Saturday, January 22, 2011

Yes, I Rip People, But I Praise Too; Saturday Media Pulse

First off, yes I do rip people. That's sort of the premise here. I praise too, which gets buried in the big picture. And yes, too, more people tend to like the ripping posts as opposed to the "I love you" items.

I don't rip to rip. It's all from the heart for better or worse. There's people who I can't stand personally but do good work and I've said as much. Conversely there's an awful lot of people who are really nice whose work I don't like. Talk about a catch-22.

Friday was a prime example.

Mychael Urban got canned from KNBR. I'm not a huge Urban fan and those of you who read me know what I think of KNBR.

So in this instance, I played reporter and analysis guy. Commentary took a back seat to an actual sports media item. It wasn't the biggest news of the day, but in the local sports scene, it was enough to generate some traction via the blogs, (for the record, thanks in large part to a link from SFGate, I got over 10,000 views.)

Urban will recover from this and besides, he's better on TV, (Comcast SportsNet Bay Area,) than he is on radio anyway.

By the way, I'm not a big Lee Hammer guy either, but I don't have anything against him personally. We've bumped into each other at a 49ers and Sharks game and he said hi and so did I. Like I've always said, it's not personal.

That's not to suggest I'm that way with others. Hey, we're all human. We have our issues and I'm not naive enough to know at times, hell yes, it's personal! I get my share of troll e-mail and comments here. I also know that, in dishing it out, I have to expect to be able to take it myself. On that note too, yes, bring it, by all means, but have the balls to ID yourself if you're going to lob some shots.

I do.

*Follow me on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. But Hammer deserves his ripping and then some. There is nothing to praise him about. He's used nepotism to get his kid a top job,he runs a right wing sports station in the left bay area,etc,etc, the good old boy path. He couldnt care less about the public good,just ratings and money in his pocket.
    A despicable human being and willing "Cumulis janitor" as somebody else described him. He just follows orders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And why bring up his kids hiring? Because Hammer who has hired only all caucasians to host sports shows on KNBR is why the government had to invent equal opportunity hiring,affirmative action. Without that, the Lee Hammer's of the world would keep the doors shut to minoritys everywhere. As it is,Hammer's bigotry has made KNBR an island of discrimination.

    ReplyDelete