Wednesday, April 14, 2010

SF Bay Area morning TV: thick on traffic and weather--thin on news; my solution; Wednesday pulse

Did it occur to anyone out there that there's actually news that happens in the morning or is traffic and weather numero uno?

Don't think I'm naive enough to realize that the SF TV market is the only one that emphasizes fender- benders and high-pressure systems over that age-old relic called NEWS, but so what? Does that mean its right? Better yet, what's wrong with a few more sit-downs as opposed to the 15 gazillion "chopper-5" reports over the Bay Bridge?

I've never understood the TV angle here; help me out.

On radio, yes, I can understand "traffic on the 8's" because, well, if there's a big-rig bop on the bridge and I'm at the maze, then its good I know what I'm in for, but at home, even if I'm on my way to the office, chances are by the time I get to my car, the next TV report does me no good. Hello? Am I missing something?

Don't get me wrong, we have some of the best traffic and weather reporters in the biz here, among them, Sal Castaneda at KTVU, Mike Nicco at KGO-TV/ABC7. But the consultants rule the world and we're now reduced to what amounts to virtually news-free, weather-channel-traffic enfuego the entire AM TV news block. Wonderful.

This is annoying to me. This is what they feed us. And yeah, I know that everybody else does it, but does that mean its ok?

Hey, consultants, I have a novel programming concept: anchor reads lead story, then another, and another; how about one or two in-studio guests, a live shot from the fire, and then a, yes, ok, copter shot over the scene, and then back to news? Quick, simple, easy, fast, we know its cloudy outside and there's a pretty good chance of rain, but we don't need it six, seven times an hour; I'm generalizing, of course, but you get my drift.

And here's another thing or two to chew on: what if it worked!! and say the ratings spiked? Damn, I'm a genius!

The formula stuff is so tried and boring. Talent would love it; more air-time, less minutiae. And in this economic climate, it'd be cheaper, (did you hear that, mgt?) and morale would pick up big time, and even better, people, lots of people, may watch more--believe it or not, TV is a visual medium.

They might even, god forbid, stay off Facebook for an extra five minutes and check out the 8: 30 tease!

Tweet that!

5 comments:

  1. Rich,

    I suspect most people do not have the luxury of staying at home and watching 2 hours of morning news.

    I'm no media consultant, but I would guess that the average length of viewing time in the morning is under 30 minutes- while making a cup of coffee, or getting dressed, or getting breakfast for the kids, etc.

    If you are watching all morning, then yes, traffic and weather every 8-10 minutes would get old. But most of us are not watching all morning- we're in and out quickly. If I miss the 5:38am weather report because I'm just turning off the water in the shower, I can catch the next one in 10 minutes as I'm getting dressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. spot on Rich! I swear sometimes they have a quick weather update, then hand it over to traffic, go back for full weather report, and then quick recap of traffic trouble spots.
    Cut to commercial, rinse and repeat!
    And KRON sometimes has one weather person tossing it over to a second weather person!!??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking what Dodger was thinking. Radio is for during the commute but TV is for when you are getting ready for work. Few people sit through the whole morning which is why their news stories are often recycled more than once. And traffic and weather are going to be what most directly affects that commuter unless a local disaster hits. Also, I'm willing to bet weather and traffic are cheaper than sending out more news teams (or individuals as the trend seems to be).

    Formula? Sure. But probably a formula that works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, this type of morning programming is not exclusive to the Bay Area; Sacramento morning shows give you the quickie weather forecast then a few mintues later, the detailed forcast. AUGHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wondered about this myself. Only possible way tv traffic reports are a benefit (in the view of this former traffic reporter) are if someone at home relays the information to someone on the road. Of course drivers will all use hands free devices. No? OR if there is something big that will be ongoing for more than half an hour. Sacramento is worse, but the top banana in this regard has to go to LA shows. Live freeway chases disrupt all programming. Of course one Sacramento station loves the chases so much, they will show them from almost any market. Some seem to be shooting for the Morning Zoo.

    ReplyDelete