Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I Don't Care What You Think About Me; The State of RL 415 Media; Wednesday wash



As this site grows leaps and bounds, and is being read to the point where several industry people look forward to it, (great) it also brings out the usual suspects, hiding behind their laptops, spewing out predictable insults, (thanks for the hits) and going deep into personal territory.

Fine, I expect that. I wasn't born yesterday. Keep it coming, but try better to at least spell my name right.

Most of you want some real good information about the local media scene that the other outlets aren't privy to; some of you want good, honest dirt: "spill the beans", etc.

There's quite a bit of dirt out there indeed, but as I've said before, I'm not going there unless of course the "dirt" is paramount and affects the livelihood of others.

A. I don't have the money to hire lawyers that inevitably I would need, (even if the information is accurate,) B. there's a difference between gossip and downright falsities that could affect people's professional lives. I'm not going down that avenue...just yet, at least. C. Believe me, if I get something "juicy" and it's newsworthy, I'll post it. I'm not that dumb.

I want to say to you all that my list of sources are increasing and I'm continually deluged by e-mail with a pretty good diet of information. Some of it is rather ordinary and at times, quite interesting and noteworthy. When I use a tip or item from one of my more dependable spies, I'm comfortable that its fairly accurate.

Oh, another thing: Those of you trolls who continue to rip me, the site, what I find so funny is that you make it a point of lampooning me, threatening me, belittling me, the works, yet you and your henchmen continue to read me. I find that rather ironic, but what the hell, its a free country.

The most popular rip job I get usually evolves around my background...To wit: "You never made it in the media biz and those that you take shots at did--you're just jealous and a has-been"..."You're just a third-rate hack and a sad one at that." Oh, and a favorite: "You have no credentials and are an utter bore--the only reason why I read you is to see how low you can go."

My background in media is fairly extensive. I got my first job in radio at age 18 as Sports Director at K-101 in 1981. I covered news and sports for the better part of ten years at ABC Radio and Mutual Broadcasting as a sports/news correspondent in the late 80's. I had several stints with RKO Radio and AP, both in news, sports and entertainment. When Larry King was doing his Mutual Radio show, I was his Bay Area guy. My background speaks for itself. I don't pretend to have the resume of some seasoned veterans, but I've been on the inside and outside of a lot of newsrooms.

You have issues with my cred? Then don't read me. Those of you that are regulars have seen my work and know what I've reported, the stories that I've broken...FIRST. True, I've struck out a few times, but so did Barry Bonds. My work speaks for itself. I wouldn't be picked up by some very prestigious on-line sites if my information wasn't accurate and my opinion didn't count. From time to time, it does.

Truth is, I don't care what you think about me. If I did, I'd cease writing. I'm here to post stories and information, offer material that many of you like to read, and yes, of course, give my very honest, straight-forward OPINION and feelings on various players in this town, and the people and organizations that employ them.

I'm not intimidated by your petty attempts to silence me, spew out personal crap and try to depress me with shots about me, my family, etc. You only embolden me further and that's cool as far as I'm concerned.

A little more: Those of you who are looking for real dirt, again, I'm only going to go there when "the dirt" gets in the way of someones job. There's plenty of sites that dish that shit out and most of it is fiction and a cheap way to attract more hits.

I appreciate the comments and read them, all of them, and always try to accommodate your wishes, but I'm not going to throw crap against the wall just to get attention. I already have that, and I don't want to compromise my sources--I depend on them. I need their trust to get me the information that would normally not make its way into the Bay Area arena.

"Dishing dirt" doesn't necessarily mean bedroom talk. It could be the TV moron who likes to scream and yell at certain bars and eating places; it could be the radio lout who is completely different off the air then he/she is on the air; it could involve anchors and reporters who do things inside the newsroom that make their co-workers squeamish and want to vomit. Frankly, who's phucking who and all that is relatively boring and is no different here than it is in any other market.

MAIL/TIPS: I try to answer all questions: Rich.Lieberman@Gmail.com

NOTE TO READERS: As you can see, I have removed the right side of that pesky archived material so hopefully you can come here easier now on your laptop and/or smartphone.

