Thursday, April 26, 2012

Aubrey Huff, Depression, and Me



This will be short...for now.

I read that the SF Giants' Aubrey Huff has been placed on the disabled list due to an anxiety disorder, possibly enhanced with a case of depression. Like you, I don't know all the details, only Henry Schulman's story on SFGate.

Depression and anxiety are terrible. I have to be open. I too have had, and continue to experience depression and have had anxiety attacks for a good many years. It is hell.

Without too much information, (at least for now), I just offer out my deepest sympathies to Aubrey Huff and hope he gets better. Life is bigger than baseball.

These are Schulman's words:

I have struggled with whether to say this publicly, and how to do it, but this gives me a good opening. Since 2009 I have been treated for depression, in therapy and medicinally, and continue to be treated. Many awful things happened to me and people around me in a very short time, and my mental health was affected. Anxiety and panic attacks were part of it.

My journey began much like Henry's, but I've been battling depression for over twenty years. It's tough. I don't want to make this post seeking sympathy--there's no M.O. here other than, like Henry, I wanted it out and in the open.

I'm not the only one. There's several millions of people out there battling depression and anxieties. It makes you stop and ponder. Moreover, it puts everything in perspective. Everything. In any event, I'm hopeful that Mr. Hough gets the treatment and help and support he obviously needs.








15 comments:

  1. Went down this road 25 years ago, it was scary would not wish this malady on my worst enemy...my best to anyone who is afflicted with this disorder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last week I saw Brian Copeland's new 1-man play, "The Waiting Period." The play is gripping, and its all about depression and ones' ability to survive it, hopefully. Well worth going, I highly recommend. As one would expect with Copie, he weaves a lot of humor into the otherwise serious subject matter. http://www.briancopeland.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me think about the famous baseball move, "Fear Strikes Out," about ballplayer Jimmy Piersall, who had a host of mental health problems. Prayers for Aubrey, Rich and all who deal with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not breaking any new news here - it's been leaked out officially or otherwise. Hough's wife filed for divorce. That will surely launch the problems he is having, and might indicate the slump this year in his baseball career. Tough times, I've been there, done that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One big key is be with the right people. Whether it's divorcing a spouse or severing ties with a classmate whose personality clashes with yours, it is EXTREMELY important to stay far away from those whose conduct spreads high anxiety within your environment. Never let a person, place, thing, or even a holy book interfere with your psychological needs (forgiveness doesn't always remove the scars or trauma). Whatever it takes to defeat anxiety and depression while living a better life, do it! Nothing should contrast with these efforts, regardless of intent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely prayers for all who deal with this, Aubrey and "Our Rich" included.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Rich...hang in there. Life is a long journey with a lot of bumps and setbacks and wed all react differently to what we encounter.
    No one should judge another person unless they can spend some time walking in that person's shoes,. and knowing what they know.

    I too, have fought with the demons of self doubt, anxiety, and even depression. My experiences haven't been that terrible because I've always stayed positive and busy physically, but I HAVE experienced what it's like and two members of my family have had extreme problems in these two areas as well.

    So all of you, including Rich, who are battling this malady...try to stay strong, positive and as busy as possible, even though it's sometimes very hard to do so. And perhaps most importantly...try to be good to yourselves. Life is too short to do otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Divorce is how I discovered I was clinically depressed. Funny how little we sometimes know and how we accept certain behaviors as if it's just life. Antidepressants and good therapy completely changed my life. The best to all that battle depression..

    ReplyDelete
  9. So you really are a "sad lonely man in his underwear"?

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mother has suffered for 50 years. Its been painful to watch. I am thankful for therapy and meds for her. And I worry about my kids. One of the keys is to shine a light on how common and debilitating this is. Thank you for sharing and raising awareness. All the best to you, and all those who suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll never forget my first anxiety attack. Came out of nowhere; had no clue I was even anxious or worried in my day to day life. It's amazing how the brain, via anxiety or depression, forces us to look at what, through self preservation, we are choosing to ignore.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whats a good tonic for depression? KRON turning down the thermostat when Darya is on. Like today. She's chilly in red. Holy Moly,try and not stare!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good on you going public Rich, it's horrible I've been there. It can be beaten.

    The more people the discuss this in the open the more it'll lose it's stigma. Keep it up man and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I almost did myself in three weeks ago. I was just so tired of being under this constant black cloud. Nothing has worked, I have tried every medicine, every form of therapy and I'm just getting worse. I'm sort of stunned I'm still here. But I'm still depressed. It is torture. Good luck to fellow sufferers. That was incredibly brave of Aubrey, and Rich, well you have balls of steel. I really admire you.

    ReplyDelete