Thursday, May 26, 2011

John Kessler and the NBC Bay Area gig; Bruised egos overtakes common sense?; Thursday Pulse

I'm going to be up front.

I'm a big John Kessler fan. I'm biased. We're friends.

I've been monitoring his career path since he was let go at KPIX last October. Other media outlets have also been interested.

I got an e-mail from Kessler the other day informing me that he landed a gig at NBC Bay Area, (KNTV.) While maintaining that the specifics of the new job wasn't known, he indicated that both he and the station were talking.

I asked if I could quote him and break the story. After much nudging from me, he agreed. Later in the day, he posted the news on his Facebook page.

Now comes word that some of the station anchors and news brass were not happy with Kessler's promo and have decided to "reassess" his employment. My first reaction was I thought it was a joke. Seriously, what's up with this? I mean, without knowing the full inner details on the deal, a simple promo on Facebook and Linkedin and you reassess a deal? That's sort of lame if you ask me.

OK, so a little protocol break. What's the big deal? Are egos overtaking simple business matters down in San Jose? I hope not.

I feel bad for John. He's a dedicated worker and a damn talented newsman. I'm the guy who urged him to go on the record. He was kind enough to give me the exclusive. Do I feel awkward? Yeah, a bit, but I'm not sorry. I'm sorry that people who I like and respect have decided that bruised egos are more important than sound business ideas.

NBC Bay Area, I hope, will "reassess" its re-assessment of the Kessler hiring. After all, you're looking to spike the numbers and Kessler is a proven commodity. He didn't change the game, dramatically, over at PIX, but he's immensely popular with Bay Area viewers, most notably women in the A25-54 demo, take note of that.

That's why you hired him in the first place, right? Common sense please.

*Follow me on Twitter

13 comments:

  1. NBC? Pay attention... this man knows what he is talking about. I am 41 and grew up watching KPIX in the mornings. I quit when John was "let go" in October and haven't watched their morning news since.

    Yes, I loved waking up to him that much. My husband too. Yes, a reassessment of your reassessing would be a wise business decision. I should also state we were ready to change the channel to your station as soon as Mr. Kessler came on board. Until then? No.

    I also know we are not alone in appreciating this stellar man's style. Don't let this fish get away, NBC. He's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reasses all you want, Kessler will NOT make a difference. I am going to pound it home just as much as Mr. Media puts forth his claim that Kessler has a big draw. 'He didn't change the game, dramatically, over at PIX' yeah, you got that partially correct. He didn't change the game at all. Numbers dwindled. Kessler, along with all of the current morning news anchors in their current form, are all interchangable. If he was so immensely popular with Bay Area viewers, please, Mr. Media, explain why the PIX morning show numbers were so bad? One person on the scale of Kessler does not make a newscast and will not get people to watch. Take note of that. I appreciate your forwardness in detailing your friendship and bias. I hope your friendsship can withstand possibly you costing him a job. His and your actions should not impact NBC's decision, that is just their stupidity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kessler screwed up. It wasn't his place to announce he was joining KNTV... it was the station who hired him...not only did Kessler screw up.. he screwed up on a blog (Mr. Lieberman), on LinkedIn and on Facebook.

    You can't spell reassess without a$$

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big John Kessler fan here. Maybe this is a sign - he is better off NOT going to NBC. Let's hope a better news organization jumps on this and signs him, while NBC Bay Area continues to "reassess."

    ReplyDelete
  5. All this lineup changes through the media?..its almost depresssing to see a Radnich and a Jessica Aguirre look glum on TV. Jessica's black dress and unhappy look was like watching a funeral. WHY did she have to mess with her damn lips?? why?? They were perfect! I don't gettit...
    And Radnich better find a funny bone in Kate,because she was as dull as a plastic butter knife yesterday. That "cool blond" works at making men pant at the bar..on sports radio its just plain boring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Letting you announce his Channel 11 gig was dumb. Management there needed time to smooth Aguirre out of the way, put her "on assignment" for a while (Right, on assignment at the unemployment office). Kessler mouthing off makes that a lot more difficult. But whether they decide to still stick with Kessler or not, Aguirre is now dead man walking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since NBC11 wont re access there doesn]t seem to want to end their re accessment of their hiring of Kessler, then I have to re access my re accessment of my accessment of my viwership. Will keep on Watching KGO and KPIX which is a no brainer in the first place!

    Radar

    ReplyDelete
  8. To the naive masses who believed in announcing before assessing the big picture, spend some time reading Sunzi's Art of War or the Seven Strategy Classics or The Prince. You might learn something. # Read, reflect and strategize. # Here is the "Big Picture" lesson: * Assess "the big tangible picture" before deciding anything relevant. & Know the advantages and the disadvantages of each prevailing factor.
    COMPASS RULE: Be methodical by style while displaying subtly in action. ... Sometimes, silence is golden. ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with previous posters. I am a big fan of Kessler but announcing his hiring before it became official was plain stupid. Why jump the gun before things were finalized? Both Lieberman and Kessler come off as a pair of giddy, sophomoric and unprofessional buffoons. I think Rick takes the blame and should apologize to Kessler for blowing this job opportunity. Must you always have to try to be “the first” Rich? I’m certain Kessler will land a job somewhere soon but next time he’s in negotiations he better keep his mouth shut until the station announces the hiring. Most importantly don’t give Lieberman the scoop until it is made official by the prospective employer. On a side note I also agree with a previous poster. I always thought Aguirre was beautiful. What possessed her to destroy her lips is beyond understanding. Hideous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Thought That Janelle Wang was going to Take Jessica Aguirre's place on NBC Bay Area...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rich
    Oh hell, NBC needs Kessler right about now! They are so lonely at the bottom the only way is up. John if NBC bails don't worry, an entire city has done it to them already.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Idiot. Sticking you nose in where it didn't belong and jumping the gun likely cost the guy his job. Take a course on how to be an adult real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope John lands somewhere where he is appreciated, he is awesome and entertaining. I'm a big JK fan and get my fix on Sunday mornings listening to him on the KNBR outdoor show with Craig Hansen. I hope NBC wakes up and hires him and quit being douchebags.

    ReplyDelete