Tuesday, December 14, 2010

NBC Bay Area: Hire John Kessler for the Morning

Jonathan Mitchell, I'd imagine, is not one of the favorite people in the building down in San Jose at NBC Bay Area, (KNTV.)

Mitchell, the news director from small market Spokane, who heads the local NBC news aff and, according to those in the know, isn't particularly in love with his on-air talent, can make some quick amends by hiring recently departed KPIXer, John Kessler.

It would be a bold move by a station that, frankly, could use a good jolt of on-air energy. And in spite of all the negative talk from industry people and viewers, I actually like a lot of NBC Bay Area's newscasts and its talent, notably Tom Sinkovitz, Jessica Aguirre and Raj Mathai, (I liked Lisa Kim too, but I think she'll land on her feet.)

After his contract wasn't renewed at KPIX, Kessler has been laying low in Pacifica, where he lives and making a few inquiries. While conceding the local market seems set, Kessler said recently to me over lunch that he was confident he might be back on the local scene sometime soon.

NBC Bay Area would be a great spot for Kessler, who is popular and a darn good newsman. How popular? A "Bring back John Kessler" to CBS5 on Facebook page has over 760 members, (mostly females, by the way)

Kessler's wise-cracking personality and on-air demeanor is not for everybody, but he has a keen sense of delivery and would provide NBC with a big name and instant buzz. Obviously, money would be a significant factor, but given Kessler's preference to remain in the Bay Area, I'm fairly certain both sides could work something out.

I'm not certain this type of hire would be exclusively up to Mitchell, but I would urge that the powers that be at NBC Bay Area take a hard look at Kessler. He'd be a terrific addition and embolden the Southbay outlet with an infusion of immediate buzz and a healthy dose of increased viewership.

**Follow me on Twitter

12 comments:

  1. Rich, I think you would be a terrific agent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who could we email at KNTV, about urging them to hire JOhn Kessler?

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO! Kessler would be good in a place where they need a smart-alec who thinks he's funny. Las Vegas, Florida, Seattle, etc. The Bay Area needs QUALITY talent. Remember, he was let go for a reason. (LOW RATINGS!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kessler seems like a nice guy-he hates the bad people and all that,but he has to reel in that forced wit. I remember when he started at KPIX,he was a somber kind of guy...then suddenly after months of that he started cracking jokes,laughing. I clearly remember one time he over did it..and his co anchor just stared at him with no smile. That's when Kessler said "What?, They told me to be more fun!". So,thats what I think explained all that following Letterman inspired humor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't get your love affair with Kessler, he's a nice guy and all, but you way overdid the Bay area's reaction to him leaving KPIX. I will agree KNTV's morning show needs help. their husband wife team belongs in a small market like Salinas, I don't understand why they have lasted so long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was an AVID viewer of NBC's *The Today Show," but when the Affiliate transfer occurred from KRON to KNTV I stopped watching the Today show. Because every half hour I was confronted with the San Jose News Outlet, which I find 3rd rate.

    So Rich, even if KNTV hired Mr. Kessler I still would Not tune in to KNTV's morning show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to like Kessler, but watching him try be witty all the time got old. Looking at her facial expressions, even Sydnie Kohara got tired of it.

    KNTV ought to look at hiring people like Tony Russomanno, Anna Werner, Randy Shandobil, Sue Kwan, and a whole bunch of other people who were either laid-off or forced into retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have an opinion on Kessler but I can tell you categorically that KNTV isn't going to disturb its morning show with the Cannons...certainly not anytime soon. KNTV has been making a big push on that show in the morning with a new branding campaign (probably mandated by 30 Rock since it's an O&O). Bringing on Kessler now at this juncture would be self-destructive as it sabotages all that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's the wrong fit at NBC11. They are too constipated and I don't think his name would boost the ratings. Their reputation is sub-par news. Nobody wants to watch them anyways. And his schtick did get old as others noted. There are plenty of Bay Area newsies out of work, and I must agree, why the love affair with Kessler?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why the love affair with Kessler? Because he's talented, funny and intelligent and has a personality...something the other news stations and some of you DO NOT have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and there is no other that even comes close; it is all really boring boobs left, it is a desert.

      Delete
  11. Why is everyone taling KNTV as if it were NBC Bay Area? Two different stations people.

    ReplyDelete