Monday, August 2, 2010

What I'm trying to do and not do

This whole thing came by accident.

Having worked in this business when it was a lot healthier and (not so healthy,) I've experienced the highs and lows.

Believe me when I say that I know its very scary out there. Truly, I do.

But back to this.

I know that there's a lot of you out there that read this. Thank you. Even to the bad guys too. I would hope that you like to read about media in the SF Bay Area.

I never intended this small space to be a gossip shop. It isn't, or at least that's not the m.o. The truth is there is no m.o.

I try to post pertinent information and opinion on this site. I don't pretend nor in any way say that I'm a "journalist", but "blogger" gives the impression that I just throw out -hit and hope it sticks. I don't. If you have read my material, most of the time, I've gotton it right. A few times, I've screwed up, and for that, I'm sorry, nobody's perfect.

There are those of you who like my info and enjoy this daily run; others, and a few of you, I think I know, that can't stand me and that's fine, as long as it doesn't get personal, I can deal with that, it's part of the gig.

Unfortunately, much of what I cover and post gets personal because it involves people who work in the business. I try not to spew out real bad vitriol, really I go out of my way, but there are times where I do make fun of people, but without any sort of personal agenda, (re: the local independent station with certain weather guessers.)

Right now, I'm at a crossroads, because I don't know whether to continue posting; I've begun to get advertisers, and I'm told that a good many of 'yous read me, even those who'd like to kick my ass and make me watch Ellen re-runs.

I'll gauge the e-mails and try to read the room.

This isn't easy to do, the daily postings and reads and the money is itzy-bitzy, at best. I know there's many of you who like this and look forward to it and I appreciate your loyalty. Even the enemies too because you read, thanks.

Enjoy your day.

7 comments:

  1. Whats wrong with being the 5th largest market in the countrys local TMZ? Ben Fong Torres and Tim Goodman as the observers of local TV and radio?-snooze.
    KRON invites the rips from owners to managment to some on air people. Just look at what they do-how do you ignore that?
    KNBR/ Comcast? Just as they are buying up all the local writers and dangling carrots over the others for the future..who is going to point out the bias they have?
    Hate email? We know local PR and announcers trolled Kawakami's blog..why think they stopped there..or stopped?
    There hasnt been a good local critic since Bill Mann. Who would guess that with so many outlets now-local info could be harder to find?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rich, your blog is needed, How else would I know about the comings, goings and other dirt that's going on in my favorite media market? Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people read you, but people watch New Jersey Shore, too. Doesn't mean it (or you) is any good. You're washed up so it's time to hang it up. Really, you're no critic. A critic reviews and offers thoughtful insight. That is not what you do here. I hope you don't feel bad despite the fact you routinely slander, belittle and embarrass people that actually have real jobs in this incredibly difficult industry. Don't despair, Big Vinny. Maybe Round Table Pizza needs another muse?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rich, keep up to GREAT work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's important that there is independant oversight over this business. I personally find it very valuable from a news perspective to stay on top of what's happening locally in the media through your blog. I would imagine that it's not easy at times, but speaking for myself, I would like for you to continue to provide this service.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the comment above: outside of Rich, there is really nobody in the area to report on the local media since Bill Mann packed up and left for the Pacific Northwest. (I really miss his end-of-the-year "Best and Worst" column of local media column...) I hope you continue with your blog because it's not only informative and enjoyable, but it's also a little nostalgic, which is fun for all of us that grew up around the Bay Area in the 1970's, 80's, and onward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep it up, Rich. You're usually an interesting read. Nothing else in the area seems to cover the same beat.

    ReplyDelete