Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Flash: Former KRON Commentator Wayne Shannon Dead at 62



Wayne Shannon, a commentator for KRON-TV in the late 1980's known for his acerbic wit and biting essays, has died. Shannon was 62.

 His death was confirmed to me by his son, Chris Schetzle. Cause of death is unknown, pending an autopsy. Shannon had been living in rural Washington State. A public service is planned for the weekend of May 19 in Eugene, Oregon.

Shannon's "Just for You" commentaries were an integral part of KRON's newscasts in the late 1980's. After six years in San Francisco, Shannon left KRON and began working for CNBC. There, he also did political and news commentary before moving back to Washington State.

 ...Developing RL 415 Media Exclusive

*Follow me on Twitter

10 comments:

  1. Much too young to die. RIP and condolensces to the family. As a young boy I used to watch Mr. Shannon's commentary on KRON.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ..... worked with Wayne a lot when I was a KGO reporter. He was a great guy. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad...I enjoyed his commentaries and the fact he was not another cookie cutter looking talking head. R.I.P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wayne wasn't that much older then me. A warning since I saw my drop dead gorgeous young female Dr. today that said that my Cholesterol was sky high. Somehow my BP was normal...but I got's to lose weight,do some exercise. I doubt Wayne was a work out guy...ALL baby boomers feel immortal. WE just may be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang in there....I am not overweight and yet my doctor said my bad cholesterol is high. Just google to find out what to do to fix everything!!!

      Delete
  5. Very sad news. he was unique in the world of TV commentators in that he found the inane in his subject matter and tried to expose it. I worked at KRON from, l1984 to 1990 producing Mark Thompson's weather shows and got to know Wayne very well. My self and the late Dick Murdock published many of his best commentaries in a paperback "What it All Means" While it is Out of Print, I still have copies available. You can contact me at: weather@community.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Came across an interview/video from Idaho TV, Aug 2011. "Lewiston man afraid of what he may see on Memorial Wall". Is this the man himself, on TV one last time? Anyone remember seeing him entertain the troops in the 70's?

    http://www.klewtv.com/news/local/127697423.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is, indeed, Wayne. That is one unmistakable voice. Tha saddest of news.

      Delete
  7. There's also a memorial service next Tuesday in Lewiston, Idaho.

    http://www.krem.com/news/local/Man-found-dead-near-Grangeville-was-a-former-television-journalist-150094265.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. My grandmother recently died at the age of 91. She always would say - "Always take care of yourself, no one else is going to do it for you"

    ReplyDelete