Thursday, February 9, 2012

Just because I like someone on radio/TV doesn't mean I like 'em in person and vice-versa

So, yeah, I do like Gil Gross--he's not the second coming of Art Finley or Alan Colmes, but he's conversational and topical and so, I wrote that. From what I hear, Gross is not exactly enamoured of me, but so what, that's not the point.

And that's my point.

You don't necessarily have to love someone in person to give them high points for their radio and/or TV show. There's a lot of folks in this town who I like, personally, but don't care for their show.

Many of you thought I had some falling out with Ronn Owens, hence my relentless criticisms of his vapid post-format act on KGO. I was an acquaintance of Owens. Nothing more, nothing less. I think it's safe to say that small friendship is in the toilet now. So much for my perceived homerism. And that's OK with me because try as I might, the present Owens, while miles away from the past Owens, is still entertaining from time to time. The rest of his cast over there is unlistenable, but you know that already.

It would be nice and convenient if we all just loved one another. I've probably burned a few bridges, (gees, you think, Rich?), but I try to be honest. At the very least, I'll defer. Some of these posts have cost me alliances, but that's the price you pay for trying to be genuine.

Those of you out there who have been a target, but understand, we needn't have to say any more. Sure, a few who didn't get the memo and think I'm Satan, we'll, it goes with the territory and I'll live with it. You can't always win.

Here's a good example: I can probably say with a hundred percent certainty that I'd have a hard time getting along, (I think) with Michael Savage, but I enjoy his show, (yeah, I know, how could I be so gutless); a few TV people I once hoisted a few with many moons ago, some, I can't watch. They know that--I do too.

It's a prickly business. And I don't do a lot of hangin' anymore anyway which is sorta good doing this.

And that's fine with me.

15 comments:

  1. If they're doing a show for public consumption, then their on-air product is fair game for criticism ... and praise. Their private life is and should be off limits unless they make it an issue (e.g. Bernie Ward) and then all bets are off because it becomes news. Being a critic/commentator means you'll occasionally ruffle some feathers of on-air talent. Joke 'em if they can't take a fuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you really SATIN Rich?

    And here people thought you were the devil! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the hell is Gross' issue with you? Is he a "journalist snob" who looks down on you? If that is the case then he can go F-himself. I can take him or leave him on air, his long winded stupid jokes referencing some obscure ass show from the 60s are a bore. He is type of guy who tells a joke and people force a smile just to humor him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow there 8 PM! What did GG do to YOU?

      Lots of us like him. A LOT!

      Delete
  4. Alan Colmes is one sick motherfucker. Ask the Santorum family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gil Gross is pretty good, not bad to listen to. But why would he not like you Rich? You are just reporting the "real stories". But its nice to see you are nuetral.

    I just saw a great and interesting story on KNTV NBC BAY AREA 11. I dont normally like them, but this time they did good and Ill give them credit.

    GREAT STORY REPORTING. SEEMS MAYOR REED IN SAN JOSE LIED TO GET UNIONS TO GIVE IN, untruthfull REPUBLICAN UNION BUSTERS!! Check out their web site nbcbayarea and see the stoy yourself. Only thin ive liked on their news in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Savage's show yesterday in the 5:00 hour was laugh out loud funny. Very entertaining radio. Many a time I'll have to switch channels to 650 since 910 weaves in and out on my car radio (antenna busted at a car wash), and when I put on Savage, I'm always guaranteed a good belly laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Rich...why are you always taking shots at Bob ' Giggles' Fitzgerald? (AKA 'Fatty' Fitzgerald)

    Sure he knifed his 'buddy' Greg Papa i nthe back to get the Warriors TV gig back in 1997, but jeez Rich, he's got a family to feed!

    Lighten up on Fitzie! He's just a hardworking guy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. and if you wonder why good old "chuckie" reed is so upset about not being able to give tax payer money to his developer cronies anymore.because of the excellent decision by the Cal Supremes re:redevelopment cons...when you learn that much of his salary comes from redevelopment funds..you start to get the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Radnich has been bringing up about low life bloggers who drink "I could never talk to THEM"..Kruger then mouthed something, a one word (name?)..they censored him. Who was Kreuger talking about? you-- or me?..hee.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is this facination with Colmes? He's a hack, his callers are paid and still states inflamatory language during Pelosi's walk down the Capitol streets after the signing of the healthcare bill.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anyone else want to admit to being old enough to remember Art Finley's "Mayor Art" kids' show at KRON in the early 1960s?...later there was "Art's Gallery" at the bottom right of the fron page of the Chronicle's Sunday Punch section, in which he supplied piquant modern-day captions to classic Victorian novel illustrations (much in the manner of today's Trader Joe's "Fearless Flyer.")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I admit remembering Mayor Art, which I thought was dumb.

      However, (stated most haughtily!) I was a weekly reader and frequent contributor to Aunt Elsie in the Oakland Tribune. I even won the Grand Prize TWICE!

      Nowadays, I mention this frequently in job interviews and of course in my resume....:)

      I am sorry to pull rank on the rest of you but there it is.

      Delete
    2. Consider yourself deferred to, and rightly so!

      Delete
    3. ..."haughtily" is a word that Mayor Art would have put out there for his "City Council" kids to learn...

      Delete