Thursday, June 18, 2020

No Ripping Here: Don Sanchez is still a Cool Guy; KGO Anchor Did 40 Years at Circle7

Don Sanchez - Channel 7 News San Francisco, California CA Original ...
ADon Sanchez

DON SANCHEZ is a great man. He's also the exact person both on and more importantly, off the airwaves.

Sanchez spent 40 years at KGO, he retired  back in 2012 (time flies) and I miss him tremendously because it's hard to find good people in the biz these days.

Sanchez is one of those good people.

Don always treated people the way your mother told you to treat people "Treat people like you want to be treated."

I want to make clear that Don Sanchez is very much alive today and enjoying retirement in Marin but he still has that vintage style. I know he could go on the air right now and perform as if he hasn't missed a beat.

Don Sanchez made me crack up repeatedly because I had always heard he'd been spotted up at the Top of the Mark sipping wine with a very attractive woman. God, this guy had a way with women and I say that with admiration. Right Don? He laughs and then says, "oh Rich." My ego just made me do it, so OK, Mr. Sanchez had a magnificent repertoire I'll just leave it at that.

Don Sanchez is a very good guy. Today more than ever, it's good to know he's around and still making waves, just not on Circle7 and boy, does the Bay Area miss him. Still, even after 40 years, there's no one more fresh and cool than the great Don Sanchez.

Sanchez retires from KGO - Media Moves

7 comments:

  1. Once again Rich, you are right on in your depiction of Don Sanchez! I also ran into him one time when I was at a local parade and he was there reporting for KGO. We spoke and had brief conversation, and as you said, he is a really nice guy and hospitable in his conversations. And when I think about it, there is nobody who comes close today, as a media personality, to Don Sanchez!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Don 35+ years ago at a deli in the Marina. I said hi Don and greeted me back. Nice guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rich, I agree with you!! Everything about Don is pure professionalism!! Hope he's enjoying the good life!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always seemed like an upbeat guy; don't remember him ever doing/saying anything objectionable, on-air. Quite the tenure in this market, and at one station, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked with him a bit at KGO. Nicest guy in the world and it wasn't just an act. Everyone liked him.

      Delete
  5. I will also add this, Rich, if you go to Youtube, and look for the video from KGO on the day of the 1989 earthquake, you will see Don Sanchez along with a couple of other reporters/anchors, who were absolutely great. Look at that tape, and even under the chaos that was happening all over the bay area at the time, The blonde anchor at the time, held it together, along with Don Sanchez, and the others. Looking at that tape, it REALLY lets you see in dramatic fashion, the difference between today's anchor/reporters, and those classic anchors like Sanchez, of days gone by...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's a great picture of him:

    shorturl.at/FPRY2

    ReplyDelete