Monday, December 5, 2011

KGO Upheaval the Talk of the Industry and Beyond; Advertisers leave, Listeners vent; Monday PM post

Upheaval? Yes. Revolt. Indeed. Anger? To the 10th power.

The KGO Radio mass firings by Cumulus has struck a major chord not only locally, but beyond. And it's not just industry chatter and water cooler talk. Its reached way, way beyond that element. It has taken on a life of its own.

Need proof?

I did four radio interviews on Monday, from Santa Rosa to San Luis Obispo. My e-mail has gone through the roof. This is not to boast, and as you know, I love boasting. People, most of whom work outside the radio biz are still steaming. Everyone wants to know what to do, how to get even, anything possible short of mass rioting outside KGO studios.

A few things to dish out....First off, I'm not in the business of organizing events. That's for all you guys to decipher. As I have said repeatedly, I sympathise with all of you who are outraged over what happened, not so much what went down, (although that was bad enough), more so the manner in which it was handled.

I'd been critical of KGO and wrote extensive pieces that management needed to do something. Indeed, KGO had lost significant market share and listeners, particularly the ones who buy coke and go to the movies, the so-called coveted A25-54 demo that listen to IPods and MP3 players. Nobody disputed a change was in order. But to the extent that took place last Thursday? No. I mean, essentially, instead of euthanizing the critter, Cumulus took the dog into the backyard and shot it in the head. No tweaking, screw seasoning and hiring young, seasoned, fresh voices, let's just blow this building up and start over.

Which they did. But the airwaves are not like a furniture store. And KGO, even modern 4.0/Internet/Ipod/IPhone KGO was nirvana to many demos, from the 30-something crowd to the AARP people. Sure, they were regressing. From the moment Mickey Luckoff and Jack Swanson left the scene, the end was near. Everybody knew it, even most of the hosts who were shown the door. Change was coming, but certainly not in the manner of Thursday's massacre.

And the listeners are still stunned. Anger, resentment, all of the above. Is it resonating? Try this: Three big advertisers have ceased their accounts, including C-Crane Radio, Just Remnants, and Burgermeister. Rumors abound that more companies are considering pulling their money away from KGO too. Folks, you start messing with the cookie jar and believe me, they begin to notice. That's when management calls meetings and "considers all options." I'm in no way suggesting that the suits are suddenly going to wave the peace flag, but truly, maybe they underestimated the reaction. Wait a minute! I know for a fact that they didn't expect this.

Twitter has exploded with all of this and on Facebook, everywhere you go, this is the talk of the town. You may think I'm being dramatic. Check my cell-phone bill then. I've kept all e-mails. I'd say it's about 90% anti-KGO. Even dopey Copeland was unable to quell the situation on Monday filling in for the mattress guy.

Oh, about Ronn. How do some of his colleagues feel? The same way I felt and then some. out of respect, I won't mention their names, but yeah, some felt as if they were thrown under the bus. I'm being diplomatic. Trust me, some people are pissed. And just wait until I tell you what I have been told not to tell, just yet. (But I swear, I will. Be patient).

YOU GUYS ARE BEING HEARD: OK? They didn't figure this was going to be a big deal. They still think of most of 'yous as fools. They have ZERO regard of your feelings. And yeah, they really don't give a rat's ass about Gene Burns, just to name one person.

I'm not a KGO apologist, but I remember the days when they ruled the land. Even at their worst, they still were a part of the conversation in this area. A little tinkering here and there, a complete overhaul of the news department and such would have made much more sense, but sense ain't now virtue with the Dickey brothers and Cumulus. Cumulus is hell and all the other rotten things that take place in Atlanta. (And we haven't even talked about the BK, but we will soon).

This story is far from over. I have a lot to tell you guys and eventually I will. I've spoken to many people, including those directly affected. There are wheels in motion and the future is still fluid. In due time, I will tell you things that you may like. At the least, this spot continues to be a forum for you all to vent. That's OK, it's good to get it all out.

Check back periodically here at 415 Media where you'll get any breaking news FIRST.

*Follow me on Twitter

*ADVERTISE ON RICH LIEBERMAN 415 MEDIA!

