Saturday, August 4, 2018

Grumpy, Mean, Crusty, Angry 'Dr Bill' And Darn Good Radio; Remembering Bill Wattenburg on KGO Radio and 'The Open Line To The West Coast'; Saturday Remembrance


Image result for Dr. Bill Wattenburg KGO 

 "DR. BILL" --"The Open Line to The West Coast"; who could forget those lines? If you listened to vintage KGO Radio Saturday and Sunday Night from 10-1AM, you surely did not.

Bill Wattenburg passed away on Thursday night; he'd battled cancer and seemed to have beaten it but a recurrence took place a few months ago and he finally succumbed.

Bummer. 

Yes, Wattenburg was mean occasionally; crusty; cranky; perpetually pissed off; a certified "get off my lawn" grumpy old guy but guess what? He was genuine. It made for great radio. That may sound odd but those of you that listened (and a whole lot of you did) get my drift.

Wattenburg wasn't shtick. It was all real and authentic even if at times he was mean and cruel which he often was and that's no knock. He knew a hell of a lot about certain things and seemed to be way out front on identifying problems that, he said, would bite us in the ass, (so to speak) and he was right in the end. He embraced reality even if it was depressing. There was no sugar-coating. Never.

I had issues with his chronic on-air rantings referring to the Sierra Club as "eco-frauds" but he was right, most of the time. He was way out front, as a reader suggested, on the forest fire problems plaguing the state. He argued time and time again the need to de-forest trees in the high country because they would eventually become the extra fuel for forest fires. We now know he was right.

He was adamant that BART didn't build enough trains for its growing ridership and that it needed to upgrade its infrastructure or it would become useless at a time when the Bay Area was growing and needed a reliable, able mass transit system. He was right on this subject too.

There were other things but his radio broadcast was unique. It reeked of authenticity even if the host was a pain in the ass. For all his irritations and grunting, he was endearing too; go figure. He'd take great pleasure and joy talking to an eight-grade student on the air about a homework assignment--usually it involved a science question and Dr. Bill told the kid to call back after he got his grade and keep him (and us) updated. You could hear the joy in his voice because he loved kids calling him on the radio.

He was not so warm and fuzzy with callers he deemed irrational and irritating; typical Dr Bill to "Jeff in Berkeley, UC grad" --"Hey, get off your ass and quit smoking that green stuff and holding yourself!" -- then in an instant, "Bob in Union City, you're on 'KGO."

Hysterical laughter. Radio magic in the late night on the old KGO. Sure, yes, again, he was mean and nasty but it made for a highly entertaining back and forth. Many screamed at their radio and called him an ass on the air and he took umbrage and usually, quickly, hit the cut button. The bastard. Oh, but damn did it work. At least for me. And you all too, admit it, you were hooked even if you thought the guy was a jerk. It worked. It was real. Not an ounce of phoniness or make-believe --true, sincere, and honest to the core.

And who else could score Clint Eastwood live from Carmel on a Sunday night? Only Wattenburg. They were buddies and he (Bill) made a few cameos in Dirty Harry movies --my favorite, "Dead Pool."

So I'll miss Dr. Bill. I wasn't always enthralled with his boobism and dour outlook on life but wholly, molly, could the guy do some funny, terrific, intelligent radio and in the end that's the only thing that counted.


Image result for dr bill wattenburg kgo radio





34 comments:

  1. Read "get off my lawn" grumpy, then read Clint Eastwood live in Carmel. Great post, Rich! You said it all about Dr. Bill! No wonder Eastwood was a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. though someone called ben Wattenberg '' a flatulent asshole''.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this write up. A genuine man. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "David, i can't help you other than giving you the facts!"

    classic Wattenberg!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not my cup of tea but he did great radio. Reminds me of my late father-in-law who would rant and rave about that "damn Bernie Ward" and turn the radio off. He would turn the radio off and on numerous times 5 nights a week. Nobody at KGO now elicits that type of passion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I called and asked one night "What happens to spaceman if accidently drifts off forever into space?"

    Dr. Bill got real angry, and almost cussed me out, then he hung-up on me live on the air.

    I felt like I was in heaven!

    I learned how to make a bridge out of an old railroad car. but never got to put it to use.
    Thanks Dr.Bill for the great radio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bridge made of a flat railroad car was one of Bill's best.

