Saturday, March 24, 2018

Mohr, Mohr, Mohr, How Do You Like It? Just a Rumor (For Now); KCBS Isn't 1010 WINS; Ashley's 'WRM" on KGO is Pretty Good. I'd Like to See More; Saturday Candy

Image result for Fresno Greyhound Bus station HEY LOOK! More reporters headed to PIX en route from the Fresno Greyhound depot.

*I'd like to see more anchors do commentary, remember Pete Wilson's "circular file?" Jerry Jensen did a humor piece on KGO; it wasn't always funny but after serious moments, it was a good way to end the hour.

Currently, Dan Ashley's Friday-only "What Really Matters" on ABC7 is a very good, well-written, minute and half commentary about news and personal reflections. Ashley sets a nice tone and pace. I'd like to see more.

And I'd like to see more anchors at other stations here opine every now and then.

*Yes, Mindi Bach was doing fill -in work on KGO the other night but its just that; fill-in. Rick Quan, formerly of KPIX, has the regular sub duty at 900 Front.

*The proliferation of answering a question on radio with ..." so" is beginning to irritate the heck out of me and as you know, I'm already irritated and depressed. Another millennial milestone, how creative, "so."

*Yes, The all-sports radio station on FM makes money for Entercom, its owner. And yes, the morning show has better ratings and doesn't pollute the airwaves like Knibber's AM dreck. That said, 'The Game' isn't that great and most of their talent is mediocre at best.

*Right-wing radio was a hoot to listen to Friday. Even the guy who sounds like Groucho Marx was fuming at El Trumpo.

*I know TSL and CUME and all the radio phrases; I listen to 1010 WINS on the computer; I know their format; all of that said, KCBS isn't 1010 WINS, not even close. I like KCBS because they cover local breaking news well. The North Bay Wild Fires and Napa '14 quake got comprehensive coverage from KCBS; thank goodness because KGO Radio doesn't have any news anymore.

Image result for samantha mohr
Samantha Mohr
KCBS doesn't have to replay twenty! times on a Sunday that the Posey Tube will be closed. It was over the top, and frankly, embarrassing. And, oh, by the way, the tube was closed one day, not the week KCBS broadcast over and over and over.

*I had quite a chat with ex-PIX weatherwoman, Samantha Mohr, the other day and will tell you more about it Monday. If there's any way Mohr can come back to the Bay Area (she's quite happy in Atlanta at the NBC affiliate) Mohr seemed poised for an offer that is rumored ---more on Monday.

*Does KRON buy their sound mixers at Radio Shack? I'm not kidding.

*FINALLY...

415 MEDIA is the Bay Area's only independent media site and relies solely on donations and contributions. PLEASE, help keep this blog sustainable by making a contribution (any amount helps) It's fast and easy: simply go to the Pay Pal "Donate" icon on the right side of the blog and click on it. It takes but a minute and it's safe, secure and completely confidential. I will personally e-mail and/or call you thanking you for your support.

Image result for happy face










19 comments:

  1. I understand the annoyance with the word "so" which annoys me on the several internet forum I frequent, and this is in writing, but typed as if the posters are speaking; very annoying.

    I was also a Samantha Mohr fan, however, this SFBay Area + Calif. is just so expensive. Even with a $200K+ salary I'd find it hard to believe Ms. Mohr could do better than Atlanta, GA (which I believe is home for her anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean in my opinion answering a question starting with "so" is still better than the ever-popular "basically" or the current favorite, "I mean...".

    I mean how can they be clarifying their meaning when they haven't even said anything yet and nobody has asked them what they meant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So my complaint basically is I mean why do we put a question mark at the end of a sentence when by reading the sentence you already know it is question before you get to the place where you put the question mark? We don't talk that way, if we did..."What time is it question mark." "You know what I'm saying question mark." Ban the question mark!!...I don't even like the shape of it!!



      She better come back, she has to mend all the broken hearts she caused when she left, one was mine. What a gorgeous woman!!

      Delete
    2. So, allow me to interpret. When someone starts a sentence with "so," it means "Damn you're ignorant, but I'm going to explain it to you as patiently as I can, anyway."

      Delete
    3. Ashley and McVay both fall into the same category, "interlopers." Natives couldn't give a damn what they have to say about anything, and it is arrogant for them to even be offering their opinions in the first place. Who effing cares what they think.

      Delete
  3. Actually there are two freelance sports anchors at KGO ahead of Mindi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "So" is a giant red flag that a fib is about to happen.

    Zuckerberg does it..
    Meg Whitman...
    Cheryl Sandberg...

    RED FLAG!
    So.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder how 95.7's ratings would be if KNBR were to move to FM. Cumulus would be smart to dump KFOG and turn it to KNBR-FM. (KFOg's recent ratings were bested by several stations from San Jose and KUIC. The stations in question do not get reception in much of the Bay Area.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rich,
    Did you see how great of a job Alexis Smith did filling in for (“your girl”) Dion Lim this morning. In fact she’s better than Jessica Castro too! We need more Alexis ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate when an interviewer says, "Let me ask you a question ..."

    ReplyDelete
  8. How soon you forget about, Wayne Shannon. He had a daily commentary on KRON. During their NBC days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. don't listen to the Game in the morning that often, but Joe Fortenbaugh is another know it all blowhard, and the other two guys are usually unlistenable, so there you go

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, we don't need news readers injecting their personal opinions into hard news any more than they (or the writers) already do. More straightforward hard news reporting and less opinion, please.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm more annoyed with people who start answering questions with the word, "Look..."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't stand Fortenbaugh on the morning show on 95.7, so I stopped listening months ago. Dibbly and Neal deserve better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I listen to the Game because I can't stand the Animal House turds on KNBR. I like Neal and Dibbs and Forenbaugh knows sports but he is redundant and says the same sentence over and over, kind of a blow hole and sometimes I just need to listen to music on my way to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The commercial free hour on 96.5 KOIT? Or the commercial free 80 minute morning on I Heart 80's @ 103.7??

      Delete
  14. Speaking of end-of-newscast commentary, Wayne Shannon on KRON... Somebody had to mention him...

    ReplyDelete