Monday, January 9, 2012

KGO is officially dead; Bronstein; Copeland; Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda; Monday grill

KGO has now officially died. The actual death took place last December 1, but burial was put off until Sunday night when "Taps" was heard. No, they really didn't play Taps, but they might as well placed a hearse in front of the studios along the Embarcadero.

Two numb nuts, (one before Karel--don't get me started), and a sports guy, following him was the final nail in the coffin. Their names are irrelevant, much like the new KGO, whose death was instigated by the evil Cumulus.

This is terrible news for the Bay Area and the industry in general; one only hopes the horrid "810" will flop so furiously and fast, that even the boobs who still listen to this wasteland will go elsewhere before Cumulus sells its SF garbage factory. Goodbye, KGO Radio.

*Phil Bronstein, the "Editor-at-large" for the Chronicle, left the Hearst paper, (and SFGate), last Friday, leaving a void in Bay Area journalism. He's going over to the Center for Investigative Reporting. His departure further clouds the future of the Chron and only invites more questions about its long-term sustainability. With Hearst and its deep pockets, one would assume the paper, (and for sure, its website) are still safe, despite losing globs of money.

Bronstein had quite a few enemies, (mostly, Clint Reilly) who long shunned his strong control, but his work at the Examiner, (covering the Philippines revolution and almost garnering a Pulitzer), was in my book, some of the finest work in SF-area journalism.

*Dear Brian Copeland: If you want to spread some BS and personal crap about me, at least do it here or man up and confront me. Talking about me on Internet chat groups speaks volumes about you and your lack of tact. It also only reinforces your plenty of skeletons, Dopie; if you want to go personal, I have enough personal girth on you to fill a 7Live garbage can. By the way, yes, I did want to do your show back well over a year and a half ago before when at least 30 people were watching as opposed to the 14 women from Burlingame with beehive hairdos. You never tell your chat-rooms groupies that you called me to ask how I could get you Rachel Maddow's contact people, because Brian, as you said to me, "I really want to do that show." I gave you the info and you disappeared. Surprise. Like I said, Dopie, if you really want to go personal, careful what you wish for. Say hi to the mattress man, Mr. "Not a genuinely funny man." PS: How's that HBO movie you've been promising us for seven years, coming along?

*Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda are the BEST PBP guys in the Bay Area. Ken Korach, Ted Robinson, and Jon Miller are in that class, but Hahn and Remenda are a step above. The ratings for the San Jose Sharks are great because Randy is a total pro with Remenda, who has the balls to rip the home team if it is merited. How refreshing to watch and see these good guys do their thing. Way to go guys, on the Comcast numbers.

*Anne Macovec, KPIX super-reporter. Please, CBS-SF, don't mess with her. Let her do her thing--she's good.

*Pray for Gene Burns.

*Follow me on Twitter

20 comments:

  1. but Rich ...bc is an important supplier to so many!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went from Dr. Bill, to paranormal Jose to a loud Monty in less than a month. What's next? P-Conn doing politics!? The whole thing is crazy. I am sure Mel Baker will pipe in to defend those two disastrous hosts you referenced. It is now official: Copie vs Rich L will only be settled with a wrestling cage match.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seemed to me-and I would post that here even two years ago,Bronstein was going through the motions at the Chron. It had (has) a disinterest about it that sure didn't fit what people had thought of Bronstein.

    KGO? just a repeat of the KNBR into stooges compared to its golden age. Frank Dill down to Peter Pan Radnich as its shiny star.
    He's now putting on to Kate Scott the very same and exact thinking he put on Dibley. Example? Kate Scott he says-as soon as the show is over,"Tells me you were right"-hows that for a bloated ago?..or that he made Kate Scott-the old tired chestnut,and that he "knows her". I'm sure he loves her is soon,if not already been said.ALL,the very same bits he used on Dibley-as heartfelt sincere.
    Now, at thegame,Dibley says he couldn't wait to leave the Radnich show..and Raddy the tyrant,etc.

    Its boring to listen to Radnich invent his world..but he's got that show by the horns now..laugh at his jokes Larry,Kate, or else end up in the cornfield along with the jack in the box head..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whole heartedly agree on Randy and Drew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love him or hate him it is obvious people still listen, and that's all they care about...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rich, you keep saying "Pray for Gene Burns". This has an ominous ring to it that makes me extremely uncomfortable. I don't pray, but I will for GB.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rich, thanks for listening to KGONE so I don't have to. "Mad As Hell" is now "Over It." I've listened for a few minutes here and there out of curiosity. I'm sure those SweetJack commercials are driving people up the wall, woof-woof.

