Monday, January 10, 2011

Monday Media Round-Up; What's up with KGO's Burns(UPDATE); KNBR's Murphy flubs Name/Gender of Arizona Congresswoman



*I'm getting a lot of e-mail inquiring about the health of KGO Radio's 7-10 PM week night host, Gene Burns. Burns has been noticeably absent from his show of late, but he did do his "Dining Around" show on Saturday. One reader e-mailed that Burns "was a mess." I didn't hear the program. KGO isn't talking, but we will inquire. UPDATE: A tipster advises me that Burns broke his back in early December, (apparently, he told his listeners he had some sort of seizure which caused him to fall and is on pain meds.)


*Way to go, Murph: KNBR "morning man", Brian Murphy, noted that the Stanford basketball game vs. Arizona was postponed due to the Arizona shootings, including one victim, "Congressman, Gabriel Giffords." Actually, Murph, it's "Gabrielle" and I think Ms. Giffords is a woman. Naturally, the other "dudes" in the studio didn't catch it during today's 5 AM hour.

*John Farley, former NBC Bay Area, (KNTV) weather guesser, who was let go in 2009 after thirteen years at the station, has landed a gig in lovely Columbia, South Carolina at WIS-TV as chief meteorologist. We all need to eat.

*The cable schlums and network mutts have all descended into Tucson, Arizona to tell us, inform us, and report what we already know. And really don't care to know. Do take part and watch if you choose to.

*The Bay Area media news directors should take note that a vast majority of the citizens outside the immediate city of SF don't give a shit who, A. is the newest interim mayor, B. what Willie Brown thinks about the guy, C. couldn't name one SF supervisor if their life depended on it, and D. SF politics doesn't play well in Pleasanton or Piedmont. I'm not a news director and even I know that, Mr. consultant.

*That KGO Radio sports guy not named Rich Walcoff has quite an ego. Too bad he doesn't have the talent to match it.

*A well-known Bay Area media TV personality was supposedly quite a show at the company Christmas party. Reports indicate that her rather jocular talk even made some veteran colleagues blush.

*Hands down, the most ANNOYING thing on local radio: KGO's Jennifer Jones-Lee mucho irritating, "IT'S FRIDAY" chirp. I've mentioned this before, but it gets more nauseating. And, yo, KGO, the new jingles? That's the best you could do? And, by the way, nice that you've apparently pissed off super production/promo guy, Mike Amatori with a guy who sounds like he's on xanex. I'm sure that'll get the younger demos.

*More KGO: There was a train wreck on the radio Saturday night. Someone named Spencer Hughes was substituting for Bill Wattenburg, (Saturday/Sunday 10 PM-1 AM). I have no idea who Hughes is, but his "first ever" gig on the radio sounded like some Michael Savage wanna-bee.

Hughes told the 50 or so people listening that "This is my dream since I was 11--to be on KGO" about twenty times. Maybe thirty, I lost track. Reports circulating the area that he was fetched from the Clown Alley on Lombard have not been confirmed.

*Elizabeth Cook, new hire at KPIX/CBS5: the usual formula: young, pretty, and works cheap. Check please.

*I've seen enough of Elizabeth Wenger to conclude that I don't get all the fuss. I also think whole milk is much better that cream.

*Wendy Tokuda: still breathing.

*Zinger that didn't get a lot of attention, but deserves it dept: Last week, KNBR's Bob Fitzgerald was doing a teaser with Gary Radnich for his noon show direct from Orlando, (where the Warriors were playing the Magic.) During the tease, Fitz informed Radnich that Ralph Barbieri attended the Orange Bowl. "Ralph was at the Orange Bowl!?", stated a really, really surprised Radnich. To which Fitz responded: "Yeah Gary, there's actually people who 'go to' sporting events." Dead Silence. Score a hit for Rudy!

*To those who have written to me insinuating that I don't "rip" Raj Mathai of NBC Bay Area or "give a pass" to Comcast SportsNet Bay Area because I have appeared on their shows, you're wrong. I actually "ripped" Mathai a few times before I got to see his work and thought he was good. And Comcast? A pass? Ask Amy G or Mike Urban if I gave them a pass.

Bottom line: I'm on TV because this space is being read. And yes, even those of you that detest me, read this shit.. How do I know? Because I do. (Ego on full-throttle mode)

*Direct quote from Bruce Jenkins of the Chron Sporting Green, last week, on KNBR: "I think its 'disturbing' that Juan Uribe signed with the Dodgers." Huh?

*I also said in this space that nobody says anything remotely worthy on "Chronicle Live", yet I still watch because I love it when Ann Killion says really stupid things, (like, for instance, that it would have been terrible had the 49ers won the pathetic NFC West and participated in the playoffs. Yeah, Ann, that Seattle effort against the Saints was a disgrace.)

*Dan Dibley: why and how? (maybe he has pictures) Ditto: Patrick Conner, Raddy's radio wife.

*A local, prominent consumer reporter is being accused of lifting stories without attributing the initial pub. I'm shocked.

*Jim Harbaugh coverage: about what I expected. Already sick of the story and Harbaugh too, who thinks he's the football Jesus Christ. Prove it on the field and get back to us later.

*Another why and how: Brian Copeland.

*Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

21 comments:

  1. Rich, you talk about the new girl at KPIX, Elizabeth Cook, and how she works cheap; so what will her salary be? Also, since Sydnie Kohara was retained, her visibility as shot upwards, as she is now on through the noon news. What does she make? Is Ken Bastida on the way out too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why would folks in the East Bay care about SF politics?
    Because 350,000 people commute to SF every day, and not all of them from the Northbay or Peninsula.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann Killion is usually one of my favorites..but I caught that about 7-9 in the playoffs and did not agree with her.Instead of complaining, the other NFC West teams should have gone 8-8and plus.
    But she's dead on correct so often I can't complain otherwise.
    And she has purty eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy Tokuda and Steve Fox were the original hosts on KPIX-TV/Westinghouse Evening Magazine debuting in 1976. A key member of that production team was shooter/director/editor Scott Gibbs (1941-2007). Here's a typical production day--documented by Bob Reynolds and Glenn Pensinger--as they tour San Jose's Winchester Mystery House in 1977: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4p6RH78EII
    The following year Scott appears on-camera to describe how he survived a helicopter crash into the Feather River while shooting aerials for another Evening Magazing segment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ox-RjjJHg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of the KNBR gang...who replaces F.P. from 7PM-10PM? Krueger makes a comeback! Dan Dibley gets a shot to redo all of Radnich's material during the day and does reruns at night?

    ReplyDelete
  6. In reply to rwhite's comment above, I believe it was the elegant Jan Yanehiro who co-hosted Evening Magazine in the 1970's, not Wendy Tokuda. Alas, I'm old enough to remember that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for mentioning Spencer Hughes, the guy was horrible. I was able to listen to him for ten minutes max. I turned to KALX after he started boasting about how he can’t be categorized as a conservative because he supports gays in the military.
    He comes across as a blow-hard and a wannabe. Your comparison to Savage is right on. The difference is that Savage has talent and is extremely entertaining. KGO brass, please no more Hughes fill-ins!

    ReplyDelete
  8. DarbyO: thanks for the correction. My apologies to the talented Jan Yanehiro.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And Jenkins? He's full of himself to overflowing. Without a doubt he watches hours of FOX news to shape his world.

    Too many of KNBR's hosts SOUND like they had a seizure and hit their heads on concrete.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "*A well-known Bay Area media TV personality was supposedly quite a show at the company Christmas party. Reports indicate that her rather jocular talk even made some veteran colleagues blush."

    And the point of mentioning this was ...???

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blind Item Razor gets you thinking. Rich, I enjoy your blog and like hoyou brought it on this post. This is when you are at your best.

    I was one of those that wrote in "insinuating"

    Amy G. and Urban deserve to be ripped but you made my point for me: How could you rip Mathai BEFORE seeing his work?

    Again, keep up the great work. By the way, I don't "detest" you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm betting Darya cuts it loose at partys..and a couple of drinks makes her more naughty than nice...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to see Eric Byrnes replace FP Santangelo. He has a better sense of humor than FP. I'm glad to see FP moving up the ladder. I can also see why he was fired from his gig at KHTK in Sactown. He made the other guys look like the amateurs they are. Congrats, FP!!! I will miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been only reading your blog for a short time, and I'm gathering you're kind of a hater.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree 100% Elizabeth Wenger is not much to a) look at 2) not much to look at and c) not much to look at. The fill in (Gianna?) is pudgy and looks like she is about 18. Maybe PIX is hiring their interns too a=la KRON? Get rid of Wenger and Gianna. And don't go hiring someone like Rask on KRON. He is SF's tele-TUBBY!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Too bad you don't have a real job, so some twit can critique your work. Oh yeah, that's right, you have NO talent so you sit at your keyboard and take shots at people who are gainfully employed. In the case of Raj, you took shots before you ever saw his work? Do you even proof your own copy before you post it? It's quite transparent. Those who shine you on get critiqued (some, relentlessly, like Gary Radnich)...and those who tolerate you get heaps of praise. How dull.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am new to your blog, and I quite enjoy your insight and perspective, Rich. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rich is not a hater, I think he offers very good perspectives and is balanced. I agree with him in regards to Jennifer Jones-Lee, she is very detrimental to the morning news. I can tell in recent times she tries to ask tough questions of politicians but she’s not very good at it. How did she get this job? Why does management think a “bubbly”, “effervescent” and air-head sounding chick in the morning is necessary? I now choose to listen to Al-Jazeera news and Amy Goodman on KPFA instead of KGO in the morning. Hell, even NPR is much better!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Eric(David Lee Roth) Byrnes??? that must be his mother wanting him to host.
    He would be the ultimate dumbing down of KNBR..just as you think it couldnt be worse,you think of him.
    Just last week the dummy spent an hour defending Alex Smith. Lee Hammer couldnt possibly be that stupid...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Proof right here that if you post enough bullshit, someone will think you actually know what you're talking about. Personal taste is one thing, but throwing yourself out there as an "expert" on Bay Area Radio/TV is fairly vomit-inducing. Lieberman is a "never was", but kisses enough ass to keep his tenuous grasp on some sort of career. Sorta like Bill Mann with better hats.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey. Where's the "thumbs up" button for the above comment?

    ReplyDelete