      Delete
  7. Eastwood was more than a fan. He was a great and long time friend. Once saw him and Bill walking through the Channel 7 newsroom. Both tall. Both engrossed in conversation. They were unaware of everyone staring at them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for writing this and for listing so many of Dr. Bill's great traits. He kept me sane many nights driving home to the South Bay after producing the weekend news at KTVU.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He was a brilliant guy, knew a LOT about science
    ! But didn't mince words, he told it like it was and of course many were insulted. We need more on KGO like he was. But KGO now is "gone." Loved listening to the great variety of talk hosts back then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I honestly don't think I've listened to KGO since Dr. Bill was sent packing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do ya think KGO would have the brains to run "The Best of Dr. Bill" on weekend nights?

    Nawwwwwwww

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dr.Bill and the rest of the KGO talent kept me company traveling I5 to S. Cal and Oregon for decades. I still miss them.

    Dave Peden
    Florence OR

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sad to hear of his passing. Him, and Gene Burns, of the old KGO, both honest gentlemen, who would listen, be honest, weren't extremely partisan, and when I didn't agree, I always respected their opinion. I miss them both and that old KGO. Both kind of reminded me of my dad. I wish we had more guys like that on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hard to believe I heard 8 minutes of radio without a commercial

    ReplyDelete
  15. He was the best...especially when talking with children and encouraging them to continue to ask questions and be inquisitive...miss you Dr Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to engineer his show. The one image that stays with me is looking through the glass, lights low and cigarette smoke wafting through the low light. A master broadcaster, a curmudgeon, grumpy and funny as all hell.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Worked with the guy on radio. Lived nearby in Walnut Creek. Smart. Polarizing. Made some enemies in the neighborhood- but no one was better on that late night shift.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was always entertained on my late night weekend drives listening to Dr. Bill. He's already been missed and will continue to be missed. Lamented Radio is all that we have left.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I so enjoyed his show and it is definitely missed in today's radio. You covered many of the reasons I loved listening to him and I always learned something. I am sad to hear of his passing. Was still holding out hope that we would continue to get a chance to hear him once in a while. I too wish they would consider airing some of his previous shows. They would be so much better than anything else one might hear on the radio these days! RIP Dr. Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great radio, how I miss it. RIP Bill. My Sunday nights haven't been the same sense 2011 when 810 flushed itself down the tiolet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. His rants on the California Air Resources Board were legendary as was his usually weekly joke about not wasting money on fuel additives - "you take the money you'd spend on that, buy your lady some flowers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He also said there's not a big difference in generic batteries and pricier ones. Wrong!

      Delete
  22. Curious to hear what you think of Copie's kids still working at Cumulus. Apparently all 3 of them work there. You said they got the job because of their dad but they're all there now and they dad isn't. I heard Copeland's son on KNBR and he's great. His daughter is mentioned on the air as a producer for KGO on a daily basis too. Would love to hear your thoughts and analysis of this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wasn't a huge fan, he was quite a blowhard, but his show was better than 80% of the crap they have on now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am tired of people qualifying everything "I didn't agree with this and that and that thing" Who cares? Nobody. That's why he was there, he had a huge listening base. Find a host that you agree with most of the time, and I promise you it's some Democrat, jag off. He was one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he was so good, how come they dumped his show? Ron stayed, why not him? His ratings were sinking like most of KGO and was paid too much.

      Delete
  25. Here some pushback radio clips. Remember Andy the Cowboy (who found love) and that young woman Louise? Louise the stalker. http://www.pushback.com/Wattenburg/radio/RadioClips.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Remember in the Dead Pool Clint had him blown up. Now that's a friend

    ReplyDelete
  27. I remember every year he used to get a call from some cowboy out in Nevada. Don't remember the details but was a real gem.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Whoops, just saw someone addressed the EXACT same topic 2 posts above: "Andy the Cowboy". Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. While I didn't care much for Dr. Bill's politics, I did like it when he talked science. I remember a few debates we had in an online forum and a couple of times on the air. KGO wasn't the same when they fired Dr. Bill, Ray Taliaferro, Gene Burns and others on that terrible day.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I listened to him for years. He was really interesting . I remember the kids, Andy the cowboy, his rants at the Sierra Club and environmentalists and the day KGO fired them all! I haven't listened to the station since!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bill Wattenburg was my absolute favorite talk show host and there will never be anyone to replace him. Approx 160 of his shows are available online IF you know how to search archive.org's site. If anyone's interested in trading shows they have as podcasts which can no longer be found even on archive.org, please email me steve at vwebr dot net. I would like to assemble a collection of many hundreds of his shows. His wit and wisdom is worth preserving. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete