Wednesday, June 22, 2011

5 Questions with KTVU's Ken Wayne; calls me a 'Genius', (Could you blame him?)



KTVU Weekend anchor/reporter, Ken Wayne, is one of the more underrated tonsils on the Bay Area airwaves. He's pretty good too, with a solid, steady delivery and no-nonsense approach-- part of the ultra-successful Channel 2 business model.

Acknowledge the fact that since I have written about how good you are, you're life has changed. Rich, since you've written such great things about me, my life has taken a dramatic change. I get the best tables at all the great SF restaurants, (no reservations), Willie Brown wants me to be his wingman, and news directors across the country are trying to get me out of my contract. It's all because of you. Thanks.


Are you that unassuming off the air or is it pretty much low-key 24/7? I'm pretty mellow. But I have my moments. Hayward PD put me in hand cuffs a few years ago because I was getting ticked off about a bogus crime scene tape they put up to keep cameras away. I've found when things are starting to spin out of control, at work or in life, it's better to try to slow down and take stock of things before doing something rash. I've been known to ignore my own advice.


Do you ever eat tofu? I prefer my tofu fried in a spicy chili sauce.


Everyone OK over at Jack London Square? I'd say all in all everything's pretty peachy at JLS. We know what's going on at other stations and the changes we've had to make here at Channel 2. We fight the good fight when we're able. When you consider the options you have to decide to go with the changes, or get off the bus. Most of us are staying on the bus as long as we can.


Why do you read 415 Media? I read 415 Media because you say nice things about me. If you didn't, I'd say you were a two-bit hack who didn't know squat. Instead, I think you're a frickin' genius.

*Follow me on Twitter

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nice read. I'm a fan of Ken Wayne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked with Ken during my years at KGO and found him to be exactly as Rich described him. It was a pleasure to have done so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff RL415.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. RL is a vain douchebag

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ken Wayne is the man!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of COURSE you're a genus.... it's in the gene pool! and you do give good blog!
    -Big sis, Richelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is worse than any interview I see KRON, and that is not saying much. Why not ask him about what you always 'blog' about, the news director Ed and if it is as bad there as you post? Why not ask about the attitude in the newsroom, the switch to younger talent? I know what his answers will be, he won't want to upset his boss but why not do what you claim you do best? Instead, you allow him to gush over your 'influence'. You are weak Mr. Media.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THIS is who should be anchoring the 10 O' Clock News!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wayne is solid. We like stability and longevity in our news reporters around here. Think Rita Williams. Not the flash of others but the respect. Wayne's in the same camp.

    "and news directors across the country are trying to get me out of my contract."

    Rich had the same affect on John Kessler! They call it "reassessing!!"" lol

    (Just kidding, Rich! In my book, Kessler jumped the gun and the people at NBC got their panties all in a bunch about it).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I worked w/Ken at the "old" KNTV back in the 80's (I was a photog). He was a joy to work with--the best kind of reporters we photogs loved to work with: He knew his shite...we got our job done...and we'd bitch/crack jokes/talk about chicks in the car (he used to tell me stories of his Navy days. Next time, ask him about his time in Olongapo!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rich, I heard Ken is related to John Wayne. Can you check on that?

    ReplyDelete