Monday, February 8, 2010

KTVU rules Jan. No Surprise; Monday media pulse



KTVU dominates SF January 2010 local TV numbers. Is there anything else new? No big surprise.

What's more, the Fox2 aff keeps getting bigger numbers, not just at 10 PM, (thanks Jay Leno) but all news hours, although both CBS and ABC7 showed consistency in the early evening.

**Super Bowl overnights: Nielsen reports the preliminary overnights for Sunday's Saints-Indy Superbowl is the highest in 23 years. Over 100 million US viewers watched either all or parts of the game, and that doesn't include the overseas numbers.

**The ads: Other than the Letterman/Oprah/Leno 15-second spot, no one SB ad stood out. Sure, a few were ok, but nothing compared to previous years.

The only real eye-popper, besides Dave, Jay and Oprah, was FLO-TV's "Talkin' 'bout my generation" with The Who's audio over 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's news and culture footage. Visually effective and moderately entertaining; the Dorritos spot with the dog was funny.

**The WHO halftime: Its easy to rip Daltrey and Townshend for their truly horrific performance, and I'll continue to pile on. OK, so they're 64 and 65, respectively, and they sounded like it. Awful. Bring back Janet Jackson, Elton John, and/or Billy Joel. Something, hell, "Up with People."

"Tommy, can you hear me? Hello? Tommy? Can you hear me?" No.

**Follow me on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. (It's hard to follow a comment like the one above, but I'll try).

    The Dave/Jay/Oprah spot was memorable, but still somewhat lacking, in my opinion. It's notable for the first intelligent bit of PR on Jay's part in the past six months.

    I enjoyed the Betty White/Abe Vigoda football game ad myself.

    DailyHelping.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. HFM: Nice web site, DailyHelp.com; I especially like the damsel gracing the site todays, Ms. Hendricks? Whoa!

    ReplyDelete