Monday, November 16, 2009

Five questions for Tony Bruno


He's one of the best and funniest personalities on sports talk radio; Tony Bruno is a radio veteran with more than 35 years in broadcasting. Bruno’s radio journey has led him to become an award-winning reporter, anchor and talk host at the highest level in the industry.

Bruno has worked at ESPN radio, Sporting News radio and now hosts the wildly popular "Into the Night" on Fox Sports radio. You can listen to him weeknights from 7-10 PM, (locally KNBR 1050)

1. You're a Philly guy, with east-coast juice that's managed to get a huge following in the Bay Area--tell us your secret?

I think being on the radio since I started ESPN in 1992 and later doing the mornings with Gary for the last 12 years or so has developed a loyal and steady following in the Bay area. It also helped doing the Best Damn Sports Show for 3 years and whenever I would come up to SF, people would recognize me from that show and KNBR, of course.

2. How hard is to NOT rip the Raiders when you do the post game for Comcast?

I can say what I want since I don't work for the Raiders, but it's fair, even when I point out just how bad this team really is. Doing the show with Romo and the steady Jim Kozimor is fun. We talk serious football, but have a lot of entertainment value as well. I do the weekly "Bruno Blitz" segment where I just let it rip. We do an internet-only "halftime live" on CSN-California.com and then go live immediately after the game with the only local Raider post-game show on TV.

3. The ladies love you; what's your secret?

No secret. It's probably my lovely speaking voice, average intelligence and friendly personality. I portray a wild guy now that I'm single, but I'm pretty even keeled, but can get crazy if need be.

4.The segment with Gary Radnich is quite popular; you guys have quite a rapport...

Gary and I just click on the really trivial and silly stuff that represents us both going re-living our lives and the good music and sports knowledge just flows. We can go for 30 minutes every day(and do) without any idea of where we are going and it somehow works. I think we touch a lot of nerves with folks from their 50's all the way into their 20's due to staying up on the pop culture stuff as well.

5. You're in the Bay Area quite a lot now, (doing the Comcast show) Where do you hang, eat, sip the wine?

I don't want women hanging out in the hotel lobby unless they let me know first :) I stay at the same great hotel every weekend(Handlery), go to my favorite place Umbria a lot, and just love walking around the Union Square and Soma areas because there is so much to see, eat and do. Try to catch live music - Ashford and Simpson at the Rrazz room last weekend, drink great wine everywhere and just relax on Saturdays before getting up Sunday to do the Raiders from the Comcast studios.

Follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment