Wednesday, September 2, 2020

415 Media Exclu: Bye Bye Tommy's Joynt--Update 3--Still Closed

About Us — Tommy's Joynt

A SF Institution --is now CLOSED ...permanently --Tommy's Joynt on Van Ness --one of the best and most celebrated Bay Area eating places --and my all-time favorite --is no longer, I'm told by a good contact.

I called the venerable outlet and their phone number is disconnected.

What a shame.

The Van Ness Ave corridor has been torn apart by a years-long street improvement that has HURT businesses on the avenue and TJ is one of many that has seen sales plummet --unfortunately this project put a dagger into the restaurant and as a result, there's now no Tommy's.

It wasn't the only reason but certainly tops on the list.

menu - Picture of Tommy's Joynt, San Francisco - Tripadvisor

UPDATEL 12: 20 PM PT:

Now amid rumors that this is "temporary" closure, I asked my contact who insisted this is NOT the deal and that, unfortunately, the business is closing and that the decision is final.

These folks agree.

UPDATE 2; 12: 34 PT: another Internet rumor: that one of the TJ owners is saying that the restaurant is not closed permanently but "temporarily" due to Covid-19 --a close source tells me he had heard from "several" contacts say closure is certain.

I hope I'm wrong.

UPDATE 3: 2: 44 PM PT

The Chronicle reported one of the owners of the restaurant said "we're only temporarily" closed which I'm told was double speak so the creditors would go away; as of now, I'm still hearing the joynt ain't jumping now nor later.

Either way, hold off ordering any turkey sandwiches for a few years.

Again, I hope I'm wrong.

30 comments:

  1. This is very sad news indeed. I used to live in the Marina and would take the 47 Van Ness up to Tommy's for an inexpensive meal, great beer and fun. It will be greatly missed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not the only reason indeed. Shithole city run into the ground by decades of control by 1 shithole party. Many many articles coming out the past few weeks about longtime San Franciscans that are getting the hell out of the city. Just completely fed up with what it is now compared to what it once was.

    Cue the Trump this, faux news that. That couldn't be farther from the truth. Reality is finally setting in for many. Unfortunately, far too late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey but at least Nancy can get a hair appointment at a moments notice. Damn the rules everyone else has to follow, right? Right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pelosi needs to resign. Her "white privilege" has expired.

      Delete
  4. Seeing that menu it was basically the SF version of Harry's Hofbrau.

    Rich if you want a very similar meal please patronize one of the last 2 Harry's Hofbraus. You can thank me later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry's is not even close to TJ. Born and raised in SF and lived there for sixty years and left without a reget. It was such a beautiful city.

      Delete
    2. I prefer Harry's myself. To each their own.

      Delete
    3. The key word there is "was" a beautiful city. :-(

      Delete
  5. Man, this is sad news. My friends and I ate many meals there, and had a few drinks too, during my days working in The City. Was a good place to sober up (with a good, hearty, inexpensive meal), after having a few too many drinks elsewhere! And it was a great place to go, before and after Giants' games.

    Tommy's will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An all-time favorite of mine, too, Rich. Sad day, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a fucking restaurant closure, not a political movement for christ's sake! Lets bring back the terminator as Governor and all those deficits!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really believe the state doesn't have billions of dollars in unfunded liabilities? Oh sure they "balanced the budget" for this year. Nevermind the billions of dollars owed on credit cards and future installment payments.

      Don't believe everything Newsom et al. feed you.

      Delete
    2. Arnold left the state in quite a budget mess.

      Delete
    3. I do agree with the "RESTAURANT CLOSING" endless headlines. Yes, it's too bad people are being laid of and losing their jobs. It's really bad. But sometimes it's just an add for someone else to buy them out for cheap.

      Delete
  8. No outdoor dining in the age of Covid doomed many.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shoot - if they were cash only, no wonder they had problems in 21st Century.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE Harry's Hofbrau! I go to the Harry's in San Leandro. There is also a Harry's in Redwood City but their San Jose location is now closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't go wrong with Harry's Hofbrau.

      But in San Francisco.
      A must- try now is
      "The Codmother"
      Near fishermans warf.
      Locals ...not tourists.

      Delete
    2. You're making me hungry. I didn't know Harry's was open.

      Delete
  11. Thank your idiot Mayor London Bridges and King Gavin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Overpriced tough meat and warm, soggy greens that have been sitting under a light for four hours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a bummer, had a few good times there in my lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been there on a few trips to the City. Neat place and will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks like Tommy's Joynt is temporarily closed. I work in Civic Center and the last time I walked up to Tommy's Joynt which I'll admit was probably a few months ago or so I think they had a sign posted on their front door saying that they are temporarily closed. Of course it could be different now, but I don't blame them for trying to quiet down the rumors of them closing.

    With that being said, whether they're temporarily closed or closed for good, I miss Tommy's Joynt. I really enjoyed their Baked Lasagna, and even their salmon filet and rice combo wasn't that bad. I also liked how their food was affordable and you don't have to spend almost $20 for a simple lunch like you do for other lunch spots here in the City.

    But yes, I miss Tommy's Joynt, and I hope that they will be able to come back after the pandemic or sometime before the pandemic is over.

    ReplyDelete
  16. MMMMMMMmmmmm. hot roast beef sammiches.

    ReplyDelete