Friday, January 7, 2011

Harbaugh Drama dominates Bay Area Sports Media, (Are you Sick of It Yet?)



This is part 2 of Twitter sports journalism at its worst. Don't get me wrong, I find the whole Jim Harbaugh drama highly amusing, until you realize how dumb and stupid it makes the sporting media look.

Tim Kawakami of the SJ Merc has been having a ball. Ditto the national ESPN crowd and Jay Glazer of Fox Sports, who broke the latest story, (via Twitter of course) that Sir Harbaugh is out at Miami.

I have a theory.

I think most of the sports pundits "get off" over all this. Seriously.

Call it the legacy of the Twitter culture. Everyone wants to be first! Damn the "facts", just roll out a quick 140-word "post" on Twittville and, ba ding!, "Jim Harbaugh is meeting with Dolphins owner, Stephen Ross and they're close to a deal!"

Yeah, that lasted about half of Thursday afternoon, which in today's 24/7 news cycle is like a week.

Personally, I'm getting sick of all of it. Then again, I'm just as guilty as the rest and will be in eager participation-mode as to where future mega-millionaire Harbaugh ends up.

They say Stanford. Wait, the 49ers are back in it. Hold that, Denver's making a last-minute pitch. Uh, wait, Peter King of SI says Michigan has offered....

*Speaking of Twitter, you can follow me if you care about humanity

2 comments:

  1. I'm waiting for the Brett Favre like backlash of why doesnt he make up his mind?
    See? its different when its a local player...not a peep from the media of "Greedy Jim", Jim the tease,etc.
    To me,he can take as long as he wants-just like I felt with Favre..so what?..But that media lemmings you mentioned of all agree to bash if one agree's is what I hate also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's coming to the 49ers for that paltry 5.5. mill~
    No more of that Singletary nonsense-PTL! OR Buddah or Alla or even Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny.
    The two+ wasted years on a coach who needs serious therapy is over.

    ReplyDelete