Friday, May 21, 2010

April trends; 'this and that Friday pulse; Bay Area media notes

**April radio ratings--415 MEDIA NOTES

KCBS is solidly #1 across the board; yes, of course it helps to have an FM presence, (106.9);I'm sure KGO would love to have an FM outlet, (in the 80's, there was KGO-FM, which once was KSFX, where Rosie Allen worked with the late, great Stephen Kapen)

Give KCBS credit; they have stuck to their 'meat and potatoes: news 24/7, with lots of traffic updates, but the "15-45", traffic/weather, and morning dominance, (Stan Bunger--Susan Leigh-Taylor, John Madden, etc) definitely is an AM staple for commuters in cars that don't listen to satellite.

As expected, KNBR picked up the pace with help from Giants baseball; KOIT was KOIT, and KGO held serve, as did KQED-FM.

People ask me about KGO and I tell them I keep hearing all sorts of things; Ronn Owens is suddenly getting a ton of rips, but he's still at the top of his game. He's still making money for the company and getting all the good guests, so don't ride him out just yet, (although Ronn, please, enough of the theme bumpers coming out of spots--its cute to a point, but it loses its edge when its become too cutesy...plus, does EVERY guest have to read the Sleeptrain spot?)...

THIS AND THAT: Quite a stir at the local Emmys the other night; seems someone; a "star" had one "helluva time", (apparently the skirt was extra short)...Please, please, I know I've said this before, but it bears repeating: quickly 86 the "800 kars-for-kids" jingle for humanity sake, (not against cars for kids, but THAT spot is for the garbage bin)...KSFO morning "dude" Brian Sussman repeats this about 321x: "You, sir, (fill-in guest) are a "Great American"...and after sound bite4, "he's a 'great American" and seconds later, "YOU are a GREAT AMERICAN'--evidently, Sussman has a copyright on "Great American"...Does anybody know what the hell happened to FM radio? Oh, I know its become irrelevant and satellite radio is the mantra, but still, other than a few KQED's here, an 80's-lite, KFOG there, and KDFC and KCSM, I can't make out anything--they all sound the same; ok, I forgot, "Alice, 97.3 with heavy Tom Petty...Speaking of KCSM, I can only keep asking, how do they keep this little treasure going?...Oh, hey, yeah, I know about interns doing updates on KNBR. That's old news. Sort of like the Cumulus philosophy: if its cheap, we can deal with it...Another "yes-I know" dept.--KTVU has been using revolving anchors with its Noon news, (Sports anchor Mark Ibanez hosted and shined in Jan--Rita Williams too; its a part of the new reality in local TV news; they have 'utility infielders who DH'--its the new business model--get used to it...Speaking of KTVU; they still dominate the market and make lots of money for Cox; how much? Try in the mid $40 million range; p.s: someone who  would know told me once about five years ago that the "10 o' clock News" alone accounted for 1% of the gross earnings for Cox Broadcasting, (that's powerful)...Got an e-mail from Malou Nubla who does the "sell" show on Channel 2; yeah, I know its a part of "DA business"; Ms. Nubla was cool enough to say she reads this crap, so I owe her lunch at Tommys Joynt...BREAKING NEWS: Steve Moskowitz is considering calling EVERY morning, noon, and evening radio show in EVERY market in US; alert authorities...Yes, I rip, but I can praise too: Mychal Urban is very good on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, or at least way better than he is on radio; sorry Mikey, but the schmaltzy "unicorn hour" and assorted other knibber isms you spiel forth are not my cup of coffee, but that's just me...Another pain in the royal tuchas: the use of the phrase: "at the end of the day"--oh, hell, get a damn life! ..Another beauty: "For the 900th time...blah-blah-blah, (don't get me started)...Psst, between you and me, THAT GUY, Mr 9-Nooner? He keeps saying the SAME stuff day after day after day, I mean, he thinks I have no life--he should look in the mirror after he's done talking about how if you have 'kids and your father and mother took care of you in life'-blah, blah, blah, (meanwhile he still occasionally mentions sports every now and then when he's not rating the ta-ta's of various female rappers)...I was just thinking, actually wishing what would Herb Caen think about the state of the world these days? Could you imagine the lines Caen would pen on "American Idol" alone?...Tony Bruno had me howling a bit on Thursday with his bit with Radnich on knibber. Bruno cell-phoned on his way to LAX and continued on through the terminal area on to his SWA airplane about to "get down" on his way to Scottsdale. Bruno either intentionally or unintentionally left his cell open when he made it to the plane and was heard uttering a few choice things--yeah, it was funny...PS Emmys: Comcast SportsNet Bay Area took home eight Emmys and Wayne Freedman got his usual multiples...Is it just me or do you too frankly don't give a damn anymore about the Bay to Breakers? Used to be fun to watch and now has been relegated to "who gives a -shit" dept;...FINALLY: Tips and e-mails are warmly encouraged here. If you don't want your name used and desire anonymity, that's cool. Every tip is checked and investigated.

**Follow me on Twitter

**ADVERTISE ON RL 415 MEDIA: rich.lieberman@gmail.com

7 comments:

  1. Rich, any idea how much money KNBR still makes for Cumulus? I am sure the advertising during the Giants/49er/Warrior games costs a pretty penny, but how is their bottom line over all? Any idea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeffrey: No idea, but probably not as much as you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may have caught KGO GM Mickey Lukhoff on Ronn Owens this week. In addition to the usual "I hate Ray" and When are you going to have a woman talk show host?" Mickey took a lot of grief from Ronn about going FM. No mention, by the way, of the pending demise of the afternoon news. If it does go away go, I can think of two broadcasters who would do quite well in the morning slot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe Moskowitz showing up as a legal analyst on Comcast. I consulted with him once on tax issues. A shower was in order shortly thereafter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So,whats the breakdown on Bruce vs F&B?.I wouldnt expect a Bruce rout being so new,but I wouldnt be surprised if F&B were at a record low in ratings.
    I know I have heard just minutes over the last month or so-when the others are in commercial..then back to Bruce I go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DBruce blows away Rudy and the angry LSU man; F&B have the dial position--that's it.

    Didn't hear Luckoff on RO, and yes, I wouldn't expect for him to comment of the PM news demise, but my peeps say its gonna happen sometime this yeat and I'm sticking by the story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "star", "short skirt". Roberta Gonzalez. Hasto be. Just like every year...

    ReplyDelete