Friday, March 15, 2019

Diarrhea in the Morning; KGO Radio's Insufferable Mark Thompson; It's Not 1983 Anymore, Mark; Friday Blunt

Image result for Mark Thompson KGOOK, KGO, YOU DID A REVAMP, CONGRATS, BUT DID YOU HAVE TO GIVE US RADIO FECES IN THE MORNING, LIKE THIS CRAP? Of Course you did.

I've listened for most of the week to KGO's latest iteration; a shift away from the obscure and useless to an attempt to be relevant and thought-provoking; you know, news-talk, that meaty format that was responsible for almost 30 years of #1 ratings and market dominance in the Bay Area. It's not 2000 anymore and KGO isn't its blue-chip special; you can't revitalize a decayed corpse but you can build on the offspring. Hope springs eternal and KGO has tried, I'll give them that. Pat Thurston and John Rothmann have been fine.

Then there's the morning. Oy vey what a catastrophe --a flat out embarrassment by a guy who used to have it but now spews out garbage and thinks his voice is the star of the show, meet Mark Thompson, or rather, Mark Thompson's pipes, a two-hour diarrhea of the airwaves that has about as much interest as a week-old burrito from the Daly City Chevron station. Actually, I'd settle for the burrito.

Thompson, the former KRON weather guesser who has been mumbling down in Ell-Lay for thirty years was brought back to KGO, I guess, because they think Thompson's audio feces would be popular and drive up interest and conversely, ratings. It won't happen. It can't happen. Thompson is in love with his voice and his chronic emphasis on that voice is out of control and therefore, the radio is dull and dreary. This isn't 1983 anymore, Mark, and it's been years since Flock of Seagulls had a hit. You of all people should know better.

Image result for diarrheaThompson has been trying his best to shake up the morning at KGO (10 AM-Noon) but there's no there there. You have a nothing burger talking about nothing. It's as evident as the suburban target logo on Target stores. Instead of just being himself and talking news, Thompson has relied on gimmicks and side-show banality; the little topics he's touched on are mere AP retreads that you hear some innocuous jock on FM bring up to fill time and play footsie with the listeners. Thompson is no better but a lot worse. It doesn't help matters that he's been paired with Bret Burkhart, KGO's 97 year-old news relic with all the personality of a Salinas strip mall. Burkhart was last relevant when Bill Clinton was in his first term. Thompson might as well be working with Gumbi as a sidekick because Gumbi would be more interesting.

Thompson doesn't talk nor relate. His voice is commanding and he could be a decent broadcaster, like, say, in news updates but his pontifications are nothing more than a bombardment of uselessness, a bore actually. It's like Thompson is saying, "Gees, I have these great pipes no matter what I say, it'll be just great!" Uh, no, Mark! You'd be better off talking about your hair plugs for heaven's sake. At least that would hold the audience. Tears for Fears mentions don't cut it --Mark, we're in 2018 in case you don't know.

Worse yet, Thompson allowed his pal, everyone's favorite mattress rep, Ronn Owens into the studio and Ronn did his usual blowing although this time it was especially gruesome and nauseating. The janitors at KGO, I'm told, had a collective vomit orgy in the main Cumulus bathroom. It was a mess just like Owens mass blowfest of Thompson's ego. Oh my god even the seagulls on Battery Street were fainting.

This much is certain. Thompson needs help in the worst way. It's only been a week but it feels like a year. Talk Radio is fairly easy and yanking a headline or two off SFGate to spawn listener interest makes sense. But so far, Thompson is meh times 10,000. He needs a jolt. Maybe he needs more rest too so as opposed to allowing limp biscuit Owens into the studio he should plea with Ronnnnnnnn for an extra temperpedic from Mr. Lowenstein and get more rest and better sleep because so far, KGO's morning man is a crap sandwich galore.

***************************************************************

PLEASE SUPPORT 415 MEDIA: We rely solely on reader donations to provide honest and edgy Bay Area media information, scoops, commentary and strive hard for entertaining the masses who come here regularly.

TO CONTRIBUTE: Scroll down the right side of the blog to the "Pay Pal" "Donate" button; click on it and follow the prompters--it takes only a minute and you don't have to have a pay pal account to donate. All contributions are 100 percent confidential and safe and secure.

I will personally call you/e-mail you thanking you for your contribution.

26 comments:

  1. Radio feces in the morning? Please don't be so hard on Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a childish reply .. Must me MAGAT fan. I can see why Trump loves the uneducated

      Delete
  2. Just as I commented in your original story about Mark Thompson returning to KGO. I never liked watching/listening to him and I speculated about it being a backdoor for Ronn to get more airtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Thompson is a mess on KGO 810. He doesn't contribute anything substantive and I notice he lets his 'guests' run rampant on his show with their middle of the road quasi-liberal garbage. I've seen on youTube and he seems passionate there. Here, he sounds more like a lapdog who is trying to please his masters. He kinda sucks. I don't think this will go well for him. He'll be gone before the end of summer (I hope).

      Delete
  3. Lee Hammer, programming genius.

