Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Noyes makes Noise for a Purpose; Up Close with ABC7's Investigative Reporter



KGO-TV's relentless Dan Noyes hits the SF Bay Area pavement daily seeking out the truth even when it hurts.

You seem to really like to get into people's faces, (which is good) and have no fear--am I right?
I don’t really enjoy “getting into people’s faces”, Rich.  I’d much rather sit down and do an interview with the subjects of my investigations.  But, when they refuse to face important questions, we have to find them out in public and that’s when the most heated exchanges take place.  Remember -- these are, most often, public officials who have a responsibility to address questions about the misuse of tax dollars, corruption or some other issue of public importance.  I am simply asking questions to which the public deserves answers.

There's some people you call you the "Mike Wallace of the Bay Area" and others who think your an asshole. So, what's the deal?
I guess it depends on whom you ask.  Being on the hot seat in one of my reports must be difficult.  But, I hope in the end, even the subjects will admit I got it right.  I try to treat everyone with respect.  If you actually look at the words I use, there’s nothing inflammatory or improper.  Some people will take offense with me personally, solely because I’m asking the tough questions. 

Investigative reporting in local TV news seems to be a dying breed--you're one of the few guys still at it. Any thoughts about that?
Across the country, we’ve seen it – investigative reporters can be some of the first to go when a station is making cutbacks.  But, I think that’s short-sighted.  With the number of news outlets increasing exponentially, we can all begin to look and sound the same -- covering the same blotter of local news.  Our station management has made a commitment to original, enterprise reporting.  That’s what makes us stand out from the competition.  I feel fortunate to be in this position.

In an era of widespread talent shuffle/turnover, things seem to be fairly steady at KGO. 'Yall pretty happy? We  are.  That’s not to say we haven’t felt the belt-tightening.  Many of us are taking on added responsibilities – I now shoot and edit many of my stories.  There have been weeks where I’ve shot, produced, wrote, voiced and edited stories and then anchored the evening news.  But, when you look at so many families struggling, it’s good to have a job.

What do you think, professionally, about Gavin Newsom-? (not politically) I think Gavin makes the mistake of blaming the messenger too often.  If he doesn’t like a question, it becomes personal – it must be the reporter’s fault.  He would be much better served by taking a breath and answering any question.  He’s a smart guy.

Newsom seems to still have a grudge with you. You ever try to call him and have a beer summit?

Nope, never tried that.  It’s really not important for me to get along personally with the people I cover.  In fact, I think it’s dangerous for reporters to get too close to the newsmakers.  I’ll never back away from any important story because of personal connections.

What's your most favorite professional accomplishment? The Emmys and other awards don’t mean much to me.  I think if you do your job well, someone is bound to acknowledge it.  My greatest accomplishment is the pride my boys take in the job I do – they like when dad “stands up for the little guy” or helps correct an injustice.

Have you ever tried the tuna melt at Grumpy's?

(laughing) Have you been monitoring my lunch choices?  The tuna melt at Grumpy’s is the best – with the potato salad; I also like the veggie burger.

What is it about Dan Noyes that people should know that they don't?


People should know that the most important thing to me is being accurate, getting the story right.  And I appreciate story tips from any source – dan.noyes@abc.com .  People might like to know that I’ve surfed all my life, and still do.  Wetsuits are so good now that even a December day at Ocean Beach is bearable.  It grounds me.

Anybody that you tried to corral but couldn't?
Don’t want to tell you, because I’ll never stop trying. 




**ADVERTISE ON RICH LIEBERMAN 415 MEDIA

4 comments:

  1. Classy guy. A bit too PC for me, but a good newsman nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy Dan's stories. Keep up the good work. I've now gotta try the tuna melt...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've emailed Dan about how much I appreciated his work (specifically some legit questions he was trying to get Newsom to answer) and he responded back right away with a note of thanks. Pretty cool I thought. Everytime I've watched him he has always asked questions that were legit ones that the public wanted answers to. And he has always been respectful. I hope KGO-TV will keep him around for years to come. Thanks Rick for taking the time to interview him and post this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. he's kinda bully, no? I thought he was great until that laguna honda interview...

    ReplyDelete