Thursday, February 23, 2012

Ex-KTVU BigWig Kevin O'Brien let go by Detroit TV Station; 'KOB' was force behind KTVU Dominance

A Detroit station has fired TV bigwig, Kevin O'Brien.

O'Brien, late of Meredith Broadcasting, has seen his career take a murky turn since his successful days at the helm of KTVU, where, under his stewardship, Channel 2 developed into the local TV news powerhouse that was, (and still is), the envy of the industry.

"KOB", as he's known among his inner circle, began programming stations back east and in Las Vegas, but the past few years have not been kind to the top TV exec. This latest development in Detroit, (first reported by Newsblues, paywall), represents a more potentially disturbing element to O'Brien's resume.

We will make a further inquiry.
*Follow me on Twitter

11 comments:

  1. Biggest DICKHEAD ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think O'Brien was a dickhead? You obviously have not had the pleasure to work with CURRENT set of Ego-Centric, Brain-Dead TOOLS that are currently "Managing" the KTVU news sweatshop.

      Delete
  2. His (late) mother liked me, thought I was a nice young man even though I was at least ten years older than Kevin.

    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  3. The epidome of entitled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A GREAT man! And a brilliant TV executive. 2 Jack London Square has not been the same since he left!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The above comment written by KOB himself!

      Delete
  5. I must say that in my tenure at KTVU, 1990-1994, I witnessed Kevin O'Brien being open to anything that would help his station lead the market. I brought him unconventional and as of that moment untried ideas and he gave me full support to realize those creative concepts that made the station unprecedented new revenue. He took risks. He succeeded because he was not a cookie cutter executive trying to protect his job but instead pushed the envelope to excel. Love him or hate him you have to give him that. He was innovative and competitive and just a damn good broadcaster. As with all people who are unconventional and not an empty suit, he had his detractors, he also had a fan base of those who understood him with all his piccadillos. Even though he and I butted heads on many occasions and sometimes were very mad with one another, I still hold great fondness for the best boss and most open minded boss I ever had. Don't let them get you down, KOB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny, I worked there those same years as an intern and new producer and he directly threatened to fire me (actually said I would never work there again) because I would not date or sleep with him. I was in my early 20s and he was in his 50s. He was disgusting. If it wasn't for the Labor Union stepping in on my behalf he would have had me squashed. Total sleaze big

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same thing happened to me. Same years... He tried to sleep with all the young ladies there. Besides being 20 plus years older, the herpes outbreaks on his mouth was a deterrent. KOB. You've been measured, sleaze bag. Nasty old man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kevin O'brien and Donald Trump. Their likenesses are uncanny.

    ReplyDelete