reports, hardcore stats aways.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 3:58 Your comment is disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maury Povich is a bottom feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agreed on Heather. I wouldn't kick her out of bed for farting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. With the new KGO morning lineup I can only surmise they are now pandering to the lowest common denominator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I think that every time I hear Chip and his sidekick, East San Jose's own Rosie Perez.

      Delete
  14. I hope someone at Circle 7 sits down with the hood rats and teaches them how to pronounce big words. Hood Rat+Hood Rat=Ebonics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How dare you talk of Nikki Medoro like that! Someone censor this comment!

      Delete
  15. The Ronn Owens 5 minute report is a hell of a lot more interesting than Thompsons BS session with Butkhardt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or the entire Chip and "Nikki" show.

      Delete
  16. No I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh, never cared for him, he is so predictable, he will excuse any policy or behavior by a Republican, as will Hannity. I remember Hannity had a fit because Obama did not wear a flag pin, but he and Rush thinks it is totally okay for Trump to get on the phone with a foreign leader and ask them to investigate someone running against him. Hypocrisy at the highest order. Who can take them seriously? For years we heard about how the deficit was getting out of hand and would ruin the country (not that I disagree with that), but now that Trump is President Rush said recently "No one cares about the deficit any longer", really!!
    Although I'm mostly liberal I often listen to more conservative hosts, I like Tom Sullivan, and Michael Medved when he was on in that area, I turn into Michael Savage once in awhile, and if he is not ranting and raving about immigrants and liberal, I can listen to him, he is capable of being critical of Trump, and he is no fan of Hannity and Rush, calls them boring and predictable, I tend to agree.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Van Ness Holiday Inn...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Agree with 1:14 pm....Heather is hot, but CBS Evening News made the right move with the most beautiful woman in America as their anchor. (NO of course. )

    ReplyDelete
  19. If only Dion had "Blond" hair. Then know one would question anything about her.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think Dion's diction has "softened" since her arrival. Whereas a year ago, I found her to be an almost painful listen, and now I enjoy her anchoring. Might be some "aural acclimation" on my part, but I don't tune away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never understood what all the fuss was about. Some people have natural loud voices. I really enjoy Ms. Lim on the tv

      Delete
  21. I listen to Rush daily....predicable bore? Well, since this is coming from someone who loves watching The View with his relatives from Rio Linda....go figure.

    ReplyDelete