    Oh, oh, and we can't leave out consultant, Jack Swanson. Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thompson is the poor man's Tim Conway, Jr. on KFI. Not as funny or clever. Thinks he knows more than he does about hard news issues. And, yes, is in love with his one-note voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad I have Sirius radio in my car that I never have to listen to Free-Radio again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I misread the headline.

    Thought it said "Darya in the morning".

    Same thing I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't agree with you more Rich. I was all jazzed to hear the new shows on the old KGO. I must say Mark Thompson and Bret Burkhart are a disaster. It has to be one of the most irritating shows on radio. It's like listening to an old vinyl record with cracks, scratches and dust.

    As for the Pat and John shows, so far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Cant listen,cuz all the godamn breaks comercials ,news weather ...,never mind trying to listen online same 3 commercials over and over and over again ..Mark supposedly does a two hour show ?,after the dubious ,scoundrel lying commercials its probably not even a 30 or 35 minutes worth content kgo and am radio is dead to me ... Thanks Rich

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Keep your sunny side up, up ..."

      Delete
  9. Another former TV weatherman doing morning radio!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its KGO folks. If you don't know by now to tune in somewhere else then I sure can't help you. I was a twenty plus year daily and nightly listener.....until 2011 !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know what KGO was thinking when they put Mark on the air. He shines at KFI because he's paired with Tim Conway Jr., who is truly funny. I mean drive-off-the-side-of-the- road-because-you're-laughing funny. Mark plays a straight man for Conway one night a week. But hearing Mark's show this week was painful. I hope he didn't sell his house in LA because I don't think this will last long.

    I'm not thrilled about the other changes at KGO. I'm a Progressive/Liberal, so it's disappointing to hear Pat -- she makes so many factual errors. And when somebody challenges her, she talks over them and cuts them off. She needs a producer or fact-checker to help her with her monologues.

    Rothmann is boring. He knows a thing or two about presidential trivia, but is lost when other subjects come up.

    Makes me long for guys like Gene Burns, who could talk about anything, or Bill Wattenburg, who seemed like he was all science and then would take an odd departure and talk about sex or homework or some other unexpected subject. KGO was fun back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so you complain about pat making factual errors and find that rothmann, who knows his facts...boring.
      and you pine for wingnut wattenburg?
      you are no progressive

      Delete
    2. Agreed 110% on Pat. You hit the nail on the head. Rothmann does the same thing.

      Delete
  12. OK, so Mark Thompson is no Gene Burns or Lee Rodgers. I'm just grateful that he's not Ethan Bearman.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thurston had Tim Sika on AGAIN this afternoon. She just loves this guy. I just went back over to 910 again to listen t Clark Howard. a very well informed, interesting show.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thompson and Radnich were a great team on KRON. Replace Larry with Mark on KNBR, and watch the ratings soar.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Comparing radio to doo doo, and the gas station food that produces it: Rich is officially back.

    ReplyDelete
  16. never had heard of this guy before, reminds one of john miller in that he loves to hear the sound of his own voice, bret burkhard and jason middleton both have a twang thats very annoying, and they are boring as hell

    ReplyDelete
  17. To each their own. I'm not crazy about Mark Thompson, from what I heard of him, is he better than Ethan Bearman, possible, right now it is a toss up, Ethan got a lot better once he dropped his lifestyle crap. So it is possible Mark will get better, I would have preferred Brian Copeland in that spot, but he is suing KGO so that won't happen. Clark Howard, has some good financial advise, not crazy about his voice, and prefer Dave Ramsey and his financial advice. Lots of people love movies so having Tim Sica on for an hour seem perfectly fine, for me it depends on what they are talking about old movies yes, newer ones not so much. As much as I liked Gene Burns and the old Ronn, there is not a host that every once in awhile has a show I don't care for. I turn it off, no need to bash every little thing a host does. I think Brett and Jason has a fine radio voice, as for being boring, they are reading the news, what do you expect, that they are also comedians? Certainly, many are happy John Rothmann is back he gets lot of call, compliments, even from people who disagree with him, and unlike what somebody commented he certainly can talk interestingly and intelligently about many subjects. However, many hosts talks about politics only, Sean Hannity, Rush others, well I should say politics and current events. I feel many commenters here have an almost impossible standard of these hosts, they can't be on top all the time, we all have good and bad days. All I can say is I'm glad Pat and John have their own show and I will listen as much as my schedule allows. As for Mark Thompson let's give him a chance. I never warmed up to Maureen Langdan, but I think she is a lot better than when she started, I will listen once in awhile, and at times she has some good commentary, but for the most part I don't care for her subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Talk about diarrhea in the morning on the FM side of the morning dial, Marcus and Sandy 101.3 are two of the worst DJ's in radio. Just shut up and play music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup..you got KGO diarrhea then on FM the " breeze"
      A nice term for a Fart.

      The two together are a shart.

      Delete
  19. I am pretty sure Bret has a few radio news awards under his belt from AP and I think the state news directors association. Maybe replays of Rich's KSCO talk shows would be more interesting?

    ReplyDelete