Thursday, March 19, 2009

Thursday Potpurri; Radnich: Is he really "Tired?" Maybe. A Good Time To Consider Damon Bruce on KNBR


THURSDAY on KNBR's Gary Radnich Show:
In an interview with Comcast Warriors Analyst, Matt Steinmetz, Radnich jokingly asserted that 50-year-old men should get off a basketball court and "let the kids play" if indeed kids were waiting to play. OK. Laugh.
But Radnich repeated it earlier in the show, again, again, and again. He wasn't kidding, which is OK, but the "bit", assuming it was a bit at all, wasn't funny after the third mention, and when it became apparent that 'his Garyness wasn't kidding and was all too serious, the "bit" bordered on the extreme idiocy that Radnich's show has become lately.
It's every one's right to poke fun at 50-year old guys that may have family's and kids and enjoy playing a pick-up basketball game or shooting one-one themselves, but Radnich makes it a habit.
In Gary's world, if you don't have kids and sort of carry on your life en fuego, you're not on his radar, which given the situation at KNBR, should be put in perspective.
Radnich's show is tired. It's also in a perpetual state of utter staleness. You can almost dial up the same routine every morning. Open show with assorted line; sometimes funny, lately, predictable and not funny. Fifteen minutes of schtick with assorted producers, gophers, and the other assorted masses still employed at the Cumulus property.
Thirty minutes with Tony Bruno at the top of the hour, which lately is comprised of a bombardment of sound effects, idle caller chit-chat, more sound effects, obscure rap music, and three minutes of sports. Cut to twenty minutes of commercials, half of which are male-enhancement products and the rest, a tax guy and an eye guy.
After an interview, which is touted as if the host was talking to a sports figure of some significance, as opposed to any of the three or four obscure sports writers or athletes Radnich schmozzes with, the show comes to an end. Again, it's tired, it's the same, and it's all too predictable.
And sports is a mere rumor in the 9-Noon slot, which is OK, nobody cares about whether Randy Winn is a great right-fielder for the Giants, but it would be nice to mix in a little NCAA chatter, NFL, and NBA stuff, without the overabundance of whether 50-year-old guys hog a basketball court. That's not funny anymore.
Inside the KNBR building a staffer has told me that "Radnich doesn't have it anymore--he has no show worth listening to. It's the same old 'stuff and it's lost it's flair. Anybody who can listen to that '-hit is either bored or has no taste". I'm not going to mention the person's name because he told me so. Normally, I would demand such comments mean, "go on the record", but given Radnich's clout, albeit waning, I'll let this go because I, myself, feel the same.
And being that most every known sports figure in the Bay Area dare critique the 'mighty one, for fear of not being invited on the show, and outwardly thrown the door, I'll go ahead and cast a few stones. It's about time someone stood up and nipped Radnich once and awhile and wasn't worried about being banned from the SF sports nadir.
So, I'll just say it. Perhaps KNBR should begin seriously thinking about someone who is fresh and airy and can deliver a snappy three-hour show that is strong and moves along; has refreshing, unpredictable and new ideas, can do a mean interview and not back down, and is ready to take command and is knowledgeable too.
Damon Bruce is that person. Currently, KNBR's 7-10 guy, a talented, funny, fresh, and remarkably adept host who has incredible wit, an uncanny knowledge of the pro and college game, be it the NFL, college football, the NBA, and baseball too.
This isn't a "dump-on-Gary" moment. Full disclosure: A long, long time ago, when moi was selling cars, Radnich popped me for a car for his daughter. And way, way, way, back in time, the G-man secured me a small loan, (I paid him back) We've known one another off and on for over twenty years--I used to call him frequently a few years back before I got out of the car biz and Gary's yes-men put a kibosh on me calling in....I don't think they liked me--I'll assume it was because I dare question the "great _Radu", but that's another story.
Bruce is 34, one of KNBR's more solid performers--some would say the BEST. Bruce could carry the 5-9 AM "Morning Show" and deliver double the numbers the current schlums that work that time slot, but that's just my opinion. And I said it. So there.
***************************************************************************
The NCAA "March Madness" is in full throttle-mode. I'm watching CAL play Maryland; it's close to halftime and the Bears look vulnerable against a weak Maryland team. This is a game they should win, but no matter what happens, I'm going for a cheeseburger and diet coke at Crogan's.
Even if CAL wins, they'd have to play Memphis in the second round Saturday, so I'm not that going to get too excited either way.
Halftime score: Maryland: 34 CAL: 31. CBS coverage is stale. The announcers sound like Insurance guys from Toledo. I'm bored. Didn't I just say that earlier?
*******************************************************************************
Was in Uptown Oakland last night for a restaurant opening. One of the best, most sumptuous events I've been to, and I've been to a few. "Pican", a swanky, illustrious, upscale with a capital "U" and the food is to die for. Everyone looks big here. KTVU's Frank Somerville and Joe Fonzi come by and say hi. Fonzi and I talk about the old days of Bay Area media when Dennis Richmond was making a million at Channel 2 and Van Amberg pulled down about 850K at KGO.
It's time to eat again, see the pretty ladies, and have my schmoozing move back to the Caddy.
It's 10. Time to go home.
Check out "PICAN" on Broadway, right next to Ozumo. And go up and say hi to owner Michael LeBlanc and tell him "Big Vinny" gives his "thumbs-up". At Pican, it's NY and Chicago, with a smidgen of New Orleans meets Oakland. The place is a winner. Looks like they spent some money on this joint. One restaurant guy who was there told me, "over $4 million, easily".
Just go inside, eat, sit at the sumptuous bar and save a place for me.
PICAN: 2295 Broadway, Oakland, CA (510) 834-1000 Opening: 3-23 http://www.picanrestaurant.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment