Saturday, April 10, 2010

Jim Brown round-up, media notes, the Oakland tribute; 'this and that on Saturday


Finally catching my breath after a long week of phone calls, last-minute 'schmoozing, follow-ups with people with massive egos that you really want to say something bad to, but can't because you're trying to make a show happen.

I played media event planner the past few months' with Jim Brown, the honored guest for his great foundation, "Amer-I-Can" at Monaghan's sports bar in Oakland. It was a resounding success by all accounts, with hundreds of people crowding the smallish facility in the Woodminster area.

Jim Brown brings out the great ones; Rick Barry, RC Owens, Greg Papa, Ted Robinson, Bob St. Clair, Vida Blue, Willie Brown, Jim Otto...all of 'em, including Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, which televised "Chronicle Live" direct from the event, along with XTRA Sports radio and Ken Dito doing a live remote.

We were busy all right and that was fun even though at times I felt as if I was about to collapse, which at one point I nearly did. Thank god for cold water and ice, as opposed to fire and ice, which is how I felt about one particular star player, (the only guy who didn't make the affair after his publicist and I played e-mail footsie for the better part of six weeks...."he has a lot of 'commitments you know, but he'll try." Really? For Jim Brown? Thanks Jerry Rice, and have fun at your golf show)

Yes, I'm bitching, but gloating too. There were a few other no-shows, but the big boys showed up and the media girls and boys were terrific. ...Ted Robinson is one class guy, as is Scott Ostler of the SF Chronicle and Monte Poole of the Oakland Tribune. You truly know how to depend on guys to promote your event and these guys came through mightily, as did Glenn Dickey.

Of course it helps when you have a guy like Jim Brown at the top of the marquee. I knew that Brown was big, real big, but I didn't think that would resonate THAT big for the event and was astounded that we packed in over 500 people in a restaurant/bar that can barely hold 300, (don't call the fire marshall.)

**Great vibe the entire night, except for the autograph mafia; there's nothing wrong with seeking autographs, but when you bring a suitcase full of helmets and pictures and playing cards, oy!...Great line from Brown: "They always ask me, 'Jim, why did you give up playing at the age of 29? 'I went to Hollywood to make movies, I had a lot of money, and I 'made love to Raquel Welch."...

Nuff said.

Pass the saltines.

No comments:

Post a Comment