Saturday, June 23, 2018

More Hollyfield. Less Anthony. Recipe for Success at KGO-TV; Leslie Griffith Didn't Take Dennis Richmond's BS. A Short Story; Why Does Giants' Broadcaster Duane Kuiper Refuse to wear a Suit? I'm Just Asking; Saturday 415 Media Coffee

Image result for Amy Hollyfield KGO
Amy Hollyfield
SATURDAY 415 MEDIA COFFEE

Image result for Laura Anthony KGO
Laura Anthony
I'M NOT ONE TO BE PC HERE; I like Amy Hollyfield quite a bit on KGO-TV; I just wish I saw a lot more of her because she's a fine GSA Reporter and usually makes even the most boring stories quite interesting and provocative; speaking of boring, there's fellow Circle7 reporter, Laura Anthony, who is the polar opposite of Hollyfield; dull and dreary. My goodness watching Anthony stain the screen happens every time I see her. Anthony doesn't have any magic and her voice and look is vanilla, I know that sounds harsh but I'm giving you the truth. It's like watching paint dry. Does Anthony ever smile? No, not since the birth of Jimmy Carter, I don't care if she was covering the county fair. She looks eternally gloomy like someone fed her melba toast and tofu for lunch with a cold glass of water. Anthony needs something; a good jolt. Maybe a trip to the ocean.

Hollyfield, on the other hand, seems rather frenzied by comparison.

She oozes confidence and happiness. This may sound strange but if she were covering a murder, as bad as that would be, I could smile because at least there's some passion in the story and Amy looks like she would be having a good time. That's no knock on Hollyfield, my point is she is one happy camper.

Image result for Nurse Ratchet
Nurse Ratchet as portrayed by Louise Fletcher
Anthony is instant downer. A veritable Nurse Ratchet. What a turnoff. Am I being tough? Maybe but it's the truth.

*OK, so now that I've ruined your breakfast, tell me why I must suffer that schmuck on the Petersen Dean roofing ads? Terminal indigestion would be more favorable then watching this solar panel schmendrick. Pass the Maalox.

Image result for Leslie Griffith KTVU
Dennis Richmond and Leslie Griffith
*Sure, Leslie Griffith was slightly disturbing and troubled but she was damn good on the air. She was smart as a whip and sort of acted like she was talking directly to you as opposed to merely reading copy off the teleprompter. Yeah, she had a brain and didn't take any shit which probably cost her a job at KTVU but I really like her. A throwback to an era when some anchors actually knew what the hell they were talking about; Griffith projected power and supreme confidence. Too bad the boys at 2 couldn't handle her.

Like, say, Dennis Richmond, who didn't like Leslie because she dare speak her mind. I'm not talking on the air, mind you, I'm talking about off the air persona. Griffith often battled with Dennis because Dennis thought he was king. It could be two battling egos but it was more than that. Leslie often felt (with good reason) that Richmond was a power jerk and liked to intimidate. She wasn't the only one; she was the only one who refused to put up with Richmond's BS. Something you'll never read in the local press except here.

Image result for Duane Kuiper
Duane Kuiper
*Another thing that really irritates me is Duane Kuiper's lack of fashion technique. While the other guys regularly wear suits (except Dave Flemming) Kuiper has to put on the windbreaker --why is this a constant? Kuiper should respect the broadcast and wear professional-looking clothes and not dress like he just left the ski slopes at Tahoe. Is that too much to ask for? I think not. Yeah, I'm a little critical, sue me.

When you're broadcasting a major league baseball game you should always wear a suit and tie. Remember, you're not just some shlunk with a microphone you're representing the Giants and professional baseball; you should look like you belong.

I like Kuiper for the most part unless he sounds like he's bored and eating peanuts on the air but he can at least wear a suit and tie and try to win me over. Not an especially difficult chore and I welcome a transformation.

Like today, perhaps? I'm not holding my breath.



32 comments:

  1. I never understood the gaga Dennis Richmond cult. It seemed so obvious that he practiced his "serious journalist" look by gazing into a gold-framed mirror. I'm glad Leslie put his bowels in an uproar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rank Dennis Richmond as the best local anchor I've seen in my 35 years in the Bay Area. He engaged in no forced guffawing, stupid ad-libs or social commentary, which Frank Somerville constantly does and I can't stand.

      I was a big Griffith fan at first, but after awhile, her moans and sighs after every sad story came off as very unprofessional. She was no airhead, but the main reason she got her job was because she was a hot blonde. Same with Julie Haener, who also does the annoying moans and sighs after sad stories.

      Delete
    2. > I was a big Griffith fan ... and sighs after sad stories.

      WORD. Julie is Leslie light.

      Delete
  2. Rich, this is 2018 and California. Don’t lecture anyone on how they dress. There will always be someone sitting near by looking much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Petersen Dean is like listening to some one gargling testosterone. Hey, KMA!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, of course, that kind of bravado is usually a cover for some dark, deep-seated insecurities ... not that I don't enjoy the gargling, mind you.