    I've also stopped tuning into KNBR, unless it's a live sporting event. DBruce is the only one I really miss, and I wish him all the success in the world, but I've moved on. It's a business, and I do not patronize any business that craps on me, my family, and my community.

    (Serous question to commenters: Do people really like Ralph and Mr. T? I just can't stand listening to them. They never seem to take many calls, and act like they know everything. Brooks and that other guy, I can't stand them, either. I just don't get it.... why wouldn't DBruce be on the 680AM instead any one of them? Thanks.)

    Bonus: I've not heard that creepy pedophile pitching Cars for Kids in over a month!

    I'm actually grateful that this mess happened because I've found programming that I truly enjoy, and they don't bury you with commercials like KGONE. Watching/listening to the Stephanie Miller Show at 6AM on Ustream cracks me up! It takes awhile to get used to the amped up pace, but now I'm hooked! (note: sexy liberal Miller was moved to a tape delay at 7pm on 680AM to make room for Glenn Beck? *cough*)


    Oh, and in a previous post you apologized for getting something wrong. No worries. Our traditional bought and paid for corporate media simply ignores (my) requests for retractions of misinformation that is of far greater significance to our greater community than the topics you cover (see: San Jose Mercury News). I have respect for anyone who admits when they've made a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who was ("numb nuts")on before Karel?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, prayers for Gene! Prayers for EVERYONE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How about some compliments? Like,what Grace Lee's valley girl vocals take away-that perfect face more then makes up for. Just impossibly smooth skin. Great DNA.
    Erica Kato,on KRON-since she joined the plunging neckline kron klub..you look forwards to her no frills weather.And she seems very nice.
    Or-I like the ex Hippy dippy weatherman on ch5 weekends..like the nice college professor..who went home to smoke weed. Seems trust worthy to me.
    Another-the blonde on ch7 who does the same occupy story's as the angry Lara,only not in anger. She's been around awhile too. Carol Ivy like.
    More later..being nice feels good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And my Radnich show watching-mostly because its easy to see on Comcast,is a fraction of what it was. I can only be so bored for so long. Its zero minutes for the rest of KNBR. Thegame may wear out too-what doesn't? But for now they and occasional D.Bruce is what I hear on the sports radio.
    I sure miss the Christmas songs..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can agree about Remenda but Hahn is not even close to being a top level PBP person. He is such a 'homer' and makes a lot of mistakes calling the game. Try listening to Bob Miller from the Kings and you'll know what I'm talking about. I'm a Sharks fan just not a fan of Hahn and his ego.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This Monty guy is just way too loud and tough to listen too. Could barely tolerate him on KNBR, and is an awful fit for KGO. His show will replaced by canned syndicated crap soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a huge Sharks fan, wish I could afford going to more games but only about 4 or 5 are in the budget.I agree Remenda and Hahn are great. Kind of surprise they have high rating, I watch every game but not sure what the Bay area interest in the Sharks other then the 17,500 that go to tthe game.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Said it before here but since 252 wonders-the Sharks fans are the bay area's 21st century version of wine sippers. The high incomes is why such a small minor league sport dominates Comcast SN out of all proportion for time.

    Only Hockey still has players who taunt the mixed race players to boot. And not many of them too taunt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Couldn't agree with you more about Randy Hahn and Drew. I'm not a huge hockey fan, but will watch the Sharks because that duo is so entertaining and knowledgable, and really gets you to enjoy the sport of hockey.

    It's another example of how lucky we in the bay area are to have some top-notch announcers. Think of the guys we've had: Russ, Lon and Bill King. Hank Greenwald and Jon Miller. Greg Papa and Ken Korach. Ted Robinson, Kruk and Kuip, Flem
    (who's just getting started) and remember Don Klein, Bob Fouts and Bud Foster?

    We've been spoiled! The only thing we need now is a good basketball play by play announcer.
    We really haven't had one, (outside of Papa), since Bill King left the scene, although I prefer Tim Roye on radio over Fitz on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love Tim Roye! real, good, cool.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Why all the p.s.a. ad on cumulus nowdays?

    ReplyDelete
  19. KGO was not worth saving, nor was the egomaniacal Bronstein, who should have never been allowed in management. (Good reporter, tho). And why has it taken you and others so long to see how worthless Mattress Man Ronn is?

    ReplyDelete
  20. 6:55...The real KGO could eat you for lunch, and still be hungry..Similarly..so can Phil Bronstein.

    ReplyDelete