Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Liz Cook Makes Her Mark at KPIX

IF YOU TOLD ME I'D BE A LIZ COOK ADVOCATE a few years back, I'd deport you to the KRON lunch room.

Cook has elevated herself to the top of the list. Quietly, she's in my TOP 5 Bay Area anchor list. She's not spectacular (who is?) but she's consistent and thorough. And that's good enough for me. Look, her credentials used to be an issue but that's passe now. She reads the teleprompter well and she has garnered a PRESENCE, which is the only thing that counts in the TV News world.

Dare I say Cook is now at least infinitely watchable. And unlike Allen Martin, who comes off as thinking he's Jesus Christ, Liz Cook just delivers the news and does so with a sincere delivery and commanding presence. It's not a science as some make it out to be. Oh, and Cook had hekp from her influential dad who worked at Disney? She's not the only one who got help from family so I'm not going to crucify her. As a straight-up news anchor, Liz Cook delivers the goods and does so as capable as anyone. She's also significantly BETTER than when she first started at PIX nearly a decade ago.

That works in my book.

**** READERS OF 415 MEDIA: PLEASE, IF YOU LOVE THE SITE ...if you love being informed of the Bay Area media biz and without the BS SPIN, then PLEASE, MAKE A DONATION to 415 MEDIA! NOW. 415 MEDIA is 100% READER-SUPPORTED! WITHOUT YOUR SUPPORT, THERE IS NO 415 MEDIA. PLEASE MAKE A CONTRIBUTION NOW --GO TO THE PAY PAL DONATE BUTTON ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BLOG AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. I WILL PERSONALLY CONTACT YOU AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR DONATION!

11 comments:

  1. > IF YOU TOLD ME I'D BE A LIZ COOK
    > ADVOCATE a few years back,
    > I'd deport you to the KRON
    > lunch room.

    If they hire her F/T, you'll be saying the same thing about Kyla Grogan in a year, trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. > And unlike Allen Martin, who comes off as
    > thinking he's Jesus Christ...

    Or Ken Bastida, who comes off as BEING all the Three Stooges.

    (Bastida on a recent story about firefighters who had to rescue a cat stuck in a tree: "I didn't know they really did things like that.")

    ReplyDelete
  3. With regard to her father's help: what was the woman supposed to do, sabotage the situation and ruin it for herself?

    I don't know Liz personally. But for a woman who came from "privilege," and who has likely been subjected to resentments because of that particular situation, she sure comes across as being down-to-earth, good humored, and personable. And she seems to have done the necessary work, to improve her on-air game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. > she sure comes across as being down-to-earth,
      > good humored, and personable.

      How in the world can you tell that just from watching her read a prompter?

      Delete
    2. She has done more than read a prompter, on-air. And I've seen her interviewed, several times. As I wrote, I don't know her personally. My assessment is based on her persona in interviews, and her PIX on-air work/presence.

      Delete
    3. She is a sweetheart, and one of the nicest folks I ever worked with. Trust me; she IS down-to=earth and personable. A genuinely nice woman.

      Delete
  4. I don't even think she reads a teleprompter well. She stumbles over words several times during a broadcast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stumbling over words/stuttering/malaprop problems plagued her, during her earlier days at PIX. She is certainly not perfect nowadays, but it seems to me that she has improved quite a bit in that respect.

      Delete
  5. What helps Liz's improvement besides repetition is that she works well with all of the most respected PIX staffers, namely the only anchor who can really inspire her to raise her game - our girl Jules.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allen Martin is the only hard working one out of the bunch . The bunch meaning Ken and Liz . Those two just complain all the time . Behind the scene folks know the real story .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allen Martin can't keep his mouth shut. I mean literally, he can't keep it shut. Watch him when he reads the prompter and then throws it to a package, he'll finish his sentence and then pause with his mouth open until they start the video. Looks incredibly stupid.

    ReplyDelete