Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Joe Hughes Putrid KCBS Sports; Is Wonderley Interested?; Flemming Vanilla on Giants PBP; Martin Bored (Still) on PIX; Wednesday Widgets

Good god, where does KCBS find these sports anchors? Joe Hughes is one of the fill-in anchors working morning drive on the all-news radio outlets; let's hope he's but that and Ted Ramey gets the gig. Hughes is putrid. His oatmeal voice and lightweight demeanor is a major dud. Hughes last worked for KNBR as an update guy. I'm not sure how he landed at KCBS other than CBS needs bodies and are hard to come by. Here's hoping Ted Ramey is named permanent sports anchor and I think he will be.

*Meanwhile, it sounds obvious: Traffic anchor, Kim Wonderley, is not her usual self taking tosses from someone other than retired Stan Bunger. Wonderley has been anchoring traffic for decades on Bay Area radio, KCBS and the old KNBR. Her delivery is still good and she obviously knows her stuff but she sounds sort of aloof now, as if a longtime friend left her. I'm not losing sleep over this but I thought I'd mention it.

*Of course, yes, Ted Robinson is off to Japan to do the Olympics (does anyone care about the Tokyo Games?) --I mentioned Robinson as a good fill-in in for Giants games, but for a week or so, not the long period some of you talked to me --Robinson's ego is not as big as other star play-byplay broadcasters so a few games would be fine but a good idea is just that, an idea.

*Don't get me wrong, as a second-tier guy, Dave Flemming is fine but I think overall, the guy is vastly overrated. Flemming's milquetoast play-by-play and analysis is avearge. He says nothing and when he tries to say something, he fails. It's rather sad this area, which boasted legacy announcers, is filled with standard-brand guys like Flemming and Hughes.

*By the way, I feel the same about A's post-game host, Chris Townsend, a perfectly fine wonder bread tonsil but beyond that? Ouch.

*The other day I saw an old 70's Ford LTD parked by the ballpark with one of those side searchlights--I immediately looked around and saw the ghost of Karl Malden and thought Michael Douglas was somewhere in sight. "A QUINN MARTIN PRODUCTION!"

*KTVU will soon tell its anchors and reporters to get outta the house and report to its Jack London Square studios in case you care and I know you do.

*KRON is supposed to be quite chirpy with their new GM but to me, it still looks and smells like the old KRON so those of you that love patio furniture ads and 5000 weather boards and an absurdly out-of-place, out-of-control, Darya, rejoice, your KRON4 experience is still active.

*Speaking of KRON, Pam Moore is back but she looks and sounds kind of tired. Just me, maybe.

*And Allen Martin still looking like he's just plain bored and not interested. What else is new.

9 comments:

  1. > Pam Moore is back but she looks and sounds
    > kind of tired. Just me, maybe.

    Haven't seen Pam lately, but she's looked and sounded kind of tired for at least five years now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry Tannenbaum-WahlJuly 7, 2021 at 5:39 PM

      Wasn’t Ted Robinson fired from covering the 49ers? Just thought I’d mention that.

      Delete
  2. I got a laugh out of the '70s Ford entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't understand the Flemming bashing. I understand you long for Bill King and Lon Simmons returning from their graves. I grew up with them, too. They were great. Flemmings not them, but he doesn't suck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with 1:15. I think Flemming's biggest "flaw" is having a perfectly stereotypical radio announcer voice. Makes him sound slicker than some other announcers. But the job he does describing the action is pretty damn good IMHO.

      Delete
  4. Hughes is hot garbage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I worked at Q.M. Productions and it was a blast! Got to meet the main stars, even that duffus Hatch who replace Michael who went on to bigger and better things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your criticism of Fleming might have rung true when he was a young broadcaster, but currently he is at the top of his game. He is a very good multi-sport announcer, and one of the top voices in baseball.

    ReplyDelete