      Delete
  4. My parents fell for the Peterson Dean Faux patriot garbage. The replacement of the roof was a nightmare and might last longer than the Iraq war.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rich! I actually met Amy Hollyfield one morning several months ago, when she was doing a morning report near my house. She was nice and I agree, she does good reporting. But, the thing that gets me about her, is that when she is doing stand-up reports later in the day, she always looks directly towards the sun, resulting in her doing these MASSIVE EYE SQUINTS! It does not look good at all, but hey, I do try to overlook it because as you said, she does do a good job at reporting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy H is a BITCH to work with, good in the field or not; most of us at KGO wish she would go away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where is all that SF love we hear so much about? Thought the whole town was continually enraptured in one giant orgasm.

      Delete
  7. Not gonna imply Leslie Griffith was a kook or anything...
    Is she still dressing like a geisha???

    ReplyDelete
  8. - Image has always been overrated in Kuip's view. Mailing it in? Staying there for Lockstep Larry? Despises Amy G the way Richmond couldn't stand Griffith? Less energy either way.
    - You might want to look at the Tribune archives and other TV Media archives before bragging about Griffith. Complaints like being too full of herself and lack of accuracy run the rampant. I remember recently retired Tribune & Press Democrat critic Bill Mann couldn't stand the sight of her when she was anchoring the weekend 10 O'clock News.
    - P&D: Blackhawk's gift to their Hairpiece contingent? P&D is likely the MyPillow of roofers, attracting a certain base that continues to threaten to take our democracy away. They could be permeating Rich's own blog - in fact, they have been.
    - It's a shame that L. Anthony is too much of a droll in her reporting; it can sound painful.
    - If Hollyfield is not liked by KGO staffers, where is the further proof? Do Ashley & Daetz respect her? Because if the best and most important support her, complaints are likely irrelevant.
    - Now if there is any KGO reporter complaints, I would think Woodrow would be atop the list, knowing how much Rich and followers don't care for her persona behind the mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley and Daetz are the "best and most important?" If that's the best they've got they are in serious trouble.

      Delete
    2. > If Hollyfield is not liked by KGO staffers, where is the further proof?

      She mouths off at superiors and is a general moody prima-donna. She may be good but there are others who can deliver without the drama. I don't know what you mean by "proof." Forensics? Hidden video of one of her rants? A trail of bodies of the support people who've tried to please her?

      Delete
  9. Petersen-Dean: VERY high pressure sales tactics; NO or difficulty obtaining any customer service; try and find their office, only 800 numbers listed (and they'll contact you); lots of scams filed against PD.

    $39 a month for a fence? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yep jim petersen is an asshole, he reminds me of chris christie, i think he is from jersey and has that same obnixous cadence to his voice..

      Delete
  10. Your constant worship of the A's broadcast team and denigration of the Giants broadcasters is what irritates me. Has Ray Fosse ever seen a play that wasn't "great"? Miller is in the Hall of Fame, Flemming has become a much in-demand national broadcaster, and Kruk & Kuip have been voted the number 1 baseball broadcast team for 3 consecutive years. Any awards for the A's broadcasters?

    ReplyDelete
  11. check that Crawford obsession -person noted he ''lives in Arizona! lol''. all this bay area homerism for Crawford and he ''lives in Arizona!''. the media electronic mind map. your ''hometown hero'' is ''a thousand miles away''.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coat and tie have gone the way of civility in this country. Walk into a church on a Sunday and you will see people in shorts and flip flops. Walk into a nice restaurant - t-shirt and jeans. Walk into most companies, the same - jeans. The coat and tie are only seen on lawyers in the courtroom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You sure to get worked up about the Giants don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Laura Anthony may be bland but at least she's not ugly -- Amy Hollyfield might be great on the radio but her face is distracting on TV (& not in a good way).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?!? I think both Holyfield and Anthony are downright hot...put them both into a hot tub of lime Jello and I promise you Laura will NOT be dull...

      Delete
  15. Agree about Duiane Kuiper's dress.
    He looks haggard on the wrap-up. And sounds that way as well.
    More importantly, I can't take him seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dontcha know that windbreakers are a natural repellent to peanut shells and nacho sauce? Think of all the suits that would be ruined.

    ReplyDelete
  17. just noticed- dave fleming sounds just as excited about national broadcast as he does about giants. you thought that excitement was only on giants games. so that's a new media term---Canned Professionalism- the same can of string beans every gig you have? GTFO.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I met Leslie Griffith at a dinner 20 years ago and she was gorgeous in person. She also was very nice when I told her that I was fan when she was an anchor at KSBW in Salinas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Besides what he wears, would it kill Kuiper, to look AT the camera when he's on TV?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Actually, I think the A's tv and radio guys have at least one Emmy between them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. totally agree with you re: the Peterson Dean ad and the spokesperson who IDs himself as Jim Peterson

    "Period, end of story!"

    Does the guy sell snake oil? I thought he was selling solar panels.

    The previous ad was worse, if that's possible. Kept talking about how his competition was, in essence, not comparable to his stuff. In the same snake oil, whiney, snarky, tacky tone of voice.

    I finally called the Peterson Dean chat line and told the responding chat line representative that I used to have a good perception of Peterson Dean, based on their TV ads. But their KCBS ads turned me off, to the extent that I had to change the channel whenever that ad came on the radio. And now I had a negative impression of Peterson Dean.

    I realize it's advertising but the TV Jim Peterson is a charming avuncular guy. The radio Jim Peterson is a sleazy fast talking, I'm the best "period, end of discussion" guy whose voice and audio demeanor is intolerable, and is a serious detriment to the Peterson Dean image.

    ReplyDelete