Sunday, September 3, 2023

A Tribute to Mom: Ms. Anne Landau-Lieberman : Say Her Name

IT'S BEEN FIVE years since mom's passing.

    Feels like yesterday, a cliche, yes, but so true.

        My mother Ms. Anne Landau, please, say her name.

            Mom was special. She raised all of us. Two boys, two girls, I was the youngest. When my brother Michael died in 2000, it took a lot out of mom. My mother was close to Mike, and filled with many obstacles and issues, sadly that led to his early demise. Even so, mom couldn't deal with his premature death. It was hard.

                My mom was as tough as nails but Mike's passing took its toll. I tried my best to lessen the void that affected mom's life with my brother's passing but it never materialized. Mom was never the same. I could see it every day. Life was never the same, try as I might.

                    I took my mother to the doctor and treated her to lunch. We made it a weekly ritual. My sisters were around too but not as close. I made sure mom was at the doctor's office,with Elayne too, my sister, also acting as co-def ender, so to speak. But I took upon myself to be there for her every day. My mother was fiercely independent and acted as much but I very much wanted to be there with her day and night. She needed me. Truth is, I needed her.

                       She'd periodically joke, with her memory lapses. she'd had begun "early stages oldness and forgetfulnesss."

Even with that, my mother was still sharp as a whip and lucid. At 90, she looked about 75 and still as cool and funny as ever. Brooklyn to Oakland, four kids, my dad's unevenness and more drama than you can imagine. Mom still persevered. A special mom.

Ms. Anne Landau.

                           We did lunch and breakfast after each doctor's visit. I'd cheer more when she got good news from her blood work. Mom was sort of like, "whatever..."

                               For breakfast, we ate at the ButterCup in Jack London Square and lunch at Franchesco's near the Oakland Airport. She loved their filet of sole and corned-beef and cabbage. You should have seen her eyes when they brought out the meals.

                                   Mom, I MISS YOU so much. I cry every day. It's hard. I thought you had a few more years left. I wasn't ready for the end.

                                       I still can't fathom how it's been five years. You don't know the pain mom, still to this day.

                                           I will always cherish your impact on my life, now and forever.,

11 comments:

  1. A fine heartwarming tribute to your Precious Mother, God Bless You and Her

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice column Rich. I took my own mom to a Dr's appointment, then afterwards for a salmon lunch the last day of her life. She was feeling great, we had a great conversation, & she said it was the best salmon she had ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom is so sick right now and I am doing everything I can to comfort her but she won't do what the doctors tell her and so is in and out of the hospital almost every week suffering every day. Caregiving is very hard but you do what you have to do. You helped to give her a good life Rich but sometimes people won't change or take things seriously. That is life I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this tribute Rich. Respect to you & your family 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very beautiful tribute. I still miss my mum everyday and it's been decades. Our mums will always be part of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a good son, it is right and OK to miss your mother. She loved you and knew how much you loved her

    ReplyDelete
  7. May her memory be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We agree on: My mom had a son pass before she did just like your mom. It too, zapped some energy out of her. We disagree on: Your grieving as you do, my mom would kick my butt if I behaved as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ms. Anne Landau, one fine lady.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rich, wonderful tribute to your mother. It's really hard losing a parent, keeping their memories alive helps getting through one of the toughest of times. Not a day goes by I don't think about them even if it's just a brief moment. I was raised in Oakland too, the 60's 70's and early 80's were the best of times!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rich, I'm so sorry that you lost such a wonderful mom. As someone who by age 50 had lost all her immediate family, I feel for you and realize how alone you must feel without the woman who was your Rock of Gibraltar. Even though she's gone, she will always be a part of you. Love never dies. I wish you peace, healing and happy memories of a very special lady.

    ReplyDelete