PAYWALL: In response to several inquires, yes, I'm thinking about a paywall for this site, but it'll be a very nominal charge, ($12 for one year--about a buck a month)--just to cover the cost of my time and energy to get out posts and items on a DAILY basis...and oh, by the way, it'll be voluntary and on the honor system.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER

ADVERTISE ON 415 MEDIA: The ONLY Daily Media Blog in SF and 10,000 daily documented natural views, (reasonable rates)

13 comments:

  1. Rich, I've only been following you for a short time. I find you to be honest, funny, and right on the money, Id pay twelve bucks too read your post....keep pushing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rich, a lot of people like your inside information but, once again, why the anger? Why such invective? Yes there are some jerks in management but they (jerks) can be in the rank-and-file also. For the most part these are just regular folks who don't always have all the answers in a media landscape that has been very fragmented in the last decade. I think it is a shame what happened to a once great station (KRON) but life goes on. I hate how radio has evolved but that has been going on for decades. I now listen to internet radio on Sonos or my iMac. Pandora and other similar services are the answer. The greedy corporations that acquired most major stations will one day find their properties almost worthless. As far as bad management goes, no one in the bay area has experienced the crap that Tribune workers (print and broadcast) had to endure. And, for that matter, why should the Media be immune to the crap that most every other sector is now experiencing?

    BarryOB

    ReplyDelete
  3. for someone that says he doesn't care what people think of him, you seem to be writing that more and more (not a sign that you really don't care), and you're using more space defending yourself and throwing out your credentials....if you really don't care about your critics, shut-up and get back to the media info and dirt most people come to this site to read...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try more humor and less anger and I think your site hits would increase dramatically.

    As for a pay wall.... I don't think so.

    AH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rich, I wish you’d stop acting like a victim. We enjoy reading you but with your recent post you almost sound as thin-skinned as the 9-to-noon guy. You are good at rattling people’s cages in the entertainment industry. Those people are known to be insecure, why else would they be in a profession in which they are paid to attract attention to themselves? You should expect that they are going to fling stuff your way when you rattle them. I wish you’d accept their reactions as part of a day’s work and let it roll off your back. Keep your eyes on the ball. 95% of your readers enjoy what you write. Don’t give in to the attacks of the remaining 5% of insiders and keep dishing man!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure, I'd go for the paywall option. You stay above the dirty personal rumors and concentrate on the stuff that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "the usual suspects, hiding behind their laptops, spewing out predictable insults"


    Sounds like a thin-skinned, rotund, wanna be "media player" that I know of...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't care what you think about me.

    Oh, but you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I don't care what people think of me"...mmm, I don't think so. But clearly, and to your credit, you have struck a chord with this blog, a true inside look at Bay Area media. I think you should stick to what you do best, the dirt. When you wander off into issues of your popularity, supposed counter attacks on you by management, well it just sounds like drama queen stuff. Stay with it, and cool it on the self stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could dupe your entire post for irony, but I suspect you - ahem - wrote this partially to induce comments - and hits.

    I could pick apart your little resume (it looks impressive at first glance, don't it folks?), but shooting you down isn't my aim. OK, just one. Sports Director at K101??? Titles are fun, aren't they?

    You want to be taken seriously? Don't post inane crap like this. Dish the dirt, give your opinions and take the heat. This post makes you look unprofessional to say the least. You have an opportunity here, Rich...Don't blow it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an interesting and invigorating resource, but I have to agree with the opinions that ask you to consider laying off the "the small minded folk are coming after me!" routine...the less you make yourself the news and the show, the more people will dig this site and your opinions...the more you type "I don't care what you say about me" the less this sentiment appears to be accurate...and even a modest subsciption rate will kill traffic and robust exchanges, don't go that route IMHO

    Keep up the good work, and remain steadfast in what you want to do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice censorship there Lieberman...only posting comments you like

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes sir, stop being so sensitive. Herb Caen would have been a lousy read had he spent this much time defending himself. What am I gonna get for my 12 bucks?

    Surprising about the telethon at KGO, I'd say that's a big blow to Ray T. Ray is rightful proud of his hard work there. Hope he tells management where to stuff it.

    ReplyDelete