Sunday, April 1, 2018

Easter Sunday Green Eggs and Ham; Plus News Notes and Comments; Dotty, Dotty, Dotty

Image result for SF Bay Area TV Radio GREEN EGGS & HAM

*Paul Deanno/KPIX: Ham: The new look; shaved sideburns and glasses (prescription) enhance the guy I already liked to begin with; simple, straightforward, informative weather forecasting devoid of cutesiness --what a concept.

Image result for Jodi Hernandez NBC Bay Area*Jodi Hernandez/NBC Bay Area: Ham: relaxed, gritty, street reporter who makes a splash without any drama. Vastly underrated.

*J.R. Stone/KRON: green eggs: I don't care about his head size; I care more about his reporting. You don't have to look like an anchor to be an anchor but Stone should be out in the field and not on the desk. Even by KRON standards he doesn't elicit any emotion. A Steve Aveson-lite maybe.

*Randy Hahn/Sharks Hockey Broadcaster/NBCSBA: Ham: Not just hockey; the guy is the very best broadcaster in the local market; exciting; up-tempo; tremendous wordsmith and outstanding repertoire; enough to make me excited about hockey which I know little of other than ice and lots of athletes trying to kill each other.

Image result for JR Stone KRONNEWS NOTES and COMMENTS:

Image result for randy hahn sharksKTVU: Important week in Jack London Square; the HR dept. figures to be one busy place; good and bad...Speaking of KTVU, if that rumor is still abuzz in the newsroom: no, he didn't and even if he did, I wouldn't have bit because family is more important than this stuff, so there...A guy who will be happier than Frank Somerville, come contract time: KGO's Dan Ashley, trust me...TRIPLE CHUTZPAH: the people who send comments "enough already" (about a certain family member of mine who passed: Did I put a gun to your head and force you here? Bye Bye...If Michael Finney were to ever consider network work, ABC would snatch him up in a minute. NO, Finney isn't going anywhere ...Rarity in the biz the other night on PIX: Both Ken Bastida and Allen Martin were anchoring --I'm assuming Liz Cook took the day off...Quite a scene at Grumpy's off the media gulch, I'm told. Reporter A from CBS takes Reporter B to lunch. Nothing special. Couple tuna sandwiches and cokes. Bill comes: Reporter A: "I got it." B; "No, I got it." This goes on for a few minutes only louder. Gees, two tuna sandwiches and a few cokes, what, about 15 bucks? I could only imagine if they every ate at Scoma's! ...Reminds me, sort of, of the Chinese joint across the street from Channel 5, Hunan. The bar stories are too numerous and quaint to report but there are a few good ones that involved a certain sports guy who liked to hoist a few every now and then...I've backed off (again) talking about "Donnie and Marie" in the morning on KGO-TV; I mean, how much can you say? Yeah, they're terrible. You get what you pay for...Speaking of Liz Cook at PIX, I'm often asked, "how can you stomach her?" Easy. I never said she's great. But seriously, she's not bad either; in fact, she's good and pleasant and reads well. In this market that's worthy of a bronze medal...Just when I thought the airwaves on radio were less polluted, the "1-800 No Cuffs" guy invades us with an ad every minute--but I'll give him a half a pastrami on rye with his line, "you don't need those cuffs unless you into that kind of thing" --pretty damn funny but not every minute...Image result for Elizabeth Cook KPIX

READERS:

415 MEDIA is the Bay Area's only independent media site and relies solely on donations, subscriptions, and contributions. PLEASE help keep this blog sustainable by making a contribution (any amount helps) It's fast and easy: simply go to the Pay Pal "Donate" icon on the right side of the blog and click on it. It takes but a minute and it's safe, secure and completely confidential. I will personally e-mail and/or call you thanking you for your support.


5 comments:

  1. they play all the same ads in roation all day long, the dui guy, joe cordell, owen, craig bindi and the latest and maybe the worst james whatever from honda which i heard the other day 17 times in 2 hours!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't watched KPIX 5pm news for months simply because of Liz Cook. She's not comfortable in front of the camera and it shows. I just couldn't stop squirming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth Cook is very easy on the eyes AND ears. Tried giving Night Beat another try and DeLaCruz was a cackling clown. She and the sports woman were whining about the rain and only wanting 80 degree weather. Two things: you are living in the wrong climate and we are STILL in a 5 year drought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure how much longer Liz will work. Those of us who've been out of HS and college for a number of years will tell you there's a certain portion of females who may have had serious academic and career chops at one time will simply decide they have had enough and become full time moms. It happened in my class. It happened in my wife's class. It happens all the time.

    Liz is cute and good at what she does but shows every sign of getting to that point where she'll simply bag it and let someone else do the heavy lifting. I've seen it happen too many times. There are certain things you look for and trust me, she has them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz Cook was battling either severe allergies or a cold. Illness likely forced a sick day Friday while VDLC was off all week.

    ReplyDelete