Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sussman backs down on "child abuse" comment; purge rumors heat up; KQED furloughs; Wednesday round-up

KSFO's Brian Sussman, showing unusual reason, (amazing when you assume the guy is a schmuck and he isn't) showed a bit of contrition over his statements saying those people who bring their kids to the Gay Pride parade are committing "child abuse."

I chided Sussman. He shot back an e-mail saying that if I had kids, I might think differently. Fair enough, but "child abuse" is crazy. How about, say, "inappropriate", Brian?

"Inappropriate" is not strong enough. "Child abuse" might be pushing it. How 'bout "emotional trauma?", said the Sussman. Trauma?

Suss and I disagree, we'll leave it at that, but give the guy credit for nixing the child abuse angle.

**No, the purge rumors have nothing to do with KRON; in fact, KRON's parent, Young has made it out of BK, restructured, and shed about $800 million or so of debt and looks like prime picking for a would-be media suitor. Said one observer: This paves the way for Young to sell off KRON at a lower price than before. Look for KRON to become part of a duopoly with ABC7 or KOFY20.

Don't rule out NBC, just yet.

**On the purge? Think local TV outlet in the media gulch near Broadway and Battery.

**Furlough news at KQED, the eternal "we're always broke" leader. Time to consider more pledge breaks and how about re-igniting the auction?

**Mike Krukow getting down on "The Panda". Scary, there's hope.

**The Giants media coalition: KNBR, Comcast, et al has to secretly love their current abyss. Although the beloved Bochy bunch has hit a wall, the ratings haven't tanked, (even if the team has) and while winning is great, if you're going to lose like totally, dude, the Giants forklempta makes for good copy and anguish.


**Word from Chicago through my vast media network is that Oprah's people are checking out SF for a possible week's worth of shows; I'm only interested if I can get a Caddy out of it.

**Follow me on Twitter

4 comments:

  1. What you just experienced is Sussman's MO. When he is caught out (it was usually by me) he sometimes would apologize. But then he would say the same thing later. Let me go back to my archives from July of last year.

    Sussman has stated that gay rights activists are out to "completely destroy and pervert this country". On July 10th a caller, Steve in Fairfield, asked this question:

    "Brian, can I marry the person I’m in love with?" Sussman responded,

    NO YOU CAN’T YOU JERK! Now listen to me! No you can’t jerk! Now listen to me right now. Don’t play this game with me Steve. What if you’re in love with two people? My guess is as a homosexual man you’ve been in love with a hundred how many are you in love with right now Steve? HOW MANY!?

    SIF: Here comes the name calling.

    BS: Can you marry all of them Steve? No. You. Can’t. You have to marry somebody of the opposite sex they have to be over the age of 18 you cannot marry somebody of family and you can only marry one at a time. We all have the same rules and regulations Steve, that’s where it stands. You lose the argument and you’re going to lose at life my friend with that kind of an attitude because your particular kind can’t reproduce! Get him off the line.
    808-5600 on KSFO.
    http://www.spockosbrain.com/SussmanKSFOYoucantmarryyouJerkShort7-10-20096pm.mp3
    http://www.spockosbrain.com/SussmanKSFOYoucantmarryyouJerkShort7-10-20096pm.wma

    Here is the entire call for context
    http://www.spockosbrain.com/SussmanKSFOYoucantmarryyouJerkLONG7-10-20096pm.mp3 (I include it because they like to pretend that the context changes what they say, I've included the entire audio here)

    And for those with out audio here is the transcript.
    http://www.spockosbrain.com/Sussman%20Transcript%207-10-2009%20Gays%20can%20not%20marry%20KSFO.html

    Or perhaps you would like to hear how he thinks "billions of dollars are wasted to fight AIDS".
    http://www.spockosbrain.com/SussmanWastingmoneyfightingAIDSM12022008H19M00.mp3

    Or how he and Officer Vic mock the LGBT community.
    http://www.spockosbrain.com/SussmanOfficerVicThreeonTreeMockingABTOct1208.mp3

    Sussman's management is fine with his saying terrible things and then waiting to see if he gets caught. He then says something like, "I went too far." and it's back to business as usual. I think one of the reasons that Rodgers was fired is that he didn't like having to apologize for his genocidal comments (something he never did by the way).
    Rodgers also didn't like being told to stop insulting the ABC reporters calling them liars and "Presidential butt kissers".

    I learned early on that trying to have a rational conversation with right wing radio hosts isn't possible because of the asynchronous nature of the communication. They control the box. That is why I went to the people who pay the bills, the advertisers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listening to Brian Sussman is a hatecrime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to work out in the same gym as Sussman years ago. He was a nice guy, and I always wondered how much of his radio persona is just an act.

    And I'm hardly a tea-bagger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this the same Garden Gnome that's the hydro guru? Sussman is absolutely right, boring I'm sure... never listened but right about child abuse. That parade is as disgusting as it gets.

    ReplyDelete