*E-MAIL/TIPS: Rich.Lieberman@GMAIL.COM

31 comments:

  1. You are awesome. Definitely a great blog for someone who wants to know what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for giving me hope that I will again be able to listen to and learn from John Rothman, Gene Burns and Gil Gross. I used to listen to Ronn Owens, but his performance on Friday really soured me - makes me see him in an entirely different light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good work Rich. This from someone who has supported you for YEARS when others on here were critical of what you do. It's nice to finally see you get your due! Mr. Media is my go to guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, we'll all just get used to it, I know you're in it so it's dramatic, but wait till next month when it's old news. Next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. see...no reason to boycott advertisers...or even threaten....

    and this is the radio version of new coke...or is it?

    can people this dopey really own and run a corp as large as cumulus?

    is this possibly not just a ploy to garner pub, sending the name brand kgo skyward?

    then in 6 months...cumulus admits their mistake, says they will now listen to the audience...and brings back talk radio...but the cookie cutter version (which is profitable...as syndicated shows cost little to nothing)

    hear me out...you all know liberman broadcasting...the mouse that roared...well, they branded themselves with similar stunts...the billboards that said "welcome to los angeles, mexico" and that go for the green show (where illegals could win legal help to get a green card) brilliant...pissed everyone off....but lenard showed up on fox, msnbc, etc...and people were talking about their stations

    kgo had become stale...would replacing one or two on air personalities make enough splash to bring back listeners in droves? takes time to build an audience....no....had to do something drastic...and they did

    and the sf, the internets and the industry are abuzz...mission accomplished

    and there is the conspiracy theory for the day....ill be back in 6 months to see if my prediction comes true

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rich, keep the fire burning! I'm sure you will be left off the Dickeys Xmas card list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I long for good news. You know, I've heard that you don't miss your water 'til the well runs dry.. and I feel exactly like that now. I have been listening to Len, Gene and John for so long I took them for granted.

    No more. As corny as it sounds, it's just been a few days, but I would just love to hear their voices again.

    Thanks for keeping us updated, Rich! And please tell us good news soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Talked with a number of advertisers today, and one is having a meeting with the KGO sales department on Thursday, and no, they are not happy. Almost all of the other advertisers I contacted were either pulling ads or considering pulling their advertising.

    Additional rumor is that there are people working to put together enough money to purchase a station locally and put the KGO talent back on the air.

    Thanks for the updates, will keep coming back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. KGO is now a second rate news station where there is another station that has tons of experience in doing 24/7 news.

    Also, what type of news station gets rid of national, network news? My world is a lot bigger than the latest robbery in Redwood City or the shooting in Richmond.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am 32 years old, so prime demographic. This is not something I will just "get over". I have been listening to many of these shows for years. I don't think poor Ronn Owens knew what to do. You know he thinks its BS, I've been missing the banter he had with Len Tillem since they moved Len's show from 12pm to 1... My commute was UNBEARABLE today. I deliberately left at 1pm so I could listen to Len, (who I've turned MANY people on to over the years). How could KGO do this? Its a fact that all of talk radio has been in a big decline due to the internet and other technology. Why the heck would they suddenly now decide to pull the plug on what has become their regular listener's routine? I feel like an old friend has died. An old friend who I spoke with daily that encouraged thought and taught me to look at situations differently. This is awful, so damn wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The idea of the management giving the excuse that they were losing money is utter bunk. First off you should never trust what the management says because it is quite common for them to lie in order to line their own pockets. IF it was issues within money they easily could have asked to negotiate new contacts, this has been seen all over the country and has worked successfully. I love when I hear people siding with the business even though no one has seen the actual P&L, it has not been reviewed by an independent source there are many accounting tricks that can be used to give the perception that they are loosing money when in fact they are profitable, or yet not profitable enough. My main rant is that there are many options that management could have taken, new contracts, new younger talent, etc. Netflix Deux anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep thinking that maybe they want to destroy teh voice that KGO gave to the the area. The management was so sneaky.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, us former listeners are mad. There wasn't anything like KGO in this country where you could have hosts of many different views and have a polite discourse with them.

    Was it perfect? No! But, the changes that have been made since Mickey Luckoff left only made KGO more difficult to listen to. While Stan Burford is still on the top of his game as a traffic anchor, no one else on the newscasts is worth 2 seconds.

    When I moved to the Bay Area, it used to be Jim Dunbar and Ted Wygant doing the morning news. While both were about the age of my grandparents, they were damn good on the radio. Afternoons were Ed Baxter and Rosie Allen who worked well together. Now, the news is being anchor by people who should be out in the field reporting.

    KGO failed to bring in qualified new blood to replace the retiring talent. The last two great moves by KGO management was dumping Dr. Laura and giving Pete Wilson a show (I still miss him today) and dumping the Afternoon News for Len Tillum. Since then, it hasn't been so great.

    However, there was still no other major market station that was so good. Now, KGO is just a half ass news station in a market with a station that knows how to actually do news. This is a loser for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our Bay Area community will run the Dickey's out of town on a rail. How dare they do this. Karma's a bitch. Believe it. I can't wait to have the last laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for your blog and updates. The information you are providing is very much appreciative.

    I have listened to KGO for over 30 years. And although I understand that businesses have the right to make changes, even drastic ones like the complete overhaul at KGO, it would have been much wiser, and certainly more ethical, to let the listeners say good-bye.

    KGO is, was, a Radio icon and treasure for the Bay Area. Management should have handled the change more thoughtfully.

    I wonder if they anticipated advertisers withdrawing their support?

    Thank you again

    ReplyDelete
  16. So, let me see if I get this right: in support of local talk radio, you're boycotting the only remaining talk shows on KGO? So that those weekend guys get the ax too? ok, that makes perfect sense.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mark my word. They will bring back talk radio to KGO in a year. . But it will be younger talent andwrote,less moneyt This is just a transition. Do they really think they can make money doing all news. I doubt it

    ReplyDelete
  18. God bless ya, Rich. Your blog is the ONLY place where we get get the REAL story about what's going on at KGO.

    I'm waiting to hear what you've got on Ronn Owens. The minute he opened his mouth on his "I'm as shocked as you are" show, I had the sense that he was just spouting B.S. And the timing of his vacation ("Yeah, I'm SO sad about my colleagues getting fired. Well, I'm off -- see ya in two weeks!") is suspicious as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ronn Owens most certainly tossed his co-workers under a gigantic bus.
    "I am very excited about this new format"
    or try this one from Ronn "We are a big family around here"
    Yeah right. . . . You big phony!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is Cumulus somehow associated with Young Broadcasting?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've listened to KGO for years! The way they did this was disgusting! I'll NEVER LISTEN TO KGO AGAIN! Ronn Owens rot in hell! You too Carell!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How soon 'till we get a reborn KGO online? I want Dr. Dean back, even if he does 2/week show in semi-retirement; I want Karel as part of the crew, I'd be willing to pay a modest subscription to listen to Gene, Gill, John Rothman, Christine Craft, Michael Finney, even the God talk guy and Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  23. KGO: Killed by a Greedy Organization

    ReplyDelete
  24. i agree with 10:31 p.m. they are going to get younger, cheaper talent because of the demographics; i.e., damon bruce, karel, brian copeland, etc. i am a 46 year old woman who commutes and would listen to ronn and gil, but got tired of the endless commercials. i personally think they should hire sarah from alice radio. you would be surprised at how many people listen to sara and vinny mainly because of her.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just "unliked" KGO Radio on my Facebook page - I erased the preset (former #1) from my car radio. IMHO, keeping only Ronn Owens was kind of stupid since now his supporting cast is all gone. How many people tuned in at 7pm to hear what Gene was going to say about Ronn's show and visa-versa? With Dr. Bill and Leo gone, no reason to listen. Of course ratings were going down - does it take a radio analyst to see that KCBS is now on AM and FM? If KGO competed on FM instead of laying down the dog, this may have been so different.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Rich, you are doing us all a great service by your indepth reporting. Thank you!!!

    For those who think we'll "get over it," you have another thing coming. Have listened for years -- started out in my teens. Funny that Cumulus thinks the prime demographic wants all-news, recycled, bad news-day, boring "news." T'aint true. KGO has been the talk station of choice for over 40 years. I too can't bear my commute, and when I turned on the radio a couple of times last night, actually heard the same thing I heard at 5:30 pm driving home.

    The talk show format allowed us to learn, keep on top of the news and other matters that involve us (legal, foodies, health, exercise, newstalk, you-name-it), and Cumulus decimated it. Even if Cumulus brought back the "old" KGO, I feel so betrayed that I still wouldn't listen again.

    Just read that 960 is turning right-wing thanks to Clear Channel.

    Thanks for ruining a truly unique San Francisco institution, Cumulus. May you tank and all your advertisers leave.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Moving ABC top of the hour news to :16 only during parts of the broadcast day. Now, that's current information. After listening to clips for parts of Monday and today, it's simply boring. There is little or no appetite for radio news after 7PM. Under the previous tutelage of Luckoff and others, they were experts at talk radio, which is what they do best. Look for a return to the familiar talk format with perhaps expanded news blocks within 90 days. The Dickey Boys won't like losing money.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Here's my prediction, for what it's worth.
    The backlash and advertiser response to last Thursday's staffing massacre is so pronounced that this formatting change will only accelerate KGO's slide in the ratings. Listenership wil continue to fall, ad revenues will continue to tumble, and at some point (I'm guessing within the next year) the bean counters at Cumulus will decide it's no longer profitable to keep KGO as part of its expansive radio holdings. The radio station will be sold to new owners, who will decide to return to the talk radio format, albiet with a combination of new and "old" talent.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Chances are with our luck and the Clueless Cumulus Clan running things their next bright idea will be yet another Spanish station . Up here in San Jose our long time rock station 92.3 KSJO got turned into a Chinese station of all things.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great work on this story, Rich. BTW, check out Peter Laufer's op-ed piece in today's Chronicle: "Demise of KGO talk radio silences community debate" http://bit.ly/vTiDDy.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I only hope that the Dickheads will reconsider their change and go back to the old format with the same hosts. Occupy the Dickheads! But Im not holding my breath the Dickheads dont give a shit about anyone.

    Radar

    ReplyDelete