Friday, June 8, 2018

Late Friday Shuffle; KRON Has Pretty Good Election Night; Anthony Bourdain Reflection; John Rothmann Magic (Again) on KGO Radio Friday

Related image KRON, of all outlets, had a very good Election Night. Numbers were at times off the chart and they even beat some heavyweights like KPIX and KNTV. Which means hard work and good newscasts is occasionally rewarded even to the vagabond station.

*YES, I'm Back; I was unaware that a two-day sabbatical that got a little heavy would warrant such notice but you wanted it you got it.

Related image
Anthony Bourdain
*Anthony Bourdain: yeah, all that fame and money and sex and rock and roll, yet.

That picture of Mr. Bourdain (on the right) illustrates a moment for me: Chinese Food café solace.

Often times when I'm troubled I will try to go to Chinatown and immerse myself in a back seat with some good food and a beer and able to escape momentary dread and anguish; for me it helps.

Obviously, not so much for Mr. Bourdain.

I can't say much other than I enjoyed watching him on his CNN show and his various destinations and off-beat food visits. At least he had a very good life but 61 seems way too soon only proving demons have no time frame and don't discriminate even the most privileged, rich and famous.

Image result for john rothmann kgo radio
John Rothmann
*John Rothmann was on KGO Radio this (Friday) morning filling in and once again conducting an entertaining, informative, civil, discourse all in the guise of news talk virtuoso --I may sound like a broken record here and if so, sue me while I consume leftover chowmein; Rothmann was a delight to listen to and experience.

The three hours moved crisp and fast with a steady diet of interesting takes on the latest crazy Trump foibles (of which too numerous to tout); provocative callers; intelligent back and forth with news anchor, Brett Burkhart; it was so good one had to wonder why we couldn't have it three to five times a week; maybe the latest market manager will make his first move and put Rothmann on the permanent sheet which given the current political climate only seems logical if that counts anymore.

Dear Doug Harvill: There's a market out there in the world of intelligent, NEWS-talk radio with people that actually want to participate, listen, are loyal and will support the advertisers and be active on the social media end; maybe it's just me but I prefer Rothmann's political spaghetti and meatballs as opposed to the other guy's silly and mundane pancake recipes but that's just me.

*NOTE TO ALL:

If you like reading about Bay Area Media; TV/Radio News and commentary on a daily (mostly) basis then please make a contribution; any amount helps and with your help maintain this site as your go-to destination when you want to read about the business.

Thanks, as always.


23 comments:

  1. 2 well written articles today Rich devoid of nastiness.. seems a few days off did you good. Good job Rich keep it up, you're a hell of a writer when you want to be

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take a break when you need one. You always come back in great form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Rothmann was excellent as always. Nice to hear Pat Thurston too on Thursday. But why did put Ronn on the air with them for a few minutes both days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to catch a few minutes of John Rothmann filling in for Bearman and he was excellent. He should get the evening slot .

      Delete
  4. Deciding when to depart is an individual's right. Mr. Bourdain had hit his sixties, was at the peak of his career, had just been renewed and had no where to go other than down. Don't assume he made the wrong decision. Killing oneself is not necessarily an indicia of "mental illness". The media likes to tell us that so and so died "peacefully, surrounded by loved ones". This is not the way it actually happens. Anthony Bourdain didn't owe us anything. He chose to manage his own departure. This is not evil. Don't presume that he didn't enjoy all that food. With what show will they replace him. You know the buzz about that situation began as soon as his death was confirmed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't stating that Bourdain "was at the peak of his career," and "...had nowhere to go other than down" an assumption?

      Delete
    2. I'm sure his 11 year old daughter agrees with you.

      Delete
    3. He had a long history of substance abuse. My wife and I think his doctor ran blood work, got back something very ugly and he didn't want around for the inevitable.

      Delete
    4. I suspected that as well, Root.

      Delete
  5. Whatever happened to John Bristol?

    ReplyDelete
  6. KRON even topped, ABC7!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they say there are not enough tops in the BA.

      Delete
  7. Of course KGO won’t replay John Rothmann at 7pm. Instead they’re replaying that Ethan Bearman guy 😧!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this has nothing to do with what you wrote, but for some time now Joe Fortenbaugh has been getting more and more irritating, with Lo Neal and Dan Dbbly, but Fortenbaugh is the worst, with his smug,arrogant, condescending attitude, talking down to people, obession with gambling, and how everything is always about him.. he fits right in with Greg Papa, Damon Bruce, Michael Urban and all the other blowhards at kgmz.. had to get that off my chest

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suicide is so sad in that there's no turning back and the people left behind feel helpless. If people could just hang on until the morning, they would find out that there is always hope to live another day. Don't let anyone (including yourself) make you believe otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My best friend hung himself in our mid 20's, I found him 4 days later. No warning.

      A permanent solution to a temporary problem.

      Please be aware of your loved ones and friends issues and don't shrug them off if present.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you. In fact back when Gene Burns was on KGO I remember he did a show, or an hour, about someone feeling suicidal. I remember him saying, just wait one more day. My own experience, about 11-13 years ago I was very depressed, mostly due to my business failing, and then the economy, which meant I could not rebuild my business, and had to take a low paying retail job. I didn't know how to get through the day, but I could not end it, first of all I had a daughter, and didn't want to leave her a burden like that, and somehow I felt life had more in store for me, even though I was in my early sixties. Had I decided to end it this is what I would have missed, rebuild my finances somewhat, many good times with friends, make new friends, several trip in the spectacular California nature, and most of all seeing my daughter being happily married, and now being a grandmother to a totally adorable 2 year old granddaughter. I understand depression, and I urge everyone that is depressed, hang on, get help, look to the future, most likely there are wonderful experience in store for you, if you are open to it.

      Delete
    3. Can the platitudes..and the unintended humor.Seriously, did you mean to say "if people could just hang on"? You don't know what they would find in the "morning". For some, including Mr.Bourdain, the promise of "always hope to live another day" is insufficient motivation. We will miss his interesting shows, but he owes us and you, nothing.

      Delete
  10. Rick Barry probably KNOWS that his teams win was a true miracle! He Knows those days were a much difficult idea of the Warriors actually winning that. that team was really a Warriors Team .won during the time of super duper icons. he doesent want to lose any more hair over the adulation these Twitter athletes get. he wouldn't say it out loud ,probably.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i was pleasantly surprised to hear john on the air. im a bit upset, because he was supposed to text me the next time he was on so that i could get a tour of the station and watch him at work. i was also shocked that he said he believes that a president can pardon himself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. trump can pardon himself from prosecution on federal charges, but not from impeachment, or prosecution on state charges once he is out of office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the Republicans in power and virtually guaranteed to remain in power, what makes you think we'll ever be be seriously discussing impeachment?

      It's stupid to even discuss it. NEVER HAPPEN.